Got stuck with a JUNK job today. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree17Likes

Old 03-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 122
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos
Default Got stuck with a JUNK job today.

Dang it. We've talked about these type of jobs before. You know, the ones you say you will do "sometime this winter" but you only want to do it if things are slow.

Well, a landlord nailed me on one today. He has given me great work in the past on some of his nice rentals.......pays the minute you're done......said he had a duplex that needed some holes patched, a few ceilings painted, sort of routine, EXCEPT both units were occupied by SMOKERS. One was a 30 something couple, the girl kept yawning the whole time I was there saying "how tired I am." Over and over and over.......her boyfriend never looked up from his phone the whole time I was there.

The other side of the duplex was a mother and her mid-20's son and they were very nice.

So, have you had to do any JUNK JOBS of late?
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 602
View Eagle Cap Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I did a trailer as a favor for my landlady (she got me into a great home that the owner wants to sell me). There was only enough budget to repair the worst of the worst. The park manager was incredibly helpful at least when my rig got stuck in the snow and I got to practice my drywall patching.
Attached Thumbnails
Got stuck with a JUNK job today.-trailer.jpg  

Got stuck with a JUNK job today.-trailer2.jpg  

Gymschu likes this.
Eagle Cap Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

We had a borderline hoarders house and since we pick and choose more of the exclusive homes we have had to fix alot of hackers cut lines.
Gymschu likes this.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 408
Thanked 15,586 Times in 8,226 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Last one we had was last year. Rental occupied by a handicapped individual confined to a wheelchair who was also a heavy smoker. You could actually tell where she spent most of her time by the accumulation of nicotine residue on the walls and ceiling. Never again.
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-09-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 602
View Eagle Cap Painter's Photo Album My Photos

The worst stories I've heard are all from public housing: painting a bedroom with someone still in the bed or buying a snowshovel to pull a mountain of dirty diapers away from a wall. I did a HUD complex 3 years ago where someone had been dumping dog poop out of their 2nd story window on the regular, leaving a huge pile below the window on the first floor. Another occupant's room in the same complex smelled so badly that the window-mounted AC exhaust made me gag and I drove home to get a respirator just to caulk that area.
Eagle Cap Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Cap Painter View Post
The worst stories I've heard are all from public housing: painting a bedroom with someone still in the bed or buying a snowshovel to pull a mountain of dirty diapers away from a wall. I did a HUD complex 3 years ago where someone had been dumping dog poop out of their 2nd story window on the regular, leaving a huge pile below the window on the first floor. Another occupant's room in the same complex smelled so badly that the window-mounted AC exhaust made me gag and I drove home to get a respirator just to caulk that area.
Eagle Cap, noooooooo, those are downright nasty stories......

I had one that was similar to your dog poop/window story........house rental.....tenants had their water supply shut off for non-payment. The toilet was filled to the rim with sh** as I was somewhat expecting. What I didn't expect to see was the dozens and dozens of mason jars, old peanut butter canisters all filled with, you guessed it, human sh**. They didn't even bother to fill up any five gallon buckets with their 'gifts.'
Eagle Cap Painter likes this.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 84
Thanked 5,847 Times in 3,157 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Those must've been desperate times, fellas.

I'd have to laugh and walk away from those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,744
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

For some reason , I always make more money on the junk jobs. I've learned some crazy blow and go techniques through the years. I lived in Vegas for a while, about 17-18 years ago, when I was still quite the rookie. I got a job doing apartment repaints. It was peice rate. For spraying a 1 bedroom apt, I got 60 bucks. Well, I was doing 3-4 a day, so I did pretty good. That taught me a form of sharpshooting that very few painters can do. Nowadays, when I get a junk job, I can blast it out so quick (even without spraying), that I sometimes make $500 a day. O learned speed from apartment repaints and tracts, and learned quality from doing high end work, so I try to find the perfect blend for each job, depending on the customer, budget and expectations, so when I get these crap jobs, I blast it out, and still make it look reasonably good, and end up with more profit, cuz I dont eat up time nitpicking everything to death.

