I love it when.... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79
View MSJ Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default I love it when....

Yesterday was a tough day. Working behind a chitty contractor who was "supposed" to be done a week ago, and the poor home owner's have been unable to live on their 2nd floor including their master bedroom or bathroom for over 3 weeks. Contractor shows up whenever he wants. Rarely finishes a task, and when he does, expects us to work miracles with caulk and wood filler. Yesterday morning we show up, and the room we were supposed to be painting was still not ready to go. So we had to find other random tasks to complete in an effort to avoid wasting a full day....again.

Yesterday evening as we were cleaning up to leave, the home owner came up and told us how frustrated she was with the contractor, but how fantastic we had been throughout the whole process. She went on and on about how impressed she was that we showed up when we said we would, finished when we said we would, and did an amazing job. We obviously thanked her for her praise, and explained to her that we worked for her, and felt obligated to show up on time, etc. Seems like a no brainer really.

Anyhow, we showed up today and found this box full of the brush and roller covers featured on Shark Tank a week or so ago. They had overheard my business partner and I talking about them, and went ahead and grabbed some for us. Not a costly gift, but it seriously made all the hastles and extra prep work wayyyy less painful.

So, I love it when home owner's appreciate how hard we work to exceed their expectations. Sorry for the length of this post, but I just wanted to throw a positive experience out there for all to enjoy. Would love to hear your "I love it when" stories too!
Attached Thumbnails
I love it when....-1397615306752.jpg  

I love it when....-1397615335891.jpg  

I love it when....-1397616213148.jpg  

I love it when....-1397616352427.jpg  

MSJ Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MSJ Painting For This Useful Post:
daArch (04-16-2014), ExcelPaintingCo (04-16-2014), Gough (04-16-2014), Gymschu (04-17-2014), Jmayspaint (04-16-2014), Pretty Handy Mandi (04-16-2014), RCP (04-16-2014), Repaint Florida (04-16-2014), rwransom (04-16-2014), ShaunJ (04-16-2014), slinger58 (04-16-2014), The Paint Lady (04-17-2014), Underdog (04-18-2014), wje (04-16-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
View Monstertruck's Photo Album My Photos

How on earth did you make that trim package look acceptable?

Good on ya, for being a pro about it all and getting a thoughtful gift from the HO!
Monstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monstertruck For This Useful Post:
MSJ Painting (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75
View Pretty Handy Mandi's Photo Album My Photos

That's an awesome story, thanks for sharing! It warms my heart when people do nice things.

Even better that it was a bonus for dealing with crappy work from the carpenter install. Wow, that effort usually goes unnoticed ALL the time.

Does it piss anyone else off that on a linear foot basis, that carpenters charge more for the install, than painters charge to paint it....?!?!? It is unbelievable and is difficult to wrap my brain around.

Carpenters fly through their linear footage, sometimes barely "tacking" it on, or undercutting the wood too much, or way over shooting, not driving the nails in, or letting the recoil of the gun slam back into the wood (eliminating the contours of the trim! ) or.... This list could go on and on and on and on.

THEN they leave the caulking and puttying to us. So in reality, we spend way more time on that linear foot, hell, the carpenters don't even sand the wood. Or at least pre sand the miter joints or cut ends before install instead of leaving that little splinter our problem to deal with. Sometimes not easy. Wow, and we sure do have to use lots of product on that linear foot. Sundries that are taken for granted.

I empathize with the OP on going behind a shotty carpenter. Let me guess, he was probably a prima donna, too.

And it is awesome when your efforts are appreciated. Makes everything nice.
Those are some cool covers, they were mentioned earlier here on the forum. Thanks to whoever mentioned it, think it was RCP, or else I wouldn't have been privy to that story at all. I never watch t.v.

So how are those covers working out for you?
Pretty Handy Mandi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pretty Handy Mandi For This Useful Post:
CApainter (05-01-2014), Gymschu (04-17-2014), MSJ Painting (04-16-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 160
View TrueColors's Photo Album My Photos

I have never came across a good carpenter....I hate how we as painters have to fill and caulk there crap work.its like putting lipstick on a pig, in The end it's still a pig
TrueColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueColors View Post
I have never came across a good carpenter....I hate how we as painters have to fill and caulk there crap work.its like putting lipstick on a pig, in The end it's still a pig
I have, and the problem is that they'll spoil you to the point that you'll never want to follow the usual wood butchers again.

The photos posted by MSJ are a case in point. The p. poor fit on the casing miter, baseboards mitered instead of coped, and whatever that is by the register.

These days, if we're following other trades, I find out who they are...and bid accordingly...or not bid at all.
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
MSJ Painting (04-16-2014), slinger58 (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

Covers are sweet. Only had a chance to use them overnight, but they are performing as advertised to this point!

I will post pics of the finished areas I posted originally at the end of the day. Some times all you can do is your best and hope its good enough. If not, contractor is going straight under the bus. Ho's are pretty cool, so I think our best will be just fine though!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using PaintTalk.com mobile app
Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
I have, and the problem is that they'll spoil you to the point that you'll never want to follow the usual wood butchers again.

The photos posted by MSJ are a case in point. The p. poor fit on the casing miter, baseboards mitered instead of coped, and whatever that is by the register.

