The Grinch of DIYChatroom - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree32Likes

Old 05-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,068
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos
Default The Grinch of DIYChatroom

@PACman, you sure have been "testy" over on the sister board, DIYChatroom lately. I sense that your retail clientele is pushing you to your limits after they go to the big box stores, get bad advice, then come into your store and tell YOU what's best for their painting project.

Feel free to vent here.

Sincerely,
Cindy Lou Who
Attached Images

chrisn likes this.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,502
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Ya PAC, let off some steam. https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...n-video-latest
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 710
Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,453 Posts
View fauxlynn's Photo Album My Photos

Don’t do it publically! Go whine in the business section. Because I care

Last edited by fauxlynn; 05-19-2018 at 11:24 AM..
fauxlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,828
Thanked 4,701 Times in 3,169 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

i don't have any idea what you people are talking about! I read the diy chatroom occasionally but i don't post there. 95% of the issues they have aren't worth commenting about.
Gymschu and lilpaintchic like this.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

I felt like the grinch after my comments last night on that DIY’ers porch paint thread. Maybe not as grinchy as PAC’, but still.

It’s tough giving people accurate advice. On the one hand, we have to caution against the misinterpretation of the paint&primer idea. On the other we shouldn’t be to dogmatic in pushing primer as the solution for every problem.

I don’t know why that person did what they did, but let’s imaging someone skimming over DIY chatroom and seeing over and over that primer is absolutely needed when going over oil paint with latex. Skim a little more and you’ll see Bin recommended over and over as the best.

Joe Home owner skimming this material thinks “I should prime my porch floor with Bin” when that’s exactly the wrong thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chrisn, Gymschu, slinger58 and 1 others like this.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 460
Thanked 8,608 Times in 4,006 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

You people need to realize you have a completely different types of people over there. They come for an answer, that they mostly want to hear, and leave to never be heard from again. Bet I haven't been over there for at least 9 years. A completely different crew of Mods also. Have no idea who anyone of them are.

Everybody has different advice to give them, they'll argue back and forth, and the OP is going to end up doing what he figures is easiest for him. Primer and paint will usually do that for them. And, of course, BIN is the best primer for everything.

For people like Pac, these posters look at them as someone who only wants to sell their product, despite his knowledge.

My advice: Don't waste your time replying or giving advice. If you do go there; just consider it "for entertainment purposes only". Shake your head and get a good laugh out of it.
PPD (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
You people need to realize you have a completely different types of people over there. They come for an answer, that they mostly want to hear, and leave to never be heard from again. Bet I haven't been over there for at least 9 years. A completely different crew of Mods also. Have no idea who anyone of them are.

Everybody has different advice to give them, they'll argue back and forth, and the OP is going to end up doing what he figures is easiest for him. Primer and paint will usually do that for them. And, of course, BIN is the best primer for everything.

For people like Pac, these posters look at them as someone who only wants to sell their product, despite his knowledge.

My advice: Don't waste your time replying or giving advice. If you do go there; just consider it "for entertainment purposes only". Shake your head and get a good laugh out of it.
For the win!!
I've found it to be more frustrating than anything....eh, let em sort it then call a pro to fix it. DIY=job security.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Brushman4 likes this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
PPD (05-19-2018), Wolfgang (05-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 690
View Gwarel's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

So.....You're the Grinch?
lilpaintchic likes this.
Gwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gwarel For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (05-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
PPD
Girl Boss

Rewards Points: 68
View PPD's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
For the win!!
I've found it to be more frustrating than anything....eh, let em sort it then call a pro to fix it. DIY=job security.
hahaha job security! Love that...so true + a fix is always more expensive then getting it done right the first time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Perfectly Painted Designs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Diego, CA
PPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 120
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Kinda like the HO we all have dealt with that knows how to paint but wants a pro painter for dirt cheep... Hell it's just painting!

Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta Painting For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 644
Thanked 4,458 Times in 2,448 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
A completely different crew of Mods also. Have no idea who anyone of them are.

We know one of them.

OP.
Gymschu likes this.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #12
Renegade Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarel View Post
So.....You're the Grinch?
LOL. Not me. Like I said, got tired of even reading any of it years ago. I'm the type of person that no matter what forum I'm interested in, I take the time to read through the posts and answers. That will usually give you the atmosphere of the place. If I don't find it as a place I want to be involved with, I stay silent. Every once in a while, you'll find some gem of advice that someone pulled out of their keester.

