Hot Water Pressure Washing. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 09-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24
View racx's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hot Water Pressure Washing.

Been thinking this for a long time now, hot water cleans better so wouldn't hot water pressure washing be better for paint prep? Obviously being cautious of the current coating.
racx is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

For me soft washing with the right stuff is the way to go.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReNt A PaInTeR For This Useful Post:
racx (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,074
Thanked 4,497 Times in 2,478 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I think the pressure washer you need to accommodate this is incredibly expensive.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (09-18-2015), racx (09-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Hot water cleaning better is really a marginal statement if you are using the right chems.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
Damon T (09-20-2015), racx (09-18-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Troy

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
Hot water cleaning better is really a marginal statement if you are using the right chems.
Agreed. Even less than marginal if cleaning decks.

Unless you plan on adding cleaning of concrete/flatwork the services you offer, I don't think a hot water washer is cost-effective for the typical painting contractor. For about a third of the cost, you could get something like this, which IMHO, we painters would get more mileage out of http://www.pressuretek.com/fatboybandit.html

Last edited by stelzerpaintinginc.; 09-18-2015 at 05:16 PM..
stelzerpaintinginc. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
racx (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #6

I appreciate all the input, I should give more info on what type of work I do, just trying to make a decision as I have to buy a trailer unit with reclaim system and hot water vs cold water isn't breaking the bank at this point the purchase period is I do mainly 90% commercial work most being efis, tilt up, or block. Still the same opinions?
Old 09-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
RePaintFlorida.com

Rewards Points: 310
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,014 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by racx View Post
Been thinking this for a long time now, hot water cleans better so wouldn't hot water pressure washing be better for paint prep? Obviously being cautious of the current coating.
racx i've had a hot water pressure washer for 8+ years

the good ... retail stores sidewalks ... we've made our money back in the first year cleaning bubble gum & nasty stores fronts

also we do a lot of warehouses so for cleaning the floor it's great

and being not too many painters have a hot water machine our rig stands out

but if your doing residential repaints you won't find is cost effective, at least in Florida

plus the cost of operating ... Diesel Fuel for the heater, gas for motor, hot water hoses, hot water washer for fittings, trailer, ect add to cost

for me i've tried to reinvest in my company & grow so the money was well spent but for the average painter i don't think you'll need it

also hot water can do a lot of damage if you don't use it right
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (09-18-2015), PressurePros (09-18-2015), racx (09-18-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #8

I don't really have to add anything.. repaint summed it up well.

I am not a fan of using a pressure washer as paint prep. I think its purpose is to rinse off mold killing or rust removing chemicals and maybe getting rid of spider webs and insect nests. The finish itself is best left to old school scraping and sanding.

There are some commercial uses where hot water and high pressure can come in handy. Painted block or stripe removal from curbs or asphalt. In your shoes, i would look at how many jobs you have done where a HW pressure washer would have served you better. If its over 15 jobs, its probably worth the extra couple grand for a hot water unit. As an alternative, you can start with a cold water machine and add a hot box later.

racx (09-18-2015), Repaint Florida (09-18-2015), slinger58 (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
racx i've had a hot water pressure washer for 8+ years

the good ... retail stores sidewalks ... we've made our money back in the first year cleaning bubble gum & nasty stores fronts

also we do a lot of warehouses so for cleaning the floor it's great

and being not too many painters have a hot water machine our rig stands out

but if your doing residential repaints you won't find is cost effective, at least in Florida

plus the cost of operating ... Diesel Fuel for the heater, gas for motor, hot water hoses, hot water washer for fittings, trailer, ect add to cost

for me i've tried to reinvest in my company & grow so the money was well spent but for the average painter i don't think you'll need it

also hot water can do a lot of damage if you don't use it right
I agree. I was speaking for myself. I don't think is worth the investment on residential.

|
|
|
|
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReNt A PaInTeR For This Useful Post:
racx (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:

I am not a fan of using a pressure washer as paint prep. I think its purpose is to rinse off mold killing or rust removing chemicals and maybe getting rid of spider webs and insect nests. The finish itself is best left to old school scraping and sanding.

There are some commercial uses where hot water and high pressure can come in handy. Painted block or stripe removal from curbs or asphalt. In your shoes, i would look at how many jobs you have done where a HW pressure washer would have served you better. If its over 15 jobs, its probably worth the extra couple grand for a hot water unit. As an alternative, you can start with a cold water machine and add a hot box later.
I appreciate it Pressure Pros (and everyone else). I totally agree scraping and sanding is better prep but in retail specs and time frame pressure washing is what we have to do. I think I will go cold water the water reclaim setup is very expensive.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
Troy

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by racx View Post
I appreciate all the input, I should give more info on what type of work I do, just trying to make a decision as I have to buy a trailer unit with reclaim system and hot water vs cold water isn't breaking the bank at this point the purchase period is I do mainly 90% commercial work most being efis, tilt up, or block. Still the same opinions?
Ya, unless you're getting contracts for parking lots, parking structures, etc., or commercial flatwork, I still have the same opinion. If money is no object, I'd look at a 8gpm cold water with an Udor Pump, along with that Fatboy I linked to earlier, plus a good surface cleaner. Anything bigger than 24" can be cumbersome if using on smaller areas or residential imo. All those things together = my dream setup that's still about 2-3 yrs away.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #12
RePaintFlorida.com

Rewards Points: 310
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,014 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
Ya, unless you're getting contracts for parking lots, parking structures, etc., or commercial flatwork, I still have the same opinion. If money is no object, I'd look at a 8gpm cold water with an Udor Pump, along with that Fatboy I linked to earlier, plus a good surface cleaner. Anything bigger than 24" can be cumbersome if using on smaller areas or residential imo. All those things together = my dream setup that's still about 2-3 yrs away.
my dream setup is no mortgage & a houseboat

Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
Damon T (09-20-2015), slinger58 (09-18-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Just to be clear, that's what a competent painter does with a pressure washer...use it to clean the mold and mildew with the downstreaming of proper chemicals.

As far as removing loose, peeling paint with high pressure, that's a mistake in most applications.
slinger58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
racx (09-18-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 12:13 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 44
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
Just to be clear, that's what a competent painter does with a pressure washer...use it to clean the mold and mildew with the downstreaming of proper chemicals.

As far as removing loose, peeling paint with high pressure, that's a mistake in most applications.

Roger that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
radio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post

We are in agreement there. Unfortunately, word hasn't trickled down from the forums to the streets (yet).

Damon T (09-20-2015), slinger58 (09-19-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (09-20-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #16

Pressure washing worked just fine for this project.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Water Pressure Washing.-1442708754784.jpg  

Old 09-20-2015, 12:34 AM   #17

Yep, like I mentioned above, painted block is an example of when using pressure is fine. A 4000 psi machine with the right turbo nozzle will rip that coating right off.

The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
racx (09-21-2015)

Tags
None