I need some advice!!! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
SeHablaEspañol

Rewards Points: 500
View AztecPainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default I need some advice!!!

I got called like a month ago from a guy that is a developer and also has a real estate company, well the guy contacted me requesting a estimate for a interior and exterior of one of his houses, btw sh!t hole, the last painters just finished the job, they painted the kitchen cabinets with latex over oil paint with no primer at all same with the ceilings, it's an older house so I believe it was painted years ago with oil, the trim around the doors is stained since it was built but the last painters got latex paint all over it, I've been too busy so I gave him a really high estimate so he didn't hire me, anyway, the guy called me the next day telling me my estimate was really high, the highest from everyone else but he wanted to give me the job but, he asked me to give him a letter where it says how the last painters screwed up the job and specifications so he could take the letter to the bank to get approve to pay me to fix it, anyway I gave the letter to him but it wasn't enough for him so he told me what to say on it and to sign it, I didn't do it cause I don't have a contract or commitment with him, I told him I was so busy and I couldn't do it and to get someone else to give him that letter, then the guy its been bugging me for this entire month, calling me at my cellphone at 10 pm and at 6 am every single day, even when I told him to f... off he is still bugging me...
I was having a rough day today and I decided to answer to to take out of me my anger, I told him how shady he is being and how I don't like the pushing part of it that makes it seem not legit to me etc, etc, well this is my story, any of you guys have given letters to people like that for bank stuff? Do you guys think this guy is totally planning of take advantage of this mexican painter? I would appreciate your comments...
><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>
AztecPainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 01:59 AM   #2

View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztecPainting View Post
I got called like a month ago from a guy that is a developer and also has a real estate company, well the guy contacted me requesting a estimate for a interior and exterior of one of his houses, btw sh!t hole, the last painters just finished the job, they painted the kitchen cabinets with latex over oil paint with no primer at all same with the ceilings, it's an older house so I believe it was painted years ago with oil, the trim around the doors is stained since it was built but the last painters got latex paint all over it, I've been too busy so I gave him a really high estimate so he didn't hire me, anyway, the guy called me the next day telling me my estimate was really high, the highest from everyone else but he wanted to give me the job but, he asked me to give him a letter where it says how the last painters screwed up the job and specifications so he could take the letter to the bank to get approve to pay me to fix it, anyway I gave the letter to him but it wasn't enough for him so he told me what to say on it and to sign it, I didn't do it cause I don't have a contract or commitment with him, I told him I was so busy and I couldn't do it and to get someone else to give him that letter, then the guy its been bugging me for this entire month, calling me at my cellphone at 10 pm and at 6 am every single day, even when I told him to f... off he is still bugging me...
I was having a rough day today and I decided to answer to to take out of me my anger, I told him how shady he is being and how I don't like the pushing part of it that makes it seem not legit to me etc, etc, well this is my story, any of you guys have given letters to people like that for bank stuff? Do you guys think this guy is totally planning of take advantage of this mexican painter? I would appreciate your comments...

