How would you bid this 2 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
speed comes with quality

Rewards Points: 150
View nextlevelpaintco.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default How would you bid this 2

Those "how would you bid this" post seem to get alot of responses. let me try one!

300,000 sqaure foot floor area (no pad)
20 bays, 40 ft cielings, frame lines, bar joices, angle bracing, x rods, 100 columns, 6 rows walls girders through out, all to paint at 90%

7,000 gallons dry fall

10,000 square foot interior drywall 1 coat primer 2 coats specialty egshell ceramic latex. (open walls 8 corners 10 door casings)

exterior to paint: 3 colors with divider line at each transition. 200 gallons elastmeric. last 6 feet is non painted block.

2 40 ft deisel powered booms, 3 big platform scissors foe first 2 weeks. final week (after pad is poured) will need 3 elecrtic scissors, and 2 electric articulating booms to over freezers and drop cielings in corners.

2 vehicles, 1 dually hauling loaded 30 ft trailor. 1 loaded 2500 chevy van. traveling 1000 miles (2 trips 2nd trip will be by plane with rented equpment) 5 guys, 3 motel rooms. 50 a day cash perdium per man, plane tickets, etc.

the details are endless

how would you bid this?
nextlevelpaintco. is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Not sure how you can compete with a local guy. 1000 miles travel x2 going to add a bunch to the cost.

Sounds like you got the details you need. Bid it and good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
speed comes with quality

oh yeah, i forgot to add. if you fall behind the sprinkler pipe guys you can kiss your profit good bye. so stay ahead, keep your guys away from the bars, and don't misread the plans. in others words... don't f#ck up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
speed comes with quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Paint View Post
Not sure how you can compete with a local guy. 1000 miles travel x2 going to add a bunch to the cost.

Sounds like you got the details you need. Bid it and good luck.
a local company, doing one for the first time? no way a construction company would take such a risk. The painters are traveling, period.

I've seen alot of people on here with small start up companies ask for simple advice on bidding small jobs, only to be reemed by all the "legit companies" I just wanted to see who would jump on this.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Almost Gone

Depends on the setup and companies involved I suppose.

I've done work for traveling Construction companies doing renos. They would contract locally.

I can see both scenarios working out depending on what's going on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Good to see you posting again. NLP.

Last edited by Workaholic; 06-03-2012 at 05:06 PM..
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
speed comes with quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Good to see you posting again. NLP.
lol.. it's sunday, I just felt like drinking beer and surfing paint talk!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextlevelpaintco. View Post
lol.. it's sunday, I just felt like drinking beer and surfing paint talk!
127 posts in five years still shows it is rare.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

Commercial work is all based on square footage, linear footage and per unit. There's a going rate in an area and that's how it gets bid. Five commercial estimators would do takeoffs of that job, submit bids, and believe it or not on the job described I would expect every estimate to be within a thousand dollars of each other. Three of them would be within two hundred dollars.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #10

Oh yeh by the way it's the sprinkler fitter who'd better be done when I get a go. And the electrician too. But they won't be and I'll have guys chasing their pipes and conduits on T n M till the morning the place opens. All part of the "game" dude.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
speed comes with quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
Oh yeh by the way it's the sprinkler fitter who'd better be done when I get a go. And the electrician too. But they won't be and I'll have guys chasing their pipes and conduits on T n M till the morning the place opens. All part of the "game" dude.
sprinkler pipe doesn't paint, must be cleaned if it's hit. and don't over spray any of the 100 lights and whips per bay, or you might be taking them home.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #12

never once seen sprinkler pipe not get painted in.
100 lights covered with 100 trash bags in 100 minutes.
What is a whip?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 388
View Scannell Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I could see some trouble with no pad & digging going on.
Looks to be a fun project what is it?

