Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi..Newbie, Help, Please.

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Nathan 
#1 ·
Hello:)

I have been reading around the internet when I can the last 2 evenings trying to figure my plan of attack out without having to pester anybody but now I'm more confused/overwhelmed on what to do than when I started lol.. By the way I have never painted an interior home.

Here is my situation... Me, and my now EX boyfriend moved into (rent) a small (4 room) cottage type house 2.5 yrs ago... It has a Kitchen/bedroom/living room and washroom/bathroom.. The biggest room is the Kitchen and I believe it is right around 15x10' - and the other 3 averaging around 12x12' give or take.. I believe the ceiling is around 8'

My BF moved (I kicked his booty out for many of reasons) out a month ago after I finally had enough of him sitting around all day while I work 70 hrs a week at 2 jobs.. Here is my big problem and I don't know how to go about tackling this monster job the correct way....

I quit smoking in January of 2008 but my BF continued to, and still did when he was ejected... We both tried to keep the smoking in the house to a minimum because it's such a small place and tried to contain it to one room with a window open, but that's not always easy in a Wisconsin climate. When it was only my ex smoking he only did it in the kitchen so it wasn't all that bad in the other two rooms.. Well that's until he got laid off of work last May.. After being laid off he thought he could become (he failed - imagine that) the next internet texas holdem great and lived on the PC in the kitchen for the last yr+... He would easily spend 12 hrs a day playing online poker and chain smoking... Now the kitchen walls are a disaster along with the washroom being pretty bad...the other two rooms are nothing compared to the kitchen/washroom but still need work.

I'm going to clean all the walls and everthing as best as I can but I don't know that I can get it all out...that's going to be one hell of a job I'm not looking forward to, specially working 2 jobs, that hardly leaves me anytime but one off day in the evening during the week... and my only totally off day is Sunday...

Once I get the walls cleaned... do you think I will have to use a primer/sealer also, so no smoke that I might miss wont bleed through? I'm not sure what kind of walls they are... the surface is smooth like a countertop pretty much...and where he punched a hole (another thing I have to figure out and plug up, ugh) in the wall next to the computer there is only like a 1/16" of material and paint that leads to like a cardboardy material...lol....sorry I don't have a clue what I'm saying but I wanted to provide the most info I could.. I really hope I can skip the B-I-N part, (I have 2 cats that complicate things with fumes) but I also want to do this the right way, one time......

I'm just going to stop rambling now, lol... I hope I painted enough of a picture of my situation and the help I'm looking for... I feel like such an Idiot posting this here, but my head was just spining reading all the stuff online, and then I found here.. and figured I would see what help I could get straight from the, pro's.

Thank You, sooooooo much in advance to any and everybody that could help me out... It's GREATLY APPRECIATED..

~Amber

See less See more
#3 ·
But I still find myself :cursing: that winner out every time I have to look at these walls... Wish I could just hire a pro to do this but I can't afford it.. Hoping I can take a day of vacation and use the weekend to get this done in 3 days.. Just washing the walls is going to take a full day I bet... Ughh..my BP is rising again lol.

#8 ·
Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.