Of course, exteriors are a different ballgame, obviously.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:16 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I looked at junk job yesterday that was a referral from a real estate agent I've done work for in the past. The owner has a wish list a mile long and no money. There was so much crap everywhere because they were packing that it was tough to get an idea of what condition the house was even in.

I've been thinking if Its even worth my time to write up an estimate when I don't want the job. Plus, they're having two other painters look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #10

"I've been thinking if Its even worth my time to write up an estimate when I don't want the job. Plus, they're having two other painters look at it."--PNW Painter

^^^^^^These are the worst of the "junk jobs." Bidding on a job where the owner has NO MONEY and you're going up against two other suckers, er, painters. I know I almost want to just turn around and walk out when I find that out.

Then there's the ones that are apartment dwellers.......they want their apartment (that they don't own, btw) painted, and, of course the owner is going to pay for it........but, the owner has no money.......and he's hard to track down. Yeah, that's high on my priority list.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
Anonymous Tard

Rewards Points: 14
View getrex's Photo Album My Photos

I'm starting to think that any job that involves oil paint is a junk job. The house we just did had so much dust, grime, and cat hair that two of us were having allergic reactions. We finish the walls in four rooms (fine), but the HO wants all of the trim in the house done and it is oil. It being a 100+ year old house it has that fancy 8" baseboard and 6" cases. The best part? All of the windows are caulked and painted shut. Mothe...... After three days of oil trim I thought I was going to die.
getrex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getrex For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,882
Thanked 4,618 Times in 2,570 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by getrex View Post
I'm starting to think that any job that involves oil paint is a junk job. The house we just did had so much dust, grime, and cat hair that two of us were having allergic reactions. We finish the walls in four rooms (fine), but the HO wants all of the trim in the house done and it is oil. It being a 100+ year old house it has that fancy 8" baseboard and 6" cases. The best part? All of the windows are caulked and painted shut. Mothe...... After three days of oil trim I thought I was going to die.
Be careful with that. If you've ever gotten poisoned by that stuff, you'll know the terror of wondering if you're brain is ever gonna be ok again. Think LSD. Not the strong stuff from the 60's, but still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
Anonymous Tard

Fortunately I was fine after a day or so but my coworker gets respiratory infections every time we use oil and he doesn't have insurance.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Fortunately I was fine after a day or so but my coworker gets respiratory infections every time we use oil and he doesn't have insurance.
Get a respirator with chem cartridges. Those brain cells aren't gonna grow back again. I don't like wearing them either, but I'd rather use one than get enstupened.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
Anonymous Tard

Do you know where might sell those cheaply? I have a respirator.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Do you know where might sell those cheaply? I have a respirator.
Almost every paint shop I've been to has them, but I suppose you might get one a bit cheaper at HD. I know money's tight sometimes, but keep in mind you're talking about your brain, etc. Being exposed to that stuff with no ventilation or respirator is a guarantee that bad stuff's happening to you.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,450
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

I find the cheapest around here is miller paint for respirator cartridges. $9.00 a pair, without any bulk discount.
Wildbill7145 likes this.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
I find the cheapest around here is miller paint for respirator cartridges. $9.00 a pair, without any bulk discount.
Good advice from the man with the signature that makes me laugh every time I see it. It's also very relevant in this discussion. discussion.
ridesarize likes this.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:08 PM   #19
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

BTW, it's actually tar residue, not nicotine, or so I was told.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #20
Anonymous Tard

After looking around the basic option is 3M 6001 Organic Vapor cartridges ($10 on Amazon). I went with 3M 60926 with the P100 HEPA filter because it also protects against mold, dust, lead, and other gases like bleach, thinner, xylene, etc. $22 through Amazon.

Thanks guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to getrex For This Useful Post:
Wildbill7145 (03-12-2017)

Tags
None