How much of you love California Paints? Merrimack Valley Massachusetts area - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Paintlikenotomm's Photo Album My Photos
Default anonymous

Love the line

Last edited by Paintlikenotomm; 06-20-2013 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: love the line
Paintlikenotomm is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

I rather use the local brands that understand the NE environment.

The trust I feel in California comes from them being a pioneer in the field of acrylic emulsions since the early 50's. BM was a johnny come lately. Granted I have not compared them since the new genex formulations.

As with any brand, Calif have had their lower performing coatings, but in general, I have been fonder of them than BM.

Also, there is always the concept of supporting the local economy, and when the product is good, it's a win-win.

the down side of California is there are less dealers than BM, but I see them conveniently located around here.

BTW, where in the Merrimack Valley are you? I was just up in N.Andover the other week (reunion, not work)

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 60
View Stonehampaintdept's Photo Album My Photos

I love it. But I'm biased as this is my main paint line I sell. They are a great local company. Born in Cambridge but now based in Andover. I've met most of the technical and sales staff and they are great to deal with. Visited the plant about 3 times and they're always trying to come up with something new or seeing how they can improve the old products. Bill is right, all manufacturers have lower performance coatings which are more common in major cities (NY especially). Places like Manhattan use more lower end paints than we use around here. BM's alliance program caused alot of their stores to drop any other coatings brand.

Last edited by Stonehampaintdept; 06-20-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Stonehampaintdept is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehampaintdept For This Useful Post:
daArch (06-20-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,004 Times in 641 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Cali is my go to for most stuff, especially exterior (Stormstain, enduradeck, 2010) but their interior trim stuff like Ultraplate and Nextech are awesome. I like Nextech more than Advance.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kdpaint For This Useful Post:
more_prep (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #5

How much of you love California Paints? Merrimack Valley Massachusetts area-forumrunner_20130621_171634.jpg

Here's some competitive product testing that was going on last visit.
Attached Thumbnails
How much of you love California Paints? Merrimack Valley Massachusetts area-forumrunner_20130621_171451.jpg  

How much of you love California Paints? Merrimack Valley Massachusetts area-forumrunner_20130621_171550.jpg  

Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 156
View more_prep's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpaint View Post
Cali is my go to for most stuff, especially exterior (Stormstain, enduradeck, 2010) but their interior trim stuff like Ultraplate and Nextech are awesome. I like Nextech more than Advance.
Can you give me a quick run-down on how Nextech differs from Advance?
By the way, I like Ultraplate also, as I've remarked before. I have a sample
that is 9 months old and has hardened over that time to the point where
it's actually acceptable as a stand-in for alkyd satin impervo...
more_prep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by more_prep View Post
Thats the target response they were going for. Hardness, leveling, non-yellowing.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by more_prep View Post
I have not compared each product's TDS, but I found that Nextech hardens faster, better blocking, and I can recoat faster by a few hours. Advance has a very good finish, but Nextech is as good, and I hate waiting for Advance on residential repaints. It requires me to change how I do things too much and I don't want to!
more_prep (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #9

I'm trying both now on a room with 6 casings and 8" base. Forget about BM getting their colors right in Advance...

I'm finding wet sanding to be a major timesaver. Instead of having it goop up the sandpaper immediately, I used a yellow (very fine) Norton sponge, and water with dish soap in it. Works great. Very agressive, but leaves a mirror smooth finish. Still a bit worried about the effect of the detergent on the Advance, but seems ok so far.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

You are doing a side by side with Advance and Nextech, or with Ultraplate? Either way, let me know what you come up with.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #11

Right now comparing Nextech and Advance semi-gloss.

Preliminary results so far are that the Advance sprays better through AAA. I'm seeing some microbubbles with Nextech that I didn't see with Advance. With a Binks AA-1500 0909F (0.009", 9" fan) at 1200psi, the dreaded microbubbles appear and get frozen in during flash-off. Ironically, with a Kremlin MVX using a CAT 0207FF (0.007" 4" fan) at 1200 psi, no microbubbles. Both are fine finish tips.

I think Advance might have more open time, but certainly Nextech behaves very similarly. They look very similar after drying, which is awesome. Overall, I think the Advance might level a little better and dry a bit smoother, but I'm not ready to say that for sure yet. I had about the same trouble with curtaining on both -- there is a learning curve. The semi-gloss versions of these really brush out nicely. Alkyds have a way of hiding defects and making them look good, and providing a depth of shine that acrylics don't seem to have.

Looks like you really need to seal bare wood well before applying these. On pine, the grain pops out through the surfacer anywhere the BIN was sanded nearly through. I used two coats BIN, followed by a coat of WB lacquer surfacer (Becker Akvasurf).

Last edited by more_prep; 06-26-2013 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: both tips had pre-atomizing orifices, actually
The Following User Says Thank You to more_prep For This Useful Post:
kdpaint (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

I have to drive 30+ minutes to get Cali but have always loved the 2010 line, the Storm Stain I think blows away BM. We are using Cali on a home we are repainting right now and the next 4 houses will be Cali. I really hate the fact BM gave the local paint stores a choice us or them. I wish BM would take their heads out of their a$$es and stop thinking that they are the best and no dealer that sells their product should only sell BM.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #13

This BM alliance program strikes me as an as anticompetitive practice...they offer incentives to remove other brands from a store's shelves. I guess this is well-known in the business world as buying shelf space. I think it just drives the stake in when a line isn't selling that well, not due to quality, but more name recognition, say. One reason you have to drive to find Muralo..I find this practice offensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to more_prep For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting
I have to drive 30+ minutes to get Cali but have always loved the 2010 line, the Storm Stain I think blows away BM. We are using Cali on a home we are repainting right now and the next 4 houses will be Cali. I really hate the fact BM gave the local paint stores a choice us or them. I wish BM would take their heads out of their a$$es and stop thinking that they are the best and no dealer that sells their product should only sell BM.
Lots of fans here of the 2010 line and the storm stain. There oil primer is a big hit here as well. Our local dealer is Wilmots paint in Middleboro Ma and yes he also sells BM. Lets not forget there ceiling paint nothing like it.. I have also visited there plant and used to pickup my Augaflec at there Needman warehouse was a much better product than multispec.
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #15

Yeah, Cali's Diamond ceiling paint is one of the best I've ever used. I'm lucky and there is a Cali dealer right in my town!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by more_prep
This BM alliance program strikes me as an as anticompetitive practice...they offer incentives to remove other brands from a store's shelves. I guess this is well-known in the business world as buying shelf space. I think it just drives the stake in when a line isn't selling that well, not due to quality, but more name recognition, say. One reason you have to drive to find Muralo..I find this practice offensive.
Muralo oh days gone by, what a great paint. We had two local dealers when I was growing up in the business so we used allot of there products. Sadly no more dealers close by..
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpainting/nick View Post
Lots of fans here of the 2010 line and the storm stain. There oil primer is a big hit here as well. Our local dealer is Wilmots paint in Middleboro Ma and yes he also sells BM. Lets not forget there ceiling paint nothing like it.. I have also visited there plant and used to pickup my Augaflec at there Needman warehouse was a much better product than multispec.

not to pick nits, but did they move the warehosue since the 90's ? Or did you mean Norwood ? (Almost on Canton line).

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None