Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

good compact sprayer

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  MikeCalifornia 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm a novice when it comes to spraying with the exception of the proshot when it first came out.

I want to spray doors, bookshelves, trim, shutters, ect. is there a rig that works on the smaller side that you like?

I want a HVLP for less overspray, but I don't like hearing that they do not run paint through them very efficiently.

What works for you when you spray waterbournes and oil based primers & finish coats?

I have researched:

-fuji Q4
-apollo
-titan capspray
-titan 440

#6 ·
matt19422 said:
Can u spray bookshelves and kitchen cabinets in an occupied setting with proper masking? I dunno, most of my work is residential occupied... That is why I thought an hvlp would cut back on the overspray
You have to mask and paper. I use this new 3m "ionized" plastic. Basically has static kling to it. I did a kitchen with it. Still have to tape it. Set up is way simpler. But I just blocked off the doorway and zip poled the great room off. Shoot at like 800 psi on your sprayer and say 28 pounds of air. Comes out awesome. Truly the finest spray mist I've ever seen

#7 ·
READY TO ROLL said:
What is the difference between a 390 and a 395?
Technically. A little more gpm. On the job. I have seen no difference. 440 impact, 390, 395, 400 advantage. All the same pump. I buy these. Then move up to 1gpm pumps. Anything from a 595/640/695/etc. All a waste of money in my opinion. You can't efficiently run more guns out out of a drum without that 1gpm. So buy the small ones and save or rent the big ones.

#11 ·
I would say 5 stage for HVLP. I have a 3 stage and a broken 5 stage and both need thinning for latex, but the 5 stage much less.

As for overspray, I find HVLP tends to send it airborne more, especially if you turn up the air a bit to get better atomization. Drifts further. Airless does not tend to fog the air as much and drift as far, but puts more waste close to where you are spraying.

I personally do not like using HVLP for full size interior doors.

If you are not used to spraying, I think the FinishPro 395 will frustrate you. I know the stock set up frustrated me until I made changes. With a regular 395, you can do most of what a typical painter needs to do. HVLP adds spray staining, furniture, etc to the mix.

#16 ·
If you want a fine finish machine that's light and compact but you don't like the issues around an HVLP then get a Graco air assisted airless. I have a 290 that I use for doors, trim and anything ornate. This machine gets you the production of an airless, and the finish of an HVLP, only 2 downsides, you have to stay on top of keeping the inside of the machine mint, and fine finish toss are expensive.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

#17 ·
The bigger pump you can afford the better. More gpm's and other commentators suggestions are right on with the AAA if you decide to go that route. If you want to shoot wall paint, you can, if you want to shoot fine finish trim work/cabinets etc. you can. It's a good all in one vehicle.

If your looking for something super small and portable (backseat of the car) then try one of the smaller graco units. You could always get fine finish tips to spray stuff with and it'll work pretty good still. Just depends on how much cash you can throw at the purchase.

Titan = no bueno in my opinion. If I had to buy my 440 all over again I'd go with Graco. I broke with tradition because I heard all this great stuff etc. It's a nice machine, but I'm not overly impressed and I've already had to get it service once (not even 4 months old). Graco in my book is tried and true. If I had to go with it all over again I'd vote Graco all day.

My 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.