Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

How do we rank

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  journeymanPainter 
#1 ·
Around here it seems to be in this order of who is worth the money. How about your area. How is it IMO the trade that brings the most value and ties it all together rates at the bottom of the list in my area. Everyone loves how the work turns out but never thinks its worth the money. I feel you get the most bang for your buck with painters.

Plumbers
Electricians
Carpenters
Cabinet maker
Tilesetters
Masons
Landscapers
Roofers
Carpet layers
Painters.

#2 · (Edited)
In terms of construction sequence, I would scale the building industry in the following manner:

1. Architect/Engineer
2. Surveyor
3. Grader
4. Utility Plumber/Electrician- Utility Service
5. Carpenter-forms
6. Iron worker-rebar
7. Mason-foundation
8. Carpenter/Iron Worker-framing
9. Roofers
7. Electricians/Plumbers- building infrastructure /fire protection
8. Glazers/Carpenters- Windows and doors
9. HVAC
10. Insulators-interior and exterior
11. Carpenters-exterior envelope
12. Drywallers/tapers
13. Tub, Tile and floor installers
14. Cabinet and countertop installers
15. Finish Electricians, carpenters, and plumbers- sinks, lights, fixtures, etc.
16. Painters
17. Carpet/wood floor installers
18. Audio, Visual, Communications, and security installers
19. Painter
20. Landscaper

We had a discussion sometime back about the value of the painting product, in terms of its importance in the building industry compared to the other trades mentioned above, and in regards to its contribution to the function and longevity of a structure. Especially, considering that many building materials no longer require a field applied protective coating.

At the end of the day, it was my conclusion that the painting product provides most of its value in terms of aesthetics, rather than utility. After all, a structure doesn't become a business, or a home, until after it has been painted.

So in terms of compensation, it would make sense that the more critical positions in the construction sequence, should merit a higher reward than those that follow.

And until design sensibilities can prove to merit the same importance as running water, flushing toilets, lights, shelter, and warmth, painting will continue to be relegated to the level of "pretty", and therefore, will continue to be rewarded at that level.

#3 ·
In terms of construction sequence, I would scale the building industry in the following manner:

1. Architect/Engineer
2. Surveyor
3. Grader
4. Utility Plumber/Electrician- Utility Service
5. Carpenter-forms
6. Iron worker-rebar
7. Mason-foundation
8. Carpenter/Iron Worker-framing
9. Roofers
7. Electricians/Plumbers- building infrastructure /fire protection
8. Glazers/Carpenters- Windows and doors
9. HVAC
10. Insulators-interior and exterior
11. Carpenters-exterior envelope
12. Drywallers/tapers
13. Tub, Tile and floor installers
14. Cabinet and countertop installers
15. Finish Electricians, carpenters, and plumbers- sinks, lights, fixtures, etc.
16. Painters
17. Carpet/wood floor installers
18. Audio, Visual, Communications, and security installers
19. Painter
20. Landscaper

We had a discussion sometime back about the value of the painting product, in terms of its importance in the building industry compared to the other trades mentioned above and their contributions to the function and longevity of a structure, considering that many building materials no longer require a field applied protective coating.

At the end of the day, it was my conclusion that the painting product provides most of its value in terms of aesthetics, rather than utility. After all, a structure doesn't become a business, or a home, until after it has been painted.
Agreed you are far more indepth on this. Just a shame our trade is so undervalued. Someone puts in a $700 faucet and we paint 2 bedrooms. Funny how people place values on things. Wonder what people would do if their home stayed raw drywall and lumber. Wonder if that would change outlooks.

#6 ·
I am by no means low end. I totally forgot drywallers we do rate above that trade. Other trades do require training i wil agree. Painting does require skill and knowledge of product and applications. I just feel everyone thinks they can paint so it really dumbs down our trade when the fact is it takes talent and knowledge to do what we do. You can youtube how to install a toilet only knowledge required youtube how to paint and you still require talent for a good job.

#10 · (Edited)
If the building industry, along with the property owners and developers who invest billions in the industry, were to appreciate the painting component of the construction process as they do the auto industry when they go to purchase that new Mercedes with a beautiful black finish, maybe it would elevate their respect for what we do.

Imagine that same Mercedes without a beautiful paint job. It would just be another rust bucket like what PACman drives.

#18 · (Edited)
There's hardly any leverage in painting, which consequently, leaves only charm to fill the gap.

This is why I believe people like their painters to have a little personality. Because, as soon as a painter tries to get all sophisticated and present themselves as straight up business like and tech saavy, they lose their audience. After all, we're just making "thangs look purdy" and not actually making things work.

It used to be called "playing dumb". But since so many people are insecure today, God forbid you demonstrate a little humility in the face of ignorance.

#19 ·
There's hardly any leverage in painting, which consequently, leaves only charm to fill the gap.

This is why I believe people like their painters to have a little personality. Because, as soon as a painter tries to get all sophisticated and present themselves as straight up business like and tech saavy, they lose their audience.
Guess that's why I'm so darned successful - that and my self effacing modest nature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.