Hello- I'm a new member - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree33Likes

Old 02-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

View Apaintergirl631's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hello- I'm a new member

Hello I am a new member and would like to take a moment to introduce myself and tell you a little bit about my painting background and my current business.
Please forgive any errors in my typing as I am doing talk to text.
My name is Amanda and I currently own and operate a small business on Long Island called ReLove.
I have been painting on and off for just about 20 years. It makes me feel quite old even saying that
I come from a long line of mail painters on my fathers side of the family. My grandfather, great uncle and my Dad were all NYC Union painters. And my Dad was even head of his union when I was a teenager.
In my 20s I worked for a paint contractor who did commercial work and I was the office manager. But that job is probably what led me to start painting more and more because I would take home the leftover paint and use it on projects in my own home from walls to furniture
So my current business began about three years ago when I moved into my new home and it was much bigger than my last home and I started collecting pieces of furniture from the side of the road to refurbish and transform Something I had done on and off through the years as a single girl living on my own for many years
It was after re-doing a few pieces of furniture for my own home that a friend suggested I might want to try finding pieces that I could redo and sell them
I wasn't sure how it was going to sell them but I started a Facebook page and in the past three years my business has grown unbelievably and I now primarily focus on kitchen cabinet refinishing
The kitchen cabinet finishing kind of fell into my lap when one of my long-time furniture customers asked me if I would paint her kitchen cabs for her
Once I posted that finish job on my Facebook business page the rest as you say it was history and kitchen cabinet painting has become the main focus of my business
Now what I'm going to say next is probably going to make me very unpopular on this board.
When I first started out doing kitchens I was primarily using general finishes milk paint for all of my furniture projects. I still love this paint and use it for furniture all the time but have since transitions into a Nother kind of paint for the kitchen cabinets after a lot of trial and error
I have been lurking on this site for about two weeks and I have discovered that most of you absolutely hate the Behr line of products.
But I have tried almost every brand and type of paint available to me in my state on kitchen cabinets and nothing for me works as well as the behr alkyd paint
I hope this opinion does not get me kicked off of this board for loving this specific product
I have found that with this particular alkyd base paint I have the shortest drying time The shortest cure time
And the least amount of brushstrokes when painting by hand I have used Sherwin-Williams pro classic Benjamin Moore's advanced. Cabinet call by I NSLX as well as fine paints of Europe and I have yet to find a product that performs as well as the BEHR
I primarily spray all of the cabinet doors using a Grayco airless sprayer
But when it comes to the face frames and pieces I hand roll or hand paint and have had no visible brushstrokes and as close to a spray to finish as you can get by hand using the BEHR
I am still learning how to navigate this board but I would love to show you all some pictures of my completed work
I am not sure how to post pictures and like I said I am doing talk to text right now because I am driving and only doing this when I hit a red light on my way home from Home Depot
But if you choose you can visit my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/reloveNY

I actually found myself here on the boards about two weeks ago because I was looking into starting to use a product other than the BEHR.
My current project is my own kitchen cabinets
And I came here wanting to see if there was a product that I could switch to that would be just as durable and have a fast drying time like the behr. So I tried inslx for The first time after seeing so many people here saying it was the best product to use and I tried it on a few sample doors and did not like it so as on popular as it may make me here on the board I'm going to stick with what I love The first time after seeing so many people here saying it was the best product to use and I tried it on a few sample doors and did not like it so as on popular as it may make me here on the board I'm going to stick with what I love
However I hope that you will keep me around because I thoroughly enjoy learning about new products marketing and getting to know other people in the trade.

)

Thanks for having me.
Apaintergirl631 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 960
Thanked 9,540 Times in 5,406 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome!

On another thread, I believe I was trying to refer to the insulx cabinet product you mentioned. A recent poster wanted to spray all the trim in a high end home, with an opaque white lacquer. I thought there may be a single component product that dries hard like lacquer.

What didn't you like about the insulx product. Application, hardness, hide, etc.?

Last edited by CApainter; 02-04-2017 at 04:23 PM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
Professional Painter

Rewards Points: 621
View loaded brush's Photo Album My Photos

If the Behr Alkyd has been stellar for you, why are you looking for an alternative?
slinger58 and getrex like this.
loaded brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 72
View AngieM's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to have another sis here. We're a minority here and in the industry.

I'm interested to know exactly what it is you don't like about the other products.

I found as a painter there are two important constiderations when picking a product. One, it's the ease of application and everything pertaining to handling it (cure time, touch up etc). Second, is the durability for the customer.

