Homeowner excuses - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 258
View onthecoast's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to onthecoast
Default Homeowner excuses

The other day I got a call to give an estimate on a exterior repaint. When I was on the phone I stated I could swing by and take a peek today and the homeowner said " Don't worry about it, As long as you can give me a price within the next few weeks! ".

The house is a vacation home so neither husband or wife would be around. I stopped by to take a look and called the homeowner later that night and left a voicemail saying " Hello_____ this is Robert calling with your complimentary estimate for the painting of your homes exterior. I would say it is going to cost $________ which would include both the cost of labor and paint/supplies. Please give me a call back at your earliest convenience and let me know what you think. Thank you "

I get a call back not 15 minutes later and the homeowner says " Well, I am going to have to talk to my wife about it. I've got your number, Thanks. "

I think the ole' talk to my wife talk is their way of saying " Yeah right, With your crappy looking signs I thought I could get the job done for free ".

It's happend to me more than once. I know now when the homeowner says this it means I don't have the job.

What things do homeowners say to you that trigger you to think you lost the job?
onthecoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 102
Thanked 8,629 Times in 4,023 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Firstly, I never give a bid/proposal price in the phone. I want either one or both of the HO's present when I'm walking around the house. That way we can talk about what needs to be done, the labor and materials involved, etc., to justify the price. Congratulations, you just made a price shopper out of them.

It has nothing to do with your signs, but maybe with your lack of salesmanship experience. I'm not trying to be harsh with you, but just pointing out something that might help you.

If, you are a professional painter who does quality work, you've got part of the package, work on your presentation to complete it.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

With all due respect and helpfulness, I agree with the Wolf.

It sounds like the HO is a tire kicker.

When they say to just swing by and take a look, explain to them that you like to meet with the HO as you look over the house to understand their needs and concerns.

With a meeting you can sell your professionalism and dedication to quality.

Another problem with a phoned in estimate, is they only have a number (that may not remain firm in their memory). With a well written proposal, they can compare what they are getting for the money with all the other prices they are collecting.

Hope that helps.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250
View deach's Photo Album My Photos

With rare exceptions I won't bid a project unless the home owner can meet me there. If they're at work then I'll meet them later to discuss the price. If they say they just can't meet with me then I won't bid it. If they can't take time to meet with me they're going to have a hard time finding time to write the check too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25
View lugi's Photo Album My Photos

Just move to your next job give price time line never ****er unless you have to. If you do people good your name will get around your phone will ring with many jobs......
lugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

doesn't sounds like a HO excuse to me. Big investments need to be a joint decision.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecoast View Post
What things do homeowners say to you that trigger you to think you lost the job?
While we are wrapping up the final details they begin to fold the estimate that I just handed them into eighths, always a bad juju type of signal.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150
View Marion's Photo Album My Photos
Default Proposals......

As previously stated, proposals are hard given without the recipient there to explain what's involved for a quality job, with quality coatings.

Otherwise, it's just a number..............
Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500
View ParagonVA's Photo Album My Photos

I hate the old, "I gotta talk to my wife/husband" routine. My former boss called it the "tag team". Sounds like your potential clients are certainly just shopping around. Maybe they are uneducated about picking the right contractor and are only doing what they know how: dollar comparison.

I agree, it's best to meet with them both and go over everything. Homeowners tend to create a gut feeling about a contractor once sitting with them and getting to know them a bit. My customers always comment on the fact that I am dedicated to the work, which I'm not necessarily pushing- it comes out on its own. That gives them confidence in the product that will outweigh the numbers...sometimes anyway.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #10

The homeowner said to get around to looking at it within the next few weeks. I said I can check it out today and he said if I am in the area to take a look. I took a look, Left a packet with my info on front door and called him with a figure. It was sorta his idea.

Atleast I provided quick service beyond his expectations LOL
Old 05-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

This thread is great, made me think of how I have done in the past and what I can do to correct it in the future. I am off to do 4 estimates right now. Wish me luck.. oh and positive vibes sent your way man Hope you get the job!

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEighter View Post
This thread is great, made me think of how I have done in the past and what I can do to correct it in the future. I am off to do 4 estimates right now. Wish me luck.. oh and positive vibes sent your way man Hope you get the job!
Lucky Bastard!

I hope I get the job too. Can't wait to quit my job. They've been pushing me and pushing me
Old 05-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 102
Thanked 8,629 Times in 4,023 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

The great thing about this forum is that if you've got an open mind you can learn a lot here. If you are starting out on your own it really helps to do it right the first time. I'm not saying you cant get lucky every once in awhile by not doing it right, but as time goes on the odds will stack against you....and you know the old adage that old habits are hard to break.

Part of having your own business is the control you can exert over certain things. When you start letting the customer control you, your getting yourself in some deep doodoo. It will happen occasionally over time anyway, but your best bet is to come across as a professional because you are.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #14
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Lucky Bastard!

I hope I get the job too. Can't wait to quit my job. They've been pushing me and pushing me
You are going to quit your job if you get 1 for next week?

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

I don't do drive by's. You would think that if the parties involved are going to be exchanging painting services for potentially a few thousand dollars, they might want to meet one another.

Last edited by Schmidt & Co.; 05-16-2009 at 11:36 PM..
Schmidt & Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
You are going to quit your job if you get 1 for next week?
No No No, I am saying I can't wait to quit my job in general.. I have a feeling I am far from being able to quit.

As for the "Drive by", Was not my plan. And technically I didn't just drive by. I got out, took a look around and determined the needs of the property.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #17
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
As for the "Drive by", Was not my plan. And technically I didn't just drive by. I got out, took a look around and determined the needs of the property.
Oh c'mon, don't we all aspire to work for College Pro.

When I hear of a true "drive by" estimate, I cringe, just as much as when I see

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 05-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Oh c'mon, don't we all aspire to work for College Pro.

When I hear of a true "drive by" estimate, I cringe, just as much as when I see

Arch, If they did paper you know you'd be the first to apply for the foreman position!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:14 AM   #19

Also, I am giving up entirely on exteriors totally. I am strictly advertising interiors. Hmmmm.... Maybe I can figure a way to do driveby estimates on interiors?
Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 AM   #20
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Arch, If they did paper you know you'd be the first to apply for the foreman position!
I think after 60 years on the planet and 37 in the business I've learned a tad more than that

HOWEVER, I did meet one of their foremen once and he was an anomaly - he actually knew what he was doing.

"a thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters given a thousand years would write something intelligible"

"Are we having fun yet"

Tags
None