Goodbye- thanks guys - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View mjkpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Goodbye- thanks guys

I wanted to sincerely thank you guys for all the help and advise you have given me over the past few years. Not only have you guided a me in running a small painting company, some of you have privately given me some great advice on my personal life during some of the tougher times in my life. A few times the correspondence was tough primarily due to my fault but in the end- you guys were right on the ball.

I have decided to pack it in for the time being. Maybe I'll do some small jobs from time to time in the future but I sold my van and dissolved the business. For those of you that don't know me I am a teacher that ran a FULL time painting business and grinded it out as hard as I could for the past 8 years in Connecticut. I worked my tail off and painted after I got out of school til 9 or 10 pm and 12 hours on Sat and Sun. I never missed work. I wasn't the regular teacher with the part time painting gig. When people asked me what I did for a living the answer was
"Im a painter" and there wasn't one time that I wasn't proud of it.

I came to the conclusion that (for me) it is extremely difficult (especially when trying to start a family) to run a legitimate (home improvement license, liability ins., van payment, van insurance, taxes, quoting, buying materials, marketing, returning phone calls) business with my schedule.

To be honest when I tore the signage off the van yesterday, I started to cry. I put my heart and soul into this and part of me feels like I failed. To be honest- 90% of me feel like I failed. The other 10% is just people telling me that I work too hard and should start enjoying life more. My emotions started when cleaning out the van I found a pair of pantyhose from one of my first jobs. I remember how I took them out of my girlfriends (wife now) drawer so I could strain the 5 gallon eggshell linen white bucket that was given to me from my cousin that he used at his house 4 years prior to giving it to me. I had no money then and really had no clue what I was doing. I did hundreds of jobs since and part of me feels like I 7 years later I would still do the same and didn't make any progress.

I have built some fantastic relashionships from this forum and love you guys. I have learned so much from you guys and wanted to just say THANK YOU. You helped me through the good and bad. This has been an invaluable experience for me.

I will continue to check into the forum and keep up to date with whats going on. Just wanted to say thank you. I have had some great times here and I think this an A+ site with that has some real good people.

There were many times when I thought that some of you regular guys were a little harsh and inappropriate. I learned to read more and type less. You made me realize I wasn't a master painter and there are guys out there that had more experience and know a heck of a lot more than I did and had better ways as well as better reasoning. You guys work hard and deserve respect. God bless and wish you the best.

Thanks guys

Mike Kelly
MJK Painting LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mjkpainting; 08-25-2009 at 09:15 PM..
mjkpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to mjkpainting For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (08-25-2009), ACPINTER (08-26-2009), Calist (08-26-2009), daArch (08-25-2009), deach (08-28-2009), ewingpainting.net (11-06-2009), George Z (08-25-2009), graybear13 (08-25-2009), Jay123 (08-26-2009), JAYJAY (08-25-2009), johnpaint (08-25-2009), ledgestonepainting (08-27-2009), Mantis (08-25-2009), michfan (08-26-2009), mistcoat (08-27-2009), Nathan (08-26-2009), nEighter (08-25-2009), PressurePros (08-25-2009), ProWallGuy (08-25-2009), RCP (08-25-2009), slickshift (08-28-2009), The Painter Guy (08-25-2009), waho6o9 (08-25-2009), Wing 54 (08-25-2009), Wolfgang (08-26-2009)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
View KLaw's Photo Album My Photos

No matter your direction (You do have a direction - right?) - We wish you the best of luck on your journey!
KLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Mike,
Thanks for all the kind words of the forum. It sure beats the usual good bye you S.O.B's
I wish you luck in putting all your energy into your other full time job and your family. It is good for a man to have his priorities in order, so many do not. I hope you have a warm and relaxing winter.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for posting that, it must have been a difficult decision. I wish you and your family all the best. Teaching is an honorable job and it is great to see good role models for our kids!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,888
Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,140 Posts
View George Z's Photo Album My Photos

Posts like this make it all worth it.
Two of my young painters will be teachers soon.
They love painting but they will be teachers.
Teaching is one of the most important professions.
Right up there with painting!

All the best!

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
nEighter (08-25-2009)
Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Good luck..

I employ two teachers every summer that have been with me sine they went to collage. Maybe you can work with someone in the summers and make some money and not have to worry about all the rest...

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK-Deco View Post
Good luck..
Getting pulled back in I see.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Mr Kelly,

You're a class act.

BTW, I know what it is like to fold up a painting company and bring in the shingle. A LOT OF ANGST !

God bless and good luck !

-Bill

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #9

View graybear13's Photo Album My Photos

Bless your heart , friend, you made a tough decision and I hope the best for you and your family . It's hard on a man to work two jobs and you have my respect .
graybear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Mike, don't be saddened. You have learned and did what many people only dream of. You will take your knowledge and experience through the rest of your life and be able to guide your children. There is no shame in that whatsoever. Best of luck in your endeavors.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:38 AM   #11
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
Mike, don't be saddened. You have learned and did what many people only dream of. You will take your knowledge and experience through the rest of your life and be able to guide your children. There is no shame in that whatsoever. Best of luck in your endeavors.

