Hot Water Pressure Washing. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 119
Rewards Points: 24
Thanks: 94
Thanked 65 Times in 42 Posts
View racx's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hot Water Pressure Washing.

Been thinking this for a long time now, hot water cleans better so wouldn't hot water pressure washing be better for paint prep? Obviously being cautious of the current coating.
racx is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe
 
ReNt A PaInTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TeXaS, UnItEd StAtEs
Posts: 4,508
Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanks: 1,265
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos
Default

For me soft washing with the right stuff is the way to go.
__________________
RENT A PAINTER -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReNt A PaInTeR For This Useful Post:
racx (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Moderator
 
Wildbill7145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,900
Rewards Points: 5,074
Thanks: 3,906
Thanked 4,497 Times in 2,478 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I think the pressure washer you need to accommodate this is incredibly expensive.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (09-18-2015), racx (09-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
PressurePros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,097
Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanks: 1,937
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Hot water cleaning better is really a marginal statement if you are using the right chems.
__________________
PressurePros is a Pressure Washing Company servicing Delaware and Montgomery Counties in PA

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
Damon T (09-20-2015), racx (09-18-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Troy
 
stelzerpaintinginc.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,909
Rewards Points: 2
Thanks: 2,044
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
Hot water cleaning better is really a marginal statement if you are using the right chems.
Agreed. Even less than marginal if cleaning decks.

Unless you plan on adding cleaning of concrete/flatwork the services you offer, I don't think a hot water washer is cost-effective for the typical painting contractor. For about a third of the cost, you could get something like this, which IMHO, we painters would get more mileage out of http://www.pressuretek.com/fatboybandit.html
__________________
Troy Stevens, Stelzer Painting Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by stelzerpaintinginc.; 09-18-2015 at 05:16 PM..
stelzerpaintinginc. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
racx (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 119
Rewards Points: 24
Thanks: 94
Thanked 65 Times in 42 Posts
View racx's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I appreciate all the input, I should give more info on what type of work I do, just trying to make a decision as I have to buy a trailer unit with reclaim system and hot water vs cold water isn't breaking the bank at this point the purchase period is I do mainly 90% commercial work most being efis, tilt up, or block. Still the same opinions?
racx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
RePaintFlorida.com
 
Repaint Florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,740
Rewards Points: 310
Thanks: 1,943
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,014 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racx View Post
Been thinking this for a long time now, hot water cleans better so wouldn't hot water pressure washing be better for paint prep? Obviously being cautious of the current coating.
racx i've had a hot water pressure washer for 8+ years

the good ... retail stores sidewalks ... we've made our money back in the first year cleaning bubble gum & nasty stores fronts

also we do a lot of warehouses so for cleaning the floor it's great

and being not too many painters have a hot water machine our rig stands out

but if your doing residential repaints you won't find is cost effective, at least in Florida

plus the cost of operating ... Diesel Fuel for the heater, gas for motor, hot water hoses, hot water washer for fittings, trailer, ect add to cost

for me i've tried to reinvest in my company & grow so the money was well spent but for the average painter i don't think you'll need it

also hot water can do a lot of damage if you don't use it right
__________________
Repaint Florida LLC
1460 Gemini Blvd
Suite 10
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (09-18-2015), PressurePros (09-18-2015), racx (09-18-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
PressurePros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,097
Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanks: 1,937
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I don't really have to add anything.. repaint summed it up well.

I am not a fan of using a pressure washer as paint prep. I think its purpose is to rinse off mold killing or rust removing chemicals and maybe getting rid of spider webs and insect nests. The finish itself is best left to old school scraping and sanding.

There are some commercial uses where hot water and high pressure can come in handy. Painted block or stripe removal from curbs or asphalt. In your shoes, i would look at how many jobs you have done where a HW pressure washer would have served you better. If its over 15 jobs, its probably worth the extra couple grand for a hot water unit. As an alternative, you can start with a cold water machine and add a hot box later.
__________________
PressurePros is a Pressure Washing Company servicing Delaware and Montgomery Counties in PA

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
racx (09-18-2015), Repaint Florida (09-18-2015), slinger58 (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe
 
ReNt A PaInTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TeXaS, UnItEd StAtEs
Posts: 4,508
Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanks: 1,265
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
racx i've had a hot water pressure washer for 8+ years

the good ... retail stores sidewalks ... we've made our money back in the first year cleaning bubble gum & nasty stores fronts

also we do a lot of warehouses so for cleaning the floor it's great

and being not too many painters have a hot water machine our rig stands out

but if your doing residential repaints you won't find is cost effective, at least in Florida

plus the cost of operating ... Diesel Fuel for the heater, gas for motor, hot water hoses, hot water washer for fittings, trailer, ect add to cost

for me i've tried to reinvest in my company & grow so the money was well spent but for the average painter i don't think you'll need it

also hot water can do a lot of damage if you don't use it right
I agree. I was speaking for myself. I don't think is worth the investment on residential.
__________________
RENT A PAINTER -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReNt A PaInTeR For This Useful Post:
racx (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 119
Rewards Points: 24
Thanks: 94
Thanked 65 Times in 42 Posts
View racx's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
I don't really have to add anything.. repaint summed it up well.

