High gloss oils repaint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 02-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View polakthepainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default High gloss oils repaint

Hey guys, I have to repaint doors and frames at a hotel, they are now covered with thick (to thick) coat of oil gloss and the owner wants semi and bring the sheen down. What do you think would be the best way and fastest, sand prime with oil and paint or sand no prime and go straight to the semi gloss oil. Oww one more , what do you think is a reasonable price? I gave $25 per door and $20 per frame, to low?
polakthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150
View The paint whisperer's Photo Album My Photos

How much do yo have to sand?
How long will it takes for you to prime and paint one door and frame?
The paint whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 154
View Faron79's Photo Album My Photos
Default Mouse-time!

IMO...
A mouse-style sander would be good. The pointed end would get into the corner's, etc.
Use about a 120-grit paper, de-dust, prime & paint.

Is the existing paint WELL adhered!??? With older coats of Oil, these are probably getting brittle by now, and will fail. Guess who will get the blame though...YOU !
You gotta check this first. Press some good masking-tape on well. Then pull off quickly. Try this on a few frames.

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

Are you going with the same color? If so and the original paint is in good shape I would scuff sand, tack, and paint. If this is how it would be done I think your #'s are ok.
painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Mopaint

Rewards Points: 75
View Mopaint's Photo Album My Photos

Too cheap. You need 75 per opening. That's 2 sides and a full jamb is one opening. I would scuff sand and repaint with oil semi-gloss it will bond fine. Mopaint
Mopaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

A light scuff sand and dust, then an oil-based satin enamel top coat(s)

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

$25/door to sand/prime/repaint including materials - absolutely shameful. You will do better delivering pizzas.
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #8

I wouldn't do one side of a door for that money.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #9

View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainpainter View Post
$25/door to sand/prime/repaint including materials - absolutely shameful. You will do better delivering pizzas.
seems like you will be paying the customer to paint his doors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakthepainter View Post
I gave $25 per door and $20 per frame, to low?
Brother, don't know much about you. Didn't look at any of your post. I have 1 question for you..........Is there anybody home?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #11

This reminds me of the time when I was painting half this lady's house - and her boyfriend's son - just got out of jail or something, and is sort of being jack of all trades. He tells me he is going on a painting estimate - and how much should he charge? Just like that - didn't even tell me if there was one, maybe two rooms - didn't say nothing. So I said - with materials, charge $225. And he was like, cool, thanks, later.....Why does everyone who gets washed down the river ends up in the painting trades? I am sick of it.

$25/door and $20/frame?!!?!?!!?!!?! Take any other business under the sun, jewelry, sub shop, any mom&pop type shop with a store front. If people went into business with this little knowledge, they'd constantly go out of buiness in less than 30 days. I painted for others off and on for 16 years before opening up shop - during that time I asked a lot of questions and took lots of notes, that's not saying I haven't had to grow tremendously and still take notes and still learn all the time - but at least I made an effort to learn the costs of the 'trade'. $25/door? Man, go home.
Deliver pizzas, make espressos at starbucks, deliver newspapers, but get your street urchin lowballer a$$ out of my trade. I come to estimates after people like you, and homeowners think I am an a$$hole after they see my pricing - that's because they have to assume your pricing is intelligent and honest - and obviously I am out to rob them blind. later.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 500
View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

I had in my head just doing one side because I just finished a small local hotel that wanted the hallway sides done only. If you are doing both sides of the door and jam $90 would be what I would charge including paint.
painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
This reminds me of the time when I was painting half this lady's house - and her boyfriend's son - just got out of jail or something, and is sort of being jack of all trades. He tells me he is going on a painting estimate - and how much should he charge? Just like that - didn't even tell me if there was one, maybe two rooms - didn't say nothing. So I said - with materials, charge $225. And he was like, cool, thanks, later.....Why does everyone who gets washed down the river ends up in the painting trades? I am sick of it.

$25/door and $20/frame?!!?!?!!?!!?! Take any other business under the sun, jewelry, sub shop, any mom&pop type shop with a store front. If people went into business with this little knowledge, they'd constantly go out of buiness in less than 30 days. I painted for others off and on for 16 years before opening up shop - during that time I asked a lot of questions and took lots of notes, that's not saying I haven't had to grow tremendously and still take notes and still learn all the time - but at least I made an effort to learn the costs of the 'trade'. $25/door? Man, go home.
Deliver pizzas, make espressos at starbucks, deliver newspapers, but get your street urchin lowballer a$$ out of my trade. I come to estimates after people like you, and homeowners think I am an a$$hole after they see my pricing - that's because they have to assume your pricing is intelligent and honest - and obviously I am out to rob them blind. later.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
me paint pretty one day

Rewards Points: 150
View stansoph's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhag View Post
Text book defenition of "Tough Love".
Old 02-23-2008, 11:36 PM   #15

I just re-read the thread {because I am glutton for punishment} and realized this was being done in oil paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my god, now I am really sick to my stomach. I sand down and paint one coat my neighbor's front door for $50 - and feel like I am donating my time to charity, and that's using latex the neighbor provided.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 75
View DW Custom Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
My thoughts exactly
DW Custom Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #17
House Painting Reading PA

Rewards Points: 250
View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos

From what I gather you plan on staying the painting business for about, what, 1 month!!?

You have to be kidding me. Have you painted before? I am not trying to sound tough, but even if you work for someone else you have to know $25 is pimping yourself out. Now you will stay busy, do not get me wrong, but there is no way a homeowner will get me in the door for that price.

What type of doors are these anyway, style, make?
In Berks County PA 484-334-1311
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 10
View polakthepainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default thanks lol

OK ok, so I screwed up, first of all thank you, could have been little easier but hey it's painting, needed that i guess. Well if you really want to be sick to you're stomach you will be suprised to know I got beaten by someone else lol yup someone went lower. But I did manage to do one floor (18 doors and frames) It took me whole day but I got it done, oww well live and learn. Won't make that mistake again....promise.
polakthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #19
House Painting Reading PA

Rewards Points: 250
View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakthepainter View Post
OK ok, so I screwed up, first of all thank you, could have been little easier but hey it's painting, needed that i guess. Well if you really want to be sick to you're stomach you will be suprised to know I got beaten by someone else lol yup someone went lower. But I did manage to do one floor (18 doors and frames) It took me whole day but I got it done, oww well live and learn. Won't make that mistake again....promise.
And I gave you the candy coated response my Grandpa would have given.
It does not surprise me that you lost the bid. You must live near me lol.
I lost one the other day that was half my price. She was giddy to call and tell me. I looked like this when she told me I cant believe it not me ma'am stupid illegals . Then I realized she would be looking like this in one day .
In Berks County PA 484-334-1311
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None