I got burned using low quality products because I was only taking number one into consideration. Loved the price, hide and touch up of this paint so used it with every customer. Then started getting call backs because it would burnish, or leave water spots. I only had to repaint one bathroom for free before I switched to a high quality product.

On the other hand there are high quality products that are a pain in the a55 to apply and require a learning period to master. Like Benjamin Moore Aura. You can't leave a wet edge or the roller will pick it up for example.

Most important reason I switched from the DIY line, is my reputation. I stick a magnet business card to all my left over paint cans I leave at the customer's house. I refuse to literally put my name on a can of paint from Home Depot. Customers pay good money for my work. My products must reflect that same quality.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
AngieM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngieM For This Useful Post:
Grateful_Monk (02-12-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #5

Hi! Sorry it took so long to reply. I'm the middle of working my own kitchen redo so things are hectic

So to answer some of the questions. The first reason I decided to even try other products in the first place was simply the "bad" reputation that Behr seems to have tends to have in the industry. I am always seeking out new products to try out. I feel it's imperative for my growth to know every tool available for my trade.
So when I have downtime (rare) -and I see a product on a shelf in any store and I haven't tried it but maybe have heard about it I tend to see what it's about.

I have a stellar rep with my business and I want to keep it that way. I haven't had product failure at all with the Behr Alkyd. The added bonus of less expensive cost is passed onto my clients. I can keep my costs competive to my local competition. But that wouldn't be my sole reason at all for using it.
If any of those more expensive brands worked for me the way that Behr has- I would gladly switch in a heartbeat - regardless of cost.

The Cabinet coat was my least fav product by far.
The coverage was awful and brushed and rolled on looked like crap. Sprayed on was so thin. I didn't get that factory finish at all. I didn't like anything about it

Pro classic would be my second choice to Behr for cabinets. In a comparison between that and the Behr I saw no difference in finish. At all. They both cured the same level of hardness. But the pro classic recoat time kills it for me.

And then advanced. Ugh. The sagging. No matter how good I am I can't get it to not sag. I know a lot of pros have the same issue with BM advanced.

Behr Just wins me over with overall durability and fastest dry and cure times. I've had a sample door left out in the rain for two days that had zero effect on the finish. I truly haven't had a single complaint in the three years that kitchens became my focus using the Behr. So I feel like maybe the paint line itself has come a long way.

I don't know. I know I'll get slack here for using what's considered a DIY tool for a pro job but if something ain't broke - why fix it.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #6

Oh. Here are some recents pics of jobs done with the Behr Alkyd. Figured out how to upload pics from my phone. )
Attached Thumbnails
Hello- I'm a new member-img_0694_1486486884349.jpg  

Hello- I'm a new member-img_0698_1486486927624.jpg  

Hello- I'm a new member-img_0661_1486486960558.jpg  

Hello- I'm a new member-img_9721_1486487023421.jpg  

Hello- I'm a new member-img_9181_1486487071278.jpg  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apaintergirl631 For This Useful Post:
RH (02-07-2017), thamberg (02-07-2017), Wolfgang (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 10,130
Thanked 15,342 Times in 8,033 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the group. Good introduction.

Dan

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #8

Thanks Dan! Appreciate it. Even if everyone hates me for using Dreaded Behr. Lol.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 484
Thanked 8,611 Times in 4,008 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

if you're happy with the product and the customer is happy with the product and results, I wouldn't worry about what others here may think. They aren't signing the checks or providing you with the referrals that satisfied customers are. Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apaintergirl631 View Post
Thanks Dan! Appreciate it. Even if everyone hates me for using Dreaded Behr. Lol.
Hate is a pretty strong word. I think more people here dislike Behr because of it's association with HD than as a product itself. I second what Wolf said ^^^.

Groucho Marx
Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
RH

Quote:
I don't know. I know I'll get slack here for using what's considered a DIY tool for a pro job but if something ain't broke - why fix it.

exactly
PRC likes this.

Groucho Marx
Old 02-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Hi! Sorry it took so long to reply. I'm the middle of working my own kitchen redo so things are hectic

So to answer some of the questions. The first reason I decided to even try other products in the first place was simply the "bad" reputation that Behr seems to have tends to have in the industry. I am always seeking out new products to try out. I feel it's imperative for my growth to know every tool available for my trade.
So when I have downtime (rare) -and I see a product on a shelf in any store and I haven't tried it but maybe have heard about it I tend to see what it's about.