I am not a fan of using a pressure washer as paint prep. I think its purpose is to rinse off mold killing or rust removing chemicals and maybe getting rid of spider webs and insect nests. The finish itself is best left to old school scraping and sanding.

There are some commercial uses where hot water and high pressure can come in handy. Painted block or stripe removal from curbs or asphalt. In your shoes, i would look at how many jobs you have done where a HW pressure washer would have served you better. If its over 15 jobs, its probably worth the extra couple grand for a hot water unit. As an alternative, you can start with a cold water machine and add a hot box later.
I appreciate it Pressure Pros (and everyone else). I totally agree scraping and sanding is better prep but in retail specs and time frame pressure washing is what we have to do. I think I will go cold water the water reclaim setup is very expensive.
racx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
Troy
 
stelzerpaintinginc.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,909
Rewards Points: 2
Thanks: 2,044
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racx View Post
I appreciate all the input, I should give more info on what type of work I do, just trying to make a decision as I have to buy a trailer unit with reclaim system and hot water vs cold water isn't breaking the bank at this point the purchase period is I do mainly 90% commercial work most being efis, tilt up, or block. Still the same opinions?
Ya, unless you're getting contracts for parking lots, parking structures, etc., or commercial flatwork, I still have the same opinion. If money is no object, I'd look at a 8gpm cold water with an Udor Pump, along with that Fatboy I linked to earlier, plus a good surface cleaner. Anything bigger than 24" can be cumbersome if using on smaller areas or residential imo. All those things together = my dream setup that's still about 2-3 yrs away.
__________________
Troy Stevens, Stelzer Painting Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stelzerpaintinginc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #12
RePaintFlorida.com
 
Repaint Florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,740
Rewards Points: 310
Thanks: 1,943
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,014 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
Ya, unless you're getting contracts for parking lots, parking structures, etc., or commercial flatwork, I still have the same opinion. If money is no object, I'd look at a 8gpm cold water with an Udor Pump, along with that Fatboy I linked to earlier, plus a good surface cleaner. Anything bigger than 24" can be cumbersome if using on smaller areas or residential imo. All those things together = my dream setup that's still about 2-3 yrs away.
my dream setup is no mortgage & a houseboat


.
__________________
Repaint Florida LLC
1460 Gemini Blvd
Suite 10
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
Damon T (09-20-2015), slinger58 (09-18-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 5,720
Rewards Points: 82
Thanks: 9,837
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
I don't really have to add anything.. repaint summed it up well.

I am not a fan of using a pressure washer as paint prep. I think its purpose is to rinse off mold killing or rust removing chemicals and maybe getting rid of spider webs and insect nests. The finish itself is best left to old school scraping and sanding.

There are some commercial uses where hot water and high pressure can come in handy. Painted block or stripe removal from curbs or asphalt. In your shoes, i would look at how many jobs you have done where a HW pressure washer would have served you better. If its over 15 jobs, its probably worth the extra couple grand for a hot water unit. As an alternative, you can start with a cold water machine and add a hot box later.
Just to be clear, that's what a competent painter does with a pressure washer...use it to clean the mold and mildew with the downstreaming of proper chemicals.

As far as removing loose, peeling paint with high pressure, that's a mistake in most applications.
slinger58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
racx (09-18-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 12:13 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 563
Rewards Points: 44
Thanks: 255
Thanked 310 Times in 216 Posts
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
Just to be clear, that's what a competent painter does with a pressure washer...use it to clean the mold and mildew with the downstreaming of proper chemicals.



As far as removing loose, peeling paint with high pressure, that's a mistake in most applications.

Roger that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
radio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
PressurePros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,097
Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanks: 1,937
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
Just to be clear, that's what a competent painter does with a pressure washer...use it to clean the mold and mildew with the downstreaming of proper chemicals.

As far as removing loose, peeling paint with high pressure, that's a mistake in most applications.
We are in agreement there. Unfortunately, word hasn't trickled down from the forums to the streets (yet).
__________________
PressurePros is a Pressure Washing Company servicing Delaware and Montgomery Counties in PA

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
Damon T (09-20-2015), slinger58 (09-19-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (09-20-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 119
Rewards Points: 24
Thanks: 94
Thanked 65 Times in 42 Posts
View racx's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Pressure washing worked just fine for this project.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Water Pressure Washing.-1442708754784.jpg  

racx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:34 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
PressurePros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,097
Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanks: 1,937
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Yep, like I mentioned above, painted block is an example of when using pressure is fine. A 4000 psi machine with the right turbo nozzle will rip that coating right off.
__________________
PressurePros is a Pressure Washing Company servicing Delaware and Montgomery Counties in PA

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
racx (09-21-2015)
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil-Modified Water Borne Polys Gurnoe General Painting Discussion 19 09-09-2015 03:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com