Scannell Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
speed comes with quality

Quote:
never once seen sprinkler pipe not get painted in.
100 lights covered with 100 trash bags in 100 minutes.
What is a whip?
yes, sprinkler pipe stays black, all connections are red. you're not covering 100 lights in 100 minutes even if you disconnect the safety slow down switch on your lift, it's just flat out not going to happen that fast. plus you got 19 more bays to go after that, and then you have to take them back off. trust me, it takes more than you may think. not saying it could'nt be done in a reasonable ammount of time. just easier to stay ahead and not have to worry with it. whips are the flexible conduit that goes from the box to the light.

calm down, just by your first response I know you know what your doing.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 582
View CliffK's Photo Album My Photos

I used to do some work in my area for a national company that would buy up the remainder of commercial contracts where the original contractor went broke somewhere along in the project or just decided he was in way too light and just disappeared. Most of the time it was out of town guys that underbid locals. We did some schools and other commercial facilities in the area.. So in answer to your question NextLevel...I would bid it very carefully!! I know there is little room for error on those types of projects. I hope all the stars are all aligned... From your description of the scope of work it sounds like you have a handle on it. Best of luck
CliffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #16

Location: Way out west where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.
Rewards Points: 25
View snkd's Photo Album My Photos

Since this post sound a little sarcastic but all to real. If you have to come here to ask how to bid it. DON'T. I usually skip all the How to bid? posts they don't apply and always looking to either A- justify a number that looks unreal to them and there experience. or B- Have not got a clue. Nextlevel you do sound as if you are legit and have done this work before. These bids are what they are, and hope for the best.
snkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #17

View PaintingContractorNJ's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Those "how would you bid this" post seem to get alot of responses. let me try one!

300,000 sqaure foot floor area (no pad)
20 bays, 40 ft cielings, frame lines, bar joices, angle bracing, x rods, 100 columns, 6 rows walls girders through out, all to paint at 90%

7,000 gallons dry fall

10,000 square foot interior drywall 1 coat primer 2 coats specialty egshell ceramic latex. (open walls 8 corners 10 door casings)

exterior to paint: 3 colors with divider line at each transition. 200 gallons elastmeric. last 6 feet is non painted block.

2 40 ft deisel powered booms, 3 big platform scissors foe first 2 weeks. final week (after pad is poured) will need 3 elecrtic scissors, and 2 electric articulating booms to over freezers and drop cielings in corners.

2 vehicles, 1 dually hauling loaded 30 ft trailor. 1 loaded 2500 chevy van. traveling 1000 miles (2 trips 2nd trip will be by plane with rented equpment) 5 guys, 3 motel rooms. 50 a day cash perdium per man, plane tickets, etc.

the details are endless

how would you bid this?
5 Million
PaintingContractorNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaintingContractorNJ For This Useful Post:
hotwing7 (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #18

Location: Way out west where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.
Rewards Points: 25
View snkd's Photo Album My Photos

Don't forget the two new guys that didn't realize you were traveling to work and make money, and they were not going home every couple days to mom. They quit and greyhound it back home. Forcing the guys on-site to hire new ones and work double time.
snkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #19

Quote:
yes, sprinkler pipe stays black, all connections are red. you're not covering 100 lights in 100 minutes even if you disconnect the safety slow down switch on your lift, it's just flat out not going to happen that fast. plus you got 19 more bays to go after that, and then you have to take them back off. trust me, it takes more than you may think. not saying it could'nt be done in a reasonable ammount of time. just easier to stay ahead and not have to worry with it. whips are the flexible conduit that goes from the box to the light.

calm down, just by your first response I know you know what your doing.
This is perfect. I got this 29 year old apprentice girl on the crew. I've taken a keen interest in seeing her make the transition from go-go dancing to the respectable occupation of commercial painting. She's gonna cover and uncover the lights with trash bags. I'll give her tin foil sheets for the whips(now that I know what they are. If she gets caught up on that she can tickle in the nuckles on the pipes with a Fitch. Everytime I think I'm gonna run outa work for that girl something pops up, man. Looks like me and her will be the last ones on the job again. just keeps workin out that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
PaintingContractorNJ (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #20
Almost Gone

Quote:
This is perfect. I got this 29 year old apprentice girl on the crew. I've taken a keen interest in seeing her make the transition from go-go dancing to the respectable occupation of commercial painting. She's gonna cover and uncover the lights with trash bags. I'll give her tin foil sheets for the whips(now that I know what they are. If she gets caught up on that she can tickle in the nuckles on the pipes with a Fitch. Everytime I think I'm gonna run outa work for that girl something pops up, man. Looks like me and her will be the last ones on the job again. just keeps workin out that way.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to TJ Paint For This Useful Post:
HQP2005 (06-03-2012)

Tags
None