got my first interior bid to do - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View disantodrywall&paint's Photo Album My Photos
Default got my first interior bid to do

ok so after three years of drywalling and hoping to get paint work, i got a call to go do a bid at a house. its interior painting only. ive done plenty of new construction paint. this is my first repaint of a paint job only. some questions i have are:

1. What should i look for besides the obviouse wall repair, caulking around trim work. etc.

2. Also I usually bid everything by the sq ft. I was told that that wont work in a repaint. i have an hourly rate as well but have never used it.

3. I use benjamin moore aura paint for almost everythig but its like 68 bucks a gal. What else could i use that works well for interior paint and isnt as much $$$$.

Thanks guys i know its common sense questions, but this is my first one like i said for a regular customer, thats not family or my own home. and im a little nerovous. so any tips would be great. thanks again.
disantodrywall&paint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Take each room seperately and figure out how many hours it is going to take to complete the entire room. Figure in the following, how much moving of furniture and stuff is involved, how much room do you have to work when stuff is moved to the center of a room, how much repair/prep needs to be done, and don't forget to find out colors and sheens because the deeper the color the more coats and the higher the sheen the better the prep needs to be.
Then add up your total hours for all your rooms and multiply your labor rate by that. Add in materials and profit and you have your number.
Cheap paint cost more to apply then good paint. 2 coats of Aura in any color and 9 out of 10 times your done. SW Cashmere is a decent product that is a little less expensive but it is not of the same quality as Aura.
Just look at the job as just a bunch of single rooms to paint and it won't seem so overwhelming. Best of luck.
Greenworks Painting (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Bukchewi

Rewards Points: 10
View bukchewi's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by disantodrywall&paint
ok so after three years of drywalling and hoping to get paint work, i got a call to go do a bid at a house. its interior painting only. ive done plenty of new construction paint. this is my first repaint of a paint job only. some questions i have are:

1. What should i look for besides the obviouse wall repair, caulking around trim work. etc.

2. Also I usually bid everything by the sq ft. I was told that that wont work in a repaint. i have an hourly rate as well but have never used it.

3. I use benjamin moore aura paint for almost everythig but its like 68 bucks a gal. What else could i use that works well for interior paint and isnt as much $$$$.

Thanks guys i know its common sense questions, but this is my first one like i said for a regular customer, thats not family or my own home. and im a little nerovous. so any tips would be great. thanks again.
Are you a one man band if so take in account that things take time buy yourself . If you're been working in a crew in the past it can be hard to adjust . Over estimate your time and hope all goes well . Don't sell yourself short . Just to get the job .
bukchewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,396
Thanked 9,628 Times in 5,476 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

No offense, but isn't this like claiming to be a firefighter, for an exaggerated example, knowing that people will call on you for your service, but have no idea how to put out the fire once you're there?

It doesn't matter whether you're a licensed contractor, or a glorified side jobber, once you've declared yourself a self employed person for hire, you'd better be prepared to follow through with your declaration, with promise and conviction. Otherwise, you're just being a fraud, and should probably gain more experience under the tutelage of a professional until you're ready for such a commitment, or you may be putting yourself at risk.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
TDS Quality Painting

Rewards Points: 75
View painterguy07's Photo Album My Photos

I'd open an account at Sherwin Williams. I use the higher end paints there and normally get them around $40/ gal. I bid everything by total sq ft.
painterguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

I never understood why people have a hard time going from bidding jobs by the sqft to just by the job. You still need to consider the job as a whole. It's just that you don't divide by the sqft after you figure it out.

I don't understand when you say you usually use aura when this is your first repaint?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TJ Paint For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25
View Greenworks Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with Lambrecht. Just go through the actual motions of doing all the work (moving, repairs, covering, etc) and envision how long the whole job will take you. Multiply the total number of hours by your hourly rate and you will come up with your charge for labor. I typically adjust a little depending on how comfortable I am with my evaluation, so if i'm not so sure about something I may add an hour or 2 to pad myself. Next add in your paint cost and miscellaneous items (such as gas, plastic, caulk, etc). And Oila...you have your quote.

If you are using Aura at $68/gal...then you should try BM Regal Select. I am currently paying $38.99/gal in the Chicago area for this stuff and it's been working out great. It's a low V.O.C. 'green' product and it's also a primer and paint all in one. The coverage on it is really good and it uses the new GenX tints. $68/gal on Aura seems like you're paying too much. Make sure you do a good job negotiating your prices lower. I often will threaten to take my business to Sherwin Williams if I don't get better pricing. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. The only way to get really good leverage for negotiating prices down is by doing more business with your supplier. If you're buying $100k/year worth of paint then you're going to get a much better price than someone spending only $10k/year. Of course there's only so far you can go to beat them down!
__________________________________________________ _______________
Chicago Painters Chicago Residential Painters Chicago Painting Contractor Chicago Commercial Painters

Last edited by Greenworks Painting; 09-22-2012 at 01:04 PM..
Greenworks Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 254
View DanielMDollaPainting's Photo Album My Photos

I get 20% off retail on Ben Moore at ace hardware. I get Regal for under 40$. I use SW super paint and PM 200 most of the time. Two coats of just about anything should cover in a sensible color. Duration and Aura are great but only needed when ultimate washability is desired. Superpaint or Regal Or PM 200 cover great and look fine. Add up the gross wall/ceiling sq ft. Any decent painter should be able to cut and roll a coat on 1000sq ft of board in an 8hr day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DanielMDollaPainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None