I agree, well said
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkpainting View Post
To be honest when I tore the signage off the van yesterday, I started to cry. I put my heart and soul into this and part of me feels like I failed. To be honest- 90% of me feel like I failed.
Anybody who can stick it out successfully working two jobs for 8 years is not a failure. In fact your are a great example of determination and enterpreneurship.

Starting a family is just another great chapter in your life and you may find it just as hard. (and even more rewarding)

Good luck.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #13

Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Can I have your van?

Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Right!

Rewards Points: 500
View LOSTinDETAILS's Photo Album My Photos

Best of luck to you and your family.
"If you want to go back to a time where we were just a bunch of Serfs under the control of an all powerful king - go ahead and vote republican. And not only will we be dirt poor - we'll be paying these kings rent to farm the land." -Delusional TURD
LOSTinDETAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 250
View deach's Photo Album My Photos

With the class you've shown here, I'd be honored to have my grandkids being taught by you. My father taught machine shop for 31 years. The system needs more people like you in it. God Speed and good luck to you and your family.

deach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,982
Thanked 9,671 Times in 5,510 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm"...Winston Churchill

MJK, it may appear like a failure to you, but it isn't.

Last edited by CApainter; 08-26-2009 at 10:46 AM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #17

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

It was great having you, come back and drop in as you can.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #18

View DarthPainter's Photo Album My Photos

I wish that I had been active enough and joined sooner and had the chance to interact with you. You're a real class act (pun maybe intended).

While I'm not arrogant enough to say that I know what you're going through and what you've went through, I can empathize; I had my own business for 2 years and worked 12-18 hour days ever day. It took off and did better than I could have ever imagined, and then I walked away. It was successful, but it simply began to consume me; I never saw my family or friends. I lost 30 pounds and began smoking and drinking. Once I had reached a level of success I was comfortable with I could have probably offloaded some responsibility to others, but I felt like I was losing something in doing so. In the end, my family showed me that it was just too much sacrifice and not enough gain. I cried for a week, but I've never regretted my decision, and I believe sincerely that you won't either.

In losing something wonderful, you are gaining something far more precious: the time you would have not spent with your family. It takes a smart man to know what he treasures in life, the kind of man it takes to mold impressionable young minds into well rounded adults. I bid you all the very best, my friend.
DarthPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarthPainter For This Useful Post:
johnpaint (08-26-2009)
Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #19
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

I'd cry too if I had to jack it all in.
But at least you DID it and no doubt enjoyed it while you were in the game.

I take my hat off to you!!!

BTW,,,,,,,,,,,,, you'll be back

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #20
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos
Default Class...and Guts

Heart-wrenching as your story is, it took a great amount of Class...and Guts...to make such a post.
Thank You.

Your story hits way to close to home for comfort, and does bring a feeling of sadness and loss to me.
But that's OK...truly it's best to know when to call it quits.
Your publicly posting this will surely help others in their own personal decisions in this regard.

Truth is, most painting (and other) businesses fail...one way or another.
It's not that the painter is bad...it's just maybe other factors, like needing a steady paycheck for the wee ones, or being a poor choice as a "business owner" (rather than a "great painter").

Many people seem to think of "success" as doing one thing right, it's really being able to avoid several things that can mess up success (which in itself, may be indefinable).
Every Famous Entrepreneur's Biography is full of "failures"...there is just one (or maybe a few) that actually worked (the more "worked" ones, the more "failed" ones)
It's a sticky wicket at best.
(take a look at Edison's failed inventions collection...it's huge!..even the Light Bulb...it wasn't him, it was invented years before, he just made it more "workable" )

For you, this must have been a huge (HUGE) decision emotionally, please do not take this lightly, and consider looking into some professional assistance with this transition...even if it's just some books from the library on how to deal with this or something.
You are not alone.
...and it is a big deal...to you...and your mental health.
Maybe you don't need it...but hey, it couldn't hurt.
Worst case you'll have more ammo and back up for what lies next, whatever that may be.

Again:
Thank You.
You already have helped people by posting this.

Please consider yourself "semi-retired", and please remain an active member of our community, and please do not hesitate to contribute to our little part of the interweb.
You've been there, and you've walked away...that doesn't mean you don't have something to contribute to the community...think about it...in many ways you've got way more to contribute than others.

Regardless, you've shown such Guts and Class, I'm sure you will succeed in whatever follows.
Truly attitude matters so much more than technical knowledge in so many actual applications, and many quality organizations recognize that fact.

Fair Winds and Following Seas

---Slick

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slickshift For This Useful Post:
RCP (08-28-2009)

Tags
None