These days, if we're following other trades, I find out who they are...and bid accordingly...or not bid at all.
We bid accordingly on this one. Added 2 full days of prep for this ridiculousness. We sell ourselves as perfectionists. We are rarely the low bid, but our bids are extremely detailed, as is our cover email. We stress our attention to detail and awesome customer service / willingness to bend over backwards to accommodate ho's needs. If they want budget painters they can expect budget work. If they want a great experience from start to finish they can pay us a little more ; )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MSJ Painting For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (04-17-2014), Gough (04-16-2014), Pretty Handy Mandi (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,138
Thanked 1,033 Times in 462 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Thank you for suggesting "coping" instead of miter. No caulk needed with coping.
NACE is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NACE For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (04-17-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I would venture to say that a lot of the so called "carpenters" these days don't know what coped means, much less how to do it.
slinger58 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (04-17-2014), Gymschu (04-17-2014), wje (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 16
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Agreed.

I rarely come across coped baseboards, and when I do the difference is usually significantly better than the alternative.
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 16
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Since this is the "I love it when..." thread, let me add to it a bit and tell you about my "find" at work today.

My flooring buddy and I are doing an interior renovation. I finished up all the painting and was helping him prepare to install some vinyl flooring in one of the bathrooms. I was sweeping the floor and saw something shiny under the baseboard. What do you know, an 1853 United Stated half dime...a coin I didn't know ever existed until I did a little Googling prior to coming to Paint Talk. It is not what it could be worth that excited me...rather, how many people over the last 161 years have touched it at some point.
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SemiproJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiproJohn View Post
Since this is the "I love it when..." thread, let me add to it a bit and tell you about my "find" at work today.

My flooring buddy and I are doing an interior renovation. I finished up all the painting and was helping him prepare to install some vinyl flooring in one of the bathrooms. I was sweeping the floor and saw something shiny under the baseboard. What do you know, an 1853 United Stated half dime...a coin I didn't know ever existed until I did a little Googling prior to coming to Paint Talk. It is not what it could be worth that excited me...rather, how many people over the last 161 years have touched it at some point.
What a great way to look at it!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #13

Here is a follow up pic from the corner piece we filled and painted...not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it looks ok

Attached Thumbnails
I love it when....-1397690303486.jpg  

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MSJ Painting For This Useful Post:
Brian C (04-17-2014), Delta Painting (04-17-2014), Gough (04-16-2014), journeymanPainter (04-16-2014), Monstertruck (04-17-2014), ShaunJ (04-16-2014), slinger58 (04-16-2014), Underdog (04-18-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiproJohn View Post

In the '80s, we were doing a big Section 8 rehab. Among the other details, we had to pull the base shoe before painting the base in 38 apartments. Some of the guys found some old coins and it was like the Gold Rush. At every break, the guys would grab a flat bar and a flashlight, and go off in search of hidden treasure. They were all hoping to find $20 Double Eagles that somebody had lost. They never did, but it did liven up the job for a bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
MSJ Painting (04-16-2014), slinger58 (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJ Painting View Post
Here is a follow up pic from the corner piece we filled and painted...not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it looks ok

That's certainly better. Where the baseboard meets the register is hardly a Class 5 fit, is it?

You might want to track down some of that famous "1 1/2 inch putty".
The Following User Says Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Well done, MSJ. Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear isn't easy, but it's what we painters do.
slinger58 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
Gough (04-16-2014), MSJ Painting (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #17

Quote:
That's certainly better. Where the baseboard meets the register is hardly a Class 5 fit, is it?

You might want to track down some of that famous "1 1/2 inch putty".
This contractor had his 10$ an hour guy cut and lay all the trim and crown while he f ed up a bathroom. .we haven't even gotten in there to date...not looking forward to it lol.

At this point the ho just wants the guy out of her house. Sux for her, because she spent a lot of money on a bargain contractor.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #18

View bklynboy1970's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

This contractor had his 10$ an hour guy cut and lay all the trim and crown while he f ed up a bathroom. .we haven't even gotten in there to date...not looking forward to it lol.

At this point the ho just wants the guy out of her house. Sux for her, because she spent a lot of money on a bargain contractor.

Happens all the time in fl...even with the so called carpenters here in fl!! Rush rush dont use adhesive as well as they miss studs dont use shims....oh and the drywall guys have studs a couple of clicks off there line which causes a snake.... dam it!!! Jester dont worry "calk and paint" will make it what it aint...jester again. :-) the funny part is contractorbwants the painter tonhave impeccable work to makeball that chit looking like a million bucks. Imo painting is a craft..funny part were the last one in and same old story we spent so much already :-( can you help)

Last edited by bklynboy1970; 04-16-2014 at 10:08 PM..
bklynboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bklynboy1970 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #19

View bklynboy1970's Photo Album My Photos

I used to love it when I did my initial walk through seen the shaby miter work and gave my price amand heard the customer spill how they spent all ther budget(which is will you come down) & I say nope and still got job: :-)
bklynboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:22 AM   #20
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

she got what she asked for, serves her right
Slopmeyer (04-17-2014)

Tags
None