Hours Required? - Page 2 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 03:57 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
ridesarize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Seattle
Posts: 1,743
Rewards Points: 1,424
Thanks: 1,301
Thanked 795 Times in 516 Posts
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llincc View Post
I used to tape when I was beginning. But taping takes a long time and I believe yields worse results and has it's own set of problems (paint migrating under tape, for example). Also, there will be caulking in some areas between crown and wall / ceiling surfaces and taping over a caulked surface especially one which has just skimmed is problematic. I gave up on the tape along time ago, will only use it in certain circumstances like when painting the riser of porch step so that I completely avoid possibility of hitting brick apron with paint.
So you are going to paint that perimeter caulking wall/ceiling color then paint crown, yes? You should, also you should learn to tape at least below the crown. If you learn how it is so easy, and paint won't migrate through. Use 3m 2090 1.5" and follow with putty knife to seal the tape edge.

I also agree with others, painting in 5 rooms is not 5 times the man hours of painting one room. (When you have different steps and dry times to follow)
__________________
That lacquer undercoater doesn't affect me affect me...
ridesarize is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
View llincc's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
So you are going to paint that perimeter caulking wall/ceiling color then paint crown, yes? You should, also you should learn to tape at least below the crown. If you learn how it is so easy, and paint won't migrate through. Use 3m 2090 1.5" and follow with putty knife to seal the tape edge.

I also agree with others, painting in 5 rooms is not 5 times the man hours of painting one room. (When you have different steps and dry times to follow)
Here's my reason for not using tape. The crown will get three coats (oil primer plus 2 top coats) so the total paint thickness will not be insignificant. Using tape has the effect of creating a paint ridge due to thickness of paint which is obviously greater the more coats that are being applied. When using tape, one is apt to load brush too much instead of using a semi-dry brush as when cutting in free hand further exacerbating the sharp ridge. The border between the wall and the crown should be seen not felt.

If I were applying only one coat, I might consider tape but what's the point then as the time saved by the tape being in place is eaten up by the time required to apply the tape. I used to use tape off exterior trim but developed enough skill and technique to stop using it for reasons above.

I'm sure that there must be some threads here on the matter of whether to tape or not to tape -- I'll take a look see to see what others are saying.

Also, as I see it direct labor hours are direct labor hours and do not include set up time or are influenced by already being on site, etc. Certainly, however, pricing for a small job is not just pro rata exercise or vice versa.

Thx.

Last edited by llincc; 09-12-2014 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: typo
llincc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
ridesarize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Seattle
Posts: 1,743
Rewards Points: 1,424
Thanks: 1,301
Thanked 795 Times in 516 Posts
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llincc View Post
Here's my reason for not using tape. The crown will get three coats (oil primer plus 2 top coats) so the total paint thickness will not be insignificant. Using tape has the effect of creating a paint ridge due to thickness of paint which is obviously greater the more coats that are being applied. When using tape, one is apt to load brush too much instead of using a semi-dry brush as when cutting in free hand further exacerbating the sharp ridge. The border between the wall and the crown should be seen not felt.

If I were applying only one coat, I might consider tape but what's the point then as the time saved by the tape being in place is eaten up by the time required to apply the tape. I used to use tape off exterior trim but developed enough skill and technique to stop using it for reasons above.

I'm sure that there must be some threads here on the matter of whether to tape or not to tape -- I'll take a look see to see what others are saying.

Also, as I see it direct labor hours are direct labor hours and do not include set up time or are influenced by already being on site, etc. Certainly, however, pricing for a small job is not just pro rata exercise or vice versa.

Thx.
That's cool, I tried to give some helpful info. Just typed out some great justifications for the techniques we professional painters use, but deleted all since you wouldn't understand.
__________________
That lacquer undercoater doesn't affect me affect me...
ridesarize is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
ridesarize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Seattle
Posts: 1,743
Rewards Points: 1,424
Thanks: 1,301
Thanked 795 Times in 516 Posts
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
I found this site to be a great reference for anything construction related. I can check my numbers against average to high pricing.

http://www.homewyse.com/services/index.html

Also I have found this to be true, someone posted one time. Each task, one minute per foot. So for your 65', prep should be 2.5 hours. Painting each coat, just over one hour.
That site is hilarious, and inaccurate at best.

