How should I tackle this deck? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By goga

Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 800
View 804 Paint's Photo Album My Photos
Default How should I tackle this deck?

HO has a deck well-deservedly nicknamed "Battlestar Galactica." It's a monstrosity. They are not sure how they want to coat it, so I'm going to give them a few options. Bottom line is that they don't like the color, so if we go with transparent or semi-transparent, it's gotta be completely stripped. They are also considering solid, so I'm not exactly sure what my prep should be.

First off, the current coating is SW Deckscapes Oil, semitransparent. But here's the kicker...I asked the HO repeatedly if the same stuff was used on the floorboards as was the railings, and she insisted it was. I asked because the grain could easily be seen on the railings and pickets, but NO GRAIN could be seen on the floorboards. She said it was because they put three very heavy coats on. Great.

HO says last time the deck was coated was fall 2014, but the date on the can is 11/28/15, so... I only noticed one area on the floorboards peeling when I was at the estimate, but that could be just the start.

One of the main questions I have about stripping from the standpoint of getting rid of a previous oil coating is, if you can still see color while stripping, are the oil residues still there? In other words, even if you are going to use a solid latex stain, does the deck still need to be stripped 100% down to bare wood with no previous coating visible?

If they go solid, I've thought about skipping the floorboard stripping and just sanding any peeling areas and applying Mad Dog Deck Fix. I think applying Deck Fix to the pickets would be overkill though, so they would have to be completely stripped before acrylic solid stain.

And if they go semi-transparent? As I said, I know I will have to completely strip and brighten. Just not sure what products to use...no-one seems to think there are any good deck products anymore. Though, the concoction here seems very interesting:

https://www.painttalk.com/f2/recipes-concoctions-69049/
Quote:
Originally Posted by J R Painting View Post

2 gal. oil semi transparent
2 gal. Timberflex gloss by Messmer's
1 gal. Penetrol

PAC - I know you are watching...I am definitely considering a trip to Charlottesville to get Storm products. I think Arborcoat solid is junk.

Last edited by 804 Paint; 02-17-2017 at 11:18 AM..
804 Paint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 764
View goga's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 804 Paint View Post
HO has a deck well-deservedly nicknamed "Battlestar Galactica." It's a monstrosity. They are not sure how they want to coat it, so I'm going to give them a few options. Bottom line is that they don't like the color, so if we go with transparent or semi-transparent, it's gotta be completely stripped. They are also considering solid, so I'm not exactly sure what my prep should be.

First off, the current coating is SW Deckscapes Oil, semitransparent. But here's the kicker...I asked the HO repeatedly if the same stuff was used on the floorboards as was the railings, and she insisted it was. I asked because the grain could easily be seen on the railings and pickets, but NO GRAIN could be seen on the floorboards. She said it was because they put three very heavy coats on. Great.
I can see you are super good in seeing things, let me tell you on thing that will make you a bit better painter... there is no such thing, as your opinion and.. or suggestion to the matter previously done. Suggest how it can be fixed, follow.
cdpainting likes this.
goga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None