Same with here. A lot of people join but how many are active? I've always figured the percentages have a lot to do with the general tone here. We're supposed to be professionals. We've even set up a few different sections that are off-topic for obviously off-topic comments. I know we all want to have fun, and know that threads will derail. General nature of these places. But when you consider how a new member views it, for the most part it keeps them silent. Just another forum they belong to.

Take that into consideration with how you want yourself and PaintTalk represented.

Like Don Henley said in the song "In the Garden of Allah": "I remember when thing were a lot more fun around here". They actually were and there were some derails of epic and funny proportions. But when it came down to business and advice and how-to's, you actually learned a lot. With out the snide comments.

The forum is what the members make it. The members don't own it. The mods don't own it. Cricket doesn't own it. We just try to keep things in line and civil.

Anyway, that is and always has been my take on things. As a member first and then a mod.
Gwarel (05-20-2018), lilpaintchic (05-21-2018), Wildbill7145 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #13

It's not ALL bad over there. You do get an occasional THANK-YOU. What it does show all too often is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. For example, one current topic is about using plaster products to fix plaster walls. Well, for me, the right plaster product is difficult to find so I've used Durabond for years and years and I can't recall any major callbacks. Some over there say the Durabond is bound to fail yet I've never experienced it. So, who is right? You could argue that both ways work or maybe neither way works.
chrisn and jennifertemple like this.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #14
Renegade Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
We know one of them.

OP.
Ahh. Gymschu. Word of advice: Keep anything related to DIY on the DIY Forum. There's a reason we send them over there with a canned reply here before removing their posts. The Mods here don't step on the Mods toes there and we expect the same courtesy. Thank you.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #15

Got it. Feel free to delete this thread.
PAC, my apologies. Just poking a bit of fun at you. Your skin is thick so you are quite the entertainment for some of us old-timers.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #16
Renegade Mod

No problem whatsoever here. Just wanted to put it out there.
And, I imagine it's gotta be a whole lotta fun moderating over there. Better you than me lol.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 786
Thanked 9,528 Times in 5,396 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

It's hard to take painting as seriously as other critical trades. Especially if you've been in it long enough. All the technical advice is helpful but merely subjective at the end of the day. DIY'ers and professionals alike are going to do it their own way. Particularly since there is little to no formal trade training in terms of painting. And because of that, trying to convey some sort of painting authority to a DIY'er, is an exercise in futility.

And as far as business advice, it seems to me, as an observer over the years, that aside from basic financial management and knowing ones production rates, most of the self employed members really don't need complicated business advice. Especially those without steady employees.

So basically, that leaves a lot of room for extra curricular chat.
Gymschu and jennifertemple like this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Painting View Post
Kinda like the HO we all have dealt with that knows how to paint but wants a pro painter for dirt cheep... Hell it's just painting!
Ugh. Dealt with this to many times in the flood and fire industry.
They aren't even paying out of pocket, and telling me what to do, and how to do it

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #19
Renegade Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
It's hard to take painting as seriously as other critical trades. Especially if you've been in it long enough. All the technical advice is helpful but merely subjective at the end of the day. DIY'ers and professionals alike are going to do it their own way. Particularly since there is little to no formal trade training in terms of painting. And because of that, trying to convey some sort of painting authority to a DIY'er, is an exercise in futility.

And as far as business advice, it seems to me, as an observer over the years, that aside from basic financial management and knowing ones production rates, most of the self employed members really don't need complicated business advice. Especially those without steady employees.

So basically, that leaves a lot of room for extra curricular chat.
Really??? So you know all about equipment depreciation schedules, materials percentages, hourly net profitability, proper overhead deductions, withholding for your taxes, Soc Sec, coverage and costs of insurance, and quite a few others?

By golly, you're a genius.
jennifertemple likes this.
lilpaintchic (05-21-2018), RH (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #20
Renegade Mod

I was lucky enough to have a business owner teach me all aspects of the business ownership my 3rd and 4th years of being in the business. Took a couple of years. Then keeping up with all the changes that have happened over the years. Not like running the old "T" accounts with hand-written entries.

Tags
None