So direct labor rates include transportation? Seems kinda hard to figure that for such broken up tasks.

To fix one hole in drywall it says 3 hours, low $223, high $223, plus $25 material. Damn that's a good hourly wage. Yet to refinish a front door it says 4.4 hours labor is $132- $262 with 30-40 bucks in materials hmmm.
Refinish work cheaper than some tape and mudwork on a hole.
Site needs a lot of work...
__________________
That lacquer undercoater doesn't affect me affect me...
ridesarize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 403
Rewards Points: 334
Thanks: 79
Thanked 384 Times in 187 Posts
View Carl's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llincc View Post
Here's my reason for not using tape. The crown will get three coats (oil primer plus 2 top coats) so the total paint thickness will not be insignificant. Using tape has the effect of creating a paint ridge due to thickness of paint which is obviously greater the more coats that are being applied. When using tape, one is apt to load brush too much instead of using a semi-dry brush as when cutting in free hand further exacerbating the sharp ridge. The border between the wall and the crown should be seen not felt.


Thx.

Really? Who is going to feel that paint ridge in a gap between crown molding and the wall? What you say is true, but only is a factor when you are running striping in the middle of a wall or something. Okay, so throw that reason for not using tape out and what else you got? Also, what colors are the walls? Deciding whether or not to use tape greatly depends on how dark the colors are. Even seasoned pros can't make the perfectly straight line that you can achieve with tape.....you just need to learn how to tape first.

8 hours to paint 65 lineal feet of crown?

Man you guys are slow.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carl For This Useful Post:
ridesarize (09-16-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
View llincc's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Thanks again everyone.

Got the job.
llincc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 935
Rewards Points: 1,608
Thanks: 670
Thanked 635 Times in 394 Posts
View paintball head's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Did ya bid it for treefidy ?
paintball head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #28
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18,666
Rewards Points: 5,762
Thanks: 11,651
Thanked 15,417 Times in 8,089 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

And some wonder why pricing and similar threads are frowned on.
__________________
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
ridesarize (09-13-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 1,115
Rewards Points: 660
Thanks: 580
Thanked 862 Times in 417 Posts
View Stretch67's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
And some wonder why pricing and similar threads are frowned on.
Frown away. I enjoy em. Good cannon fodder; and the hasn't been jacksh!t going on in the biz section.

The taping thing tho seriously.... id throw on the stilts and have all five rooms taped off in pry 20 minutes tops. Prime it with fast dry oil. Topcoat with waterborne. Two partial days. But then again not everyone likes making 3 figures/hour.
__________________
I got a post hole digger too! What's that got to do with the weather?
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #30
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18,666
Rewards Points: 5,762
Thanks: 11,651
Thanked 15,417 Times in 8,089 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceraisanen View Post
Frown away. I enjoy em. Good cannon fodder; and the hasn't been jacksh!t going on in the biz section.

The taping thing tho seriously.... id throw on the stilts and have all five rooms taped off in pry 20 minutes tops. Prime it with fast dry oil. Topcoat with waterborne. Two partial days. But then again not everyone likes making 3 figures/hour.
Yeah, it's all pun and games until someone gets hit in the eye with a double entendre.
__________________
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No SANDING Required Pete Martin the Painter General Painting Discussion 75 03-07-2014 10:01 PM
What required of the Home Owner glennb Business, Marketing, and Sales 34 01-14-2014 11:29 AM
sub requesting money, help required. Dunbar Painting General Painting Discussion 22 01-03-2012 09:58 PM
Minimum required wall prep? bhawk66 Surface Preparation and Application 41 04-02-2011 10:15 PM
Terms and Conditions advice required. britishpainter General Painting Discussion 2 02-01-2010 10:39 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com