How Do You Find Good Workers? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 3,003
Thanked 2,583 Times in 1,082 Posts
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Default How Do You Find Good Workers?

How Do You Find Good Workers?-employee-lge.jpg

Quote:
"Finding good employees is hard in any industry, but it seems even harder for those businesses that are linked to construction. For painters, it can be hard to find laborers and experienced painters who can provide professional-quality work and follow directions well." Looking for Better Employees?
What methods do you use to find good workers?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 764
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos

I haven't had to find employees for a job in a long time, but I did read some great advice a while back. This only applies if you're willing to train a newbie.

When you're out doing non-work stuff, keep an eye out. At the grocery store, gas station, box store, Walmart, whatever. If you pay attention, you will notice that sometimes there's a person working a crappy job that still always has a smile on their face, knows what they're talking about, and does their job well. These people are out there, and they exist, if you watch for them. When you notice someone doing a great job at a crappy workplace, offer them a job. Explain why you're better to work for than whoever they're working for now (assuming you; if you're not, be better!). You'd be surprised how many great employees you can find that way.

I'd take someone I knew was going to be positive and intelligent who had no idea what they were doing over someone who has some experience but has a crappy attitude any day of the week. Yes, training new employees is expensive and time consuming, but if you pick the right employees to train it will pay off in the end.

When you post a job listing or something like that, you get people who are looking for money. They want a job. They're trying to impress you, and they're gonna say whatever they can to get you to give them the job. But if someone impresses you in their normal workplace, you know that person is being honest- they aren't trying to impress you. They're just good at what you do. Get honest people.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrakeB For This Useful Post:
Gough (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 52
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
I haven't had to find employees for a job in a long time, but I did read some great advice a while back. This only applies if you're willing to train a newbie.

When you're out doing non-work stuff, keep an eye out. At the grocery store, gas station, box store, Walmart, whatever. If you pay attention, you will notice that sometimes there's a person working a crappy job that still always has a smile on their face, knows what they're talking about, and does their job well. These people are out there, and they exist, if you watch for them. When you notice someone doing a great job at a crappy workplace, offer them a job. Explain why you're better to work for than whoever they're working for now (assuming you; if you're not, be better!). You'd be surprised how many great employees you can find that way.

I'd take someone I knew was going to be positive and intelligent who had no idea what they were doing over someone who has some experience but has a crappy attitude any day of the week. Yes, training new employees is expensive and time consuming, but if you pick the right employees to train it will pay off in the end.

When you post a job listing or something like that, you get people who are looking for money. They want a job. They're trying to impress you, and they're gonna say whatever they can to get you to give them the job. But if someone impresses you in their normal workplace, you know that person is being honest- they aren't trying to impress you. They're just good at what you do. Get honest people.
The last person that told me that was Larry Menard himself. You would think it would be a great idea, and I have done it myself with good results, but I really don't think it has worked out very well for Menard's for some reason.

But you are right. It's good to find someone that is willing to learn and easy to train with a good attitude. watching how people do the jobs they already have is a great way to find out who they are. Especially in a customer service industry. How they treat you is a good indicator of how they would treat your customers.

As soon as you advertise an open position you have a lot of weeding out to do. Like you said they have a tendency to just say what the interviewer wants to hear, but you can't discount that approach entirely. There are some gems out there, it just takes some doing to figure out who they are. I once ran a very specific add for someone with automotive metallic paint mixing experience. Had over 3000 people give us applications, only two of which had any qualifications pertaining to the job whatsoever. The only person that had the experience, we hired. All of the others wasted my time.

Trying to pick out good painting employees? That's tough. Almost everyone can say they have some painting experience. You almost have to try them out for a while to see if they are what you are looking for. I would make sure I had a 90 day probationary period if I were hiring painters, that way they can be let go if they don't work out and you are off the hook for unemployment. It's legal in Ohio but I don't know if it iseverywhere else.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-31-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 764
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
The last person that told me that was Larry Menard himself. You would think it would be a great idea, and I have done it myself with good results, but I really don't think it has worked out very well for Menard's for some reason.
Mainly just because they got big. They do their hiring (at least at the store level) like everyone else now. Just wait for people to bring apps. When I first moved up to the USSR (okay, it's just Iowa, but it's cold to me!) I thought about working for them. They wouldn't even let me talk to a manager. Just told me to leave the app and they'd call me. I tossed the app in the trash and got a job elsewhere. I still ended up at a (small) box store for a bit, but when I asked to talk to the hiring manager they called him and he immediately came down to talk to me. We had a quick chat (which was all I wanted), shook hands, and he made a mark on my application. He called me back the next day. In my experience, how you hire says a lot about how you do compose your business.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrakeB For This Useful Post:
Gough (12-31-2015), PACman (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 52
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
Mainly just because they got big. They do their hiring (at least at the store level) like everyone else now. Just wait for people to bring apps. When I first moved up to the USSR (okay, it's just Iowa, but it's cold to me!) I thought about working for them. They wouldn't even let me talk to a manager. Just told me to leave the app and they'd call me. I tossed the app in the trash and got a job elsewhere. I still ended up at a (small) box store for a bit, but when I asked to talk to the hiring manager they called him and he immediately came down to talk to me. We had a quick chat (which was all I wanted), shook hands, and he made a mark on my application. He called me back the next day. In my experience, how you hire says a lot about how you do compose your business.
The Menard's I worked at for a while literally hired everyone that applied that passed the drug test. This was when they first opened. They were supposed to have I think 84 people on the payroll when they opened and they could only find 68 people that could pass the piss test. That is from over 7000 people that applied during their open application week. Just over 1500 people got called in for interviews, around 900 got to the testing stage and of them less then half showed up to take the test. Only 68 passed it. And that was based on what they had taken or smoked in the previous 72 hours prior to taking the test! They have been trying to hire 20-25 people consistently since they opened in January 2009!

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None