I don't care what ya'll think - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258
View onthecoast's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to onthecoast
Default I don't care what ya'll think

... Valspar is a decent paint.

Discuss
onthecoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
The Lurker

Rewards Points: 2,000
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecoast View Post
... Valspar is a decent paint.

Discuss

maybe it is , but if your standing in line at the paint counter at the big box store and have your paint made time and time again by someone who doesn't know or care about paint then it is not good paint...

Service is key...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000
View TooledUp's Photo Album My Photos

I haven't used Valspar for about 25 years or more. Back then it used to be one of the best here in the UK. I haven't heard much said about it for a long while so can't comment on it's quality now. I've got a feeling that there's different formulas used in different countries by the brands. I've seen Glidden mentioned here a lot as a low end paint but the quality here is actually okay - Probably in the mid range.
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
chief bucket carrier

Rewards Points: 250
View EricTheHandyman's Photo Album My Photos

I used to sell and use a ton of Valspar paint. The stuff that I had was great, but like every paint maker, they also make some garbage. The key is buying from a store that you can trust to give you the good stuff (i.e., not Lowes)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EricTheHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #5

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooledUp View Post
I haven't used Valspar for about 25 years or more. Back then it used to be one of the best here in the UK. I haven't heard much said about it for a long while so can't comment on it's quality now. I've got a feeling that there's different formulas used in different countries by the brands. I've seen Glidden mentioned here a lot as a low end paint but the quality here is actually okay - Probably in the mid range.

glidden is owned by ICI which IS the largest paint company in the world. All H.D.'s glidden paint is actually ICI paint. And I think it is a very good product.. not all their stuff is top shelf, but they have their levels.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

I absolutely agree...as long as you buy the higher end of most paints you will be fine.

It's the service & knowledge(lack of) that I can't deal with. Sometimes if a customer has chosen a color from HD or Lowes & I only need a couple of gallons We will pick it up there.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEighter View Post
glidden is owned by ICI which IS the largest paint company in the world. All H.D.'s glidden paint is actually ICI paint. And I think it is a very good product.. not all their stuff is top shelf, but they have their levels.

ICI is now owned by Azko Nobel a dutch co that makes Sikkens and ton of other things..

Glidden was good in the 70's when they were there own company ICI turned them into there cheap line.

Also when ICI was on its own it was the largest chemical company in the world not paint manufacturer.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK-Deco View Post
maybe it is , but if your standing in line at the paint counter at the big box store and have your paint made time and time again by someone who doesn't know or care about paint then it is not good paint...

Service is key...
My local Do It Best Center carries the gold label valspar. I dont know the name of the line. But, i used that stuff because a ho bought it. I had no prob with it. If it wasnt for my great relationship with my reps, id give em a whril.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

"I don't care what ya'll think"

Then why post about it?

I prefer to use materials associated with professional painters. In addition to the many quality comparisons I prefer to use my manufactures of choice. Quality is really irrellevent in a way because it would be the perception of a DYI contractor. IMHO
Old 05-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 148
Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,796 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I used eggshell Valspar from a Do-it-Best store once, and it was pretty good stuff. It was the top of the line product from there. The customer was the owner of the hardware store and a friend of the family, so I let them provide there own paint. Another time, a customer had bought the Valspar from Lowe's and that time, all 5 gallons were supposed to be one color, but none of the gallons matched at all. 3 of them were not even close to any of the other gallons. They were all tinted by computer at the same time as well, except for 1 of the 5 gallons. I think it has a consistancy that works well and is forgiving for DIYers but does not lay off quite as nice has higher end products in the hands for skilled painter.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 258
View onthecoast's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to onthecoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyg View Post
"I don't care what ya'll think"

Then why post about it?

I prefer to use materials associated with professional painters. In addition to the many quality comparisons I prefer to use my manufactures of choice. Quality is really irrellevent in a way because it would be the perception of a DYI contractor. IMHO
I use this title for the sake of starting a discussion.

You trying to take a stab at me?
onthecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #12
House Painting Reading PA

Rewards Points: 250
View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos

I have always said good things about their interior varnish, but that's about it.

Just like I am a fan of McCloskeys Man o' War Marine Spar Varnish, but their other products in my opinion will not be bought purposely for the high end jobs I contract unless the home owner buys it and if they do the labor charge goes up for working with sub-par materials.
In Berks County PA 484-334-1311
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #13
very senior member

Rewards Points: 56
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Valspar is sold from Lowe's. Do any professional painters by their paint at Lowes??

Beyr is sold at Home Depot. Do any professional painters buy thier paint at Home Depot.??

Just say no to Behr and the same for Valspar.
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Valspar makes some quality products:

House of Color paints (custom motorcycle/cars)

Quickrete

Cabot's stains.

Saying that you dislike something because a product is sold at a store you don't like is pretty petty. If they sold beer at lowe's and home depot would you stop drinking it?

They sell purdy and wooster products at HD and Lowes. Do you use another brand because of that? Or do you use them because you like them period.

Last edited by bikerboy; 05-24-2009 at 08:22 AM..
bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
Valspar makes some quality products:

House of Color paints (custom motorcycle/cars)

Quickrete

Cabot's stains.

Saying that because a product is sold at a store you don't like is pretty petty. If they sold beer at lowe's and home depot would you stop drinking it?

They sell purdy and wooster products at HD and Lowes. Do you use another brand because of that? Or do you use them because you like them period.
most of us know tho that the Purdy and Wooster dumb down there products for big box stores. Yes Valspar is huge company and makes a lot of products I still use Cabot until Vapspar messes it up which is probably in the works. I do not buy Cabot from Lowes's I buy it from a paint store along with my brushes etc.

Paint sold in BB stores is geared and marketed to HO's and DIY'rs plain and simple. I in my OP in this thread did not say Valspar was bad paint I mention the service aspect of getting products sold by peopl ewho don't care abou twhat there selling or having the lady from the garden center help in paint because no one is there at the given moment I am looking to have something made.

Also I would buy beer from Lowes or HD they probably mess the mixing of that up as well... here's a thougth I buy my beer from a store that sells "beer"

Old 05-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #16
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

I know and respect somebody that has worked at wooster for years. They have different levels of brushes, but they don't "dumb down" their products for mass marketing.

He made a good point. Why would we risk our reputation? There are enough price points for everybody.

Purdy? I don't know. Personally bought a Purdy brush at a big box cause I needed it pronto. Did not have any problems. But what do I know?

Where's Jack P when you need him?

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #17
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
I know and respect somebody that has worked at wooster for years. They have different levels of brushes, but they don't "dumb down" their products for mass marketing.

He made a good point. Why would we risk our reputation? There are enough price points for everybody.

Purdy? I don't know. Personally bought a Purdy brush at a big box cause I needed it pronto. Did not have any problems. But what do I know?

Where's Jack P when you need him?
I believe it was Purdy doing that maybe not wooster, but yes wooster has many levels of sundries and the cheaper ones seem to be at the BB Store.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 260
View daren's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecoast View Post
I use this title for the sake of starting a discussion.

You trying to take a stab at me?
So this thread is really just you trolling for a heated debate.
daren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

I pay less for paint through my supplier then I could ever get at a box store, let alone the service and warranty. Top end, professional, commercial products.

That alone makes it a simple decision.

I judge a product by its longevity. Even the cheapest products go on and look nice that first year. How do they look 5 or 10 years from now?

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Why would they dumb down a tool?
Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!
Is Dwalt, Robyi, Makita or Bosch dumb down?

Lowes is my place when i need to go to a bb. I just bought a cordless drill set 2 drills and a flashlight for 90 bucks
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None