I have a stellar rep with my business and I want to keep it that way. I haven't had product failure at all with the Behr Alkyd. The added bonus of less expensive cost is passed onto my clients. I can keep my costs competive to my local competition. But that wouldn't be my sole reason at all for using it.
If any of those more expensive brands worked for me the way that Behr has- I would gladly switch in a heartbeat - regardless of cost.

The Cabinet coat was my least fav product by far.
The coverage was awful and brushed and rolled on looked like crap. Sprayed on was so thin. I didn't get that factory finish at all. I didn't like anything about it

Pro classic would be my second choice to Behr for cabinets. In a comparison between that and the Behr I saw no difference in finish. At all. They both cured the same level of hardness. But the pro classic recoat time kills it for me.

And then advanced. Ugh. The sagging. No matter how good I am I can't get it to not sag. I know a lot of pros have the same issue with BM advanced.

Behr Just wins me over with overall durability and fastest dry and cure times. I've had a sample door left out in the rain for two days that had zero effect on the finish. I truly haven't had a single complaint in the three years that kitchens became my focus using the Behr. So I feel like maybe the paint line itself has come a long way.

You probably over brushed the Cabinet coat. That's common for new users. If you are the type that does a lot of brushing then a hybrid alkyd will work better for you. But that being said you do sound kinda like a behr intern....... JUST KIDDING!
MurphysPaint likes this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,352
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Welcome to Paint Talk!

I actually found myself here on the boards about two weeks ago because I was looking into starting to use a product other than the BEHR.
My current project is my own kitchen cabinets
And I came here wanting to see if there was a product that I could switch to that would be just as durable and have a fast drying time like the behr. So I tried inslx for The first time after seeing so many people here saying it was the best product to use and I tried it on a few sample doors and did not like it so as on popular as it may make me here on the board I'm going to stick with what I love The first time after seeing so many people here saying it was the best product to use and I tried it on a few sample doors and did not like it so as on popular as it may make me here on the board I'm going to stick with what I love
However I hope that you will keep me around because I thoroughly enjoy learning about new products marketing and getting to know other people in the trade.

)

Thanks for having me.[/QUOTE]

Hi Amanda, it's good to see another Behr enthusiast here at Paint Talk. I rarely mention that I use Behr because I heard that several of the other behr enthusiasts here have been sent to the emergency room on various occasions for their comments on Behr, but you're a girl, so maybe they will give you a pass. Your courage in mentioning that you use the dreaded (at least here in PT) B-paint has enboldened me!

The only one of the new alkyds I have ever used as of yet is Advance. I do painting for a GC who rehabs condos. He normally uses Behr Premium Plus and will get the Ultra if I hound him enough. The current client at the condo we are working at purchased all BM; Waterborne Ceiling 508 (at my suggestion), Regal Select for the walls, Aura bathroom matte for the shower area, and Advance for the trim. I told the client that I do not like to roll the 508 ceiling paint, but if she wants BM paint, this is the best for ceilings. I will reserve my comments on the RS and the Aura.

So far, I have only painted baseboards with the Advance. I rolled them with a foam roller. I tried several mini rollers and that gave the best finish (the GC hates brush marks and will not let me brush anywhere if I can avoid it - obviously I have to use a brush to cut in ceilings). When the GC checked out the baseboards he was not impressed with how the Advance rolled out. W both agreed that the Behr PPU rolls out to a smoother finish. To be fair, it is winter and dry, the condo is in a hi rise (58th floor) and the building has a great positive pressure which means that air comes rushing through all around the entrance door and out through cracks around the 2 balcony doors, so paint dries pretty fast under these conditions. Still in all, I am so far not blown away by the Advance.

I would like to try the Behr alkyd if I get a chance, but you are asking for a product to use other than Behr. Are you familiar with Muralo Ultra? I first came across it back in the late 80's at the paint store. They has a stick with 2 white paints on it, one sort of yellowing. I asked about this and they said the yellowing one was BM Satin Impervo oil and the white one was Muralo Ultra and that the stick was 6 months old. That is when I switched from Impervo to Muralo for trim paint. I loved using this paint. I used to paint kitchen and bathroom walls with a mini roller and sheets of newspaper for drops. Muralo really flowed out well and dried quickly as well. Once I painted a damaged panel on a kitchen cabinet I had repaired so it would match the rest of the cabinets. I rolled it and my partner could not tell it wasn't sprayed.

