The Golf Connection - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 536
View Sully's Photo Album My Photos
Default The Golf Connection

So back in August I was contacted by a person who claimed to print a directory for high end country clubs. He offered ad spaces from 400-1000 dollars and he would design the ad. I told him I'd think about it I'm busy I'll get back to him. I thought it was too expensive. Well today this person called and left a voicemail offering the ad space again. Then he repeatedly called me until I sleepily answered the phone. He rattled off a few local country club names and gave me some 30 second commercial about what he does. I then asked if he was located in florida since that's the area code that came up. He said yes and I said ok. Here's what I'm going to do I'm going to call these country clubs up and ask about your company. He then preceded to tell me that well they used golf digest last year and they were switching over to them this year and if I spoke to a receptionist that they'd have no idea what I was talking about since it wasn't who to deal with. I told him to beet feet and that if the receptionist didn't know what it was then I wasn't paying for any kind of ad space. I called the country club and guess what. This happens all the time! Any one else get a call from this clownshoe?
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 20
Thanked 5,148 Times in 2,803 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I did this once. I had an existing customer who mentioned seeing the add. That was it. I get calls all the time for this. I bought the half page add when I did it I think (might have even been a full page). Zero return. I had no call to action, just a more brochure looking piece.

I personally would not do it again.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

There are so many of these idiots out there its unbelievable. My general rule is to never do any sort of business with someone who calls me randomly trying to sell something. 99% of the time its a scam. If I need something I will research and then call.

Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
Scotiadawg (12-23-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 536
View Sully's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah total scam I'm not considering it in the least. It just urked me today because it's so close to the holidays and it's the slow season, paying for a false ad is the last thing anyone needs right now. I'd love to have a bunch of rowdy painters blow up his phone with calls. Guy deserves it.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Paint to fish

They do send out the magazines like they say. So, in my case at least, it was not a scam that I could tell. Just no return on the investment. We do a lot of exterior work on condos that are part of the country clubs at the courses the magazine went to so I was hoping the double exposure would get more interior work for us. Of the 4 golf courses it went to, we work on condos at 3 of them. Seemed like good exposure.

My policy now though is like Pat's. If you need to call me randomly to sell it, I am not buying it.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 680
View matt19422's Photo Album My Photos

I've been the target recently of the following:

Country club & private development listings.

The Insurance Claim Pages.

And the kicker, I won best of:

Matt Tedesco Painting has been selected for the 2011 Best of Blue Bell Award in the Painting Contractors category by the US Commerce Association (USCA).

If you pay $200.00 they will send you the placard!

Leave me alone!
matt19422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Paint to fish

Those are my favorite: Send us money and we will send you a plaque and publish it somewhere where no one will ever see it.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

I get a local golf course calling me to put a add up at the ball cleaning stations, its a piece of plywood with business card size adds.

Have you had the radio adds call you up? I've answered the phone to hearing my add done up already, Its all phucked up.

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 12-22-2011 at 03:47 PM..
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Those are my favorite: Send us money and we will send you a plaque and publish it somewhere where no one will ever see it.
I think the NGPP has a few contests like that

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 152
View mblosik's Photo Album My Photos

yep...got these calls, too. both the ball-washing station, and the magazine, and the insurance claims pages. you always think: "oh, well, it's only $500 or whatever; it'll just take one job to make that up. from what i've heard and read; you never get that one job, and then you are out that money that could be more wisely spent on anything with SEO online.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 1,001 Times in 524 Posts
View premierpainter's Photo Album My Photos

We did it and got no calls. She called me this year and I said that our office manager would kill me if I signed up again. The lady said that it was a different company...nope, same company

premierpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Scotiadawg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt19422 View Post
I've been the target recently of the following:

Country club & private development listings.

The Insurance Claim Pages.

And the kicker, I won best of:

Matt Tedesco Painting has been selected for the 2011 Best of Blue Bell Award in the Painting Contractors category by the US Commerce Association (USCA).

If you pay $200.00 they will send you the placard!

Leave me alone!
Yeah they're all a pain in the arse. I signed on to a contractor forum where a bunch of NS contractors go and that evening a got a call from an outfit in Halifax to call ASAP about an ad I placed with the forum ( part of the sign-up thing) so I thought it must be a good lead. When I called a got the standard recorded message " thank you for calling our corporate offices blah blah blah" . The following day they called again and it was a web design company from Halifax wanting me to hire them to create a web page for me. They just trolled the forum looking for a new easy score. I also used to get a lot of calls for a "free trip" : "this is your captain calling to confirm your free flight to........ Riiiiiiight.
Scotiadawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None