I remember an ad trick that Muralo used when it was introducing its ceramic formula. They painted 2 sides of a large sheet, one half with the leading semi-gloss latex and the other with Muralo waterborne ceramic. Then they wiped betadine solution across both paints. The betadine solution wiped off the Muralo, but was permanently embedded in the latex

I got out of painting, but got back into it in 2012. I have not had the chance to use Muralo again as yet, but I did get a recommendation for using it. I was at my local BM dealer and was asking one of the clerks who I know from prior conversations to be very knowledgable. I said I was bidding on a townhouse that had tons of polyurethaned oak woodwork and trim that the new owner wanted all painted. He told me that I should scuff the poly and apply a real good bonding primer like Stix or UMA, then topcoat with whatever. I asked him how Muralo Ultra would work as a topcoat. He very matter of factly told me that if I was going to use Muralo Ultra then I did not need any bonding primer as the Muralo sticks to anything. I mentioned the fact that his store used to carry it. He told me that when BM brought Aura out, they offered the chain of stores he worked for a certain amount of money to get rid of the Muralo if they wanted to carry the Aura. He did say that he once encountered some problems with uniformity in colors between several gallons of Muralo on one particular job, but that was about the most criticism he had about Muralo. He actually seemed to be trying to hold back his enthusiasm for Muralo since he did not sell it anymore.

I have only read good things about Muralo here at Paint Talk. There may have been some complaints, but I have yet to read them. Here is the Muralo find a dealer guide: http://muralo.com/dealer/ I found 3 dealers near you, but you should call and find out if they still carry it. Good luck and hope to hear more from you,

futtyos
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 362
View 007 Dave's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to paint talk. You should use what you feel is right. I don't think anybody is going to hate you for using Behr, Just know when you mention it you are going to get someone saying something bad about it. I have a couple of families I paint for that insist on me using behr. I haven't had any bad experiences with it myself. I also like to try anything that gets great reviews from the painters on this forum. Stick with painttalk and you'll learn even more stuff. Don't get your feelings hurt if you feel like someone is picking on you, you can't take everything serious.There is a lot of kidding around on here.. The mods usually keeps the bad negative stuff under control. the best part on here is if you are in need of advice on a painting project some one here has usually came across the same thing you are having trouble with and most of the ones that answers the questions here will do their best to help you thru it.
007 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #15
PRC

Rewards Points: 46
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

Have you tried Breakthrough?
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #16

Very true! Thank you. I think my confidence level gets knocked around when all I see is hatred for Behr.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #17

Ha ha. I guess I do kinda sound like a Behr intern. Sorry.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #18

Re- Breakthrough. No one sells it in my area. I wish I could get my hands on it to try it.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 960
Thanked 9,540 Times in 5,406 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

At the end of the day, very few laymen care what a painter is applying. They just want somebody to do the painting other than themselves. A home owner will typically concern themselves more with the color, the sheen, and if its an oil or water based paint than who the manufacturer was.

It's been my Paint Talk experience that the discussions about paint brand preferences, or disdain there of, are more often offered to and accepted by the community with the understanding that the review is a member's personal experience rather than a general indictment. However, there are some who have made it their life mission to discredit a particular manufacturer's reputation by any means necessary. And the less people jump on that band wagon, the more persistent the smear campaign becomes. And although BEHR is not MY preferred paint, I would agree with RH that they have been the central target of disdain simply because they are sold out of a big box store.

But it has also been my social media experience, that the internet medium provides a ready platform for those who possess a righteous abundance of social awareness in terms of their disdain for corporate ideology and general meanyness.

Last edited by CApainter; 02-08-2017 at 03:08 PM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
futtyos (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,139 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
At the end of the day, very few laymen care what a painter is applying. They just want somebody to do the painting other than themselves. A home owner will typically concern themselves more with the color, the sheen, and if its an oil or water based paint than who the manufacturer was.

It's been my Paint Talk experience that the discussions about paint brand preferences, or disdain there of, are more often offered to and accepted by the community with the understanding that the review is a member's personal experience rather than a general indictment. However, there are some who have made it their life mission to discredit a particular manufacturer's reputation by any means necessary. And the less people jump on that band wagon, the more persistent the smear campaign becomes. And although BEHR is not MY preferred paint, I would agree with RH that they have been the central target of disdain simply because they are sold out of a big box store.

But it has also been my social media experience, that the internet medium provides a ready platform for those who possess a righteous abundance of social awareness in terms of their disdain for corporate ideology and general meanyness.

"meanyness "? Lol. I like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (02-08-2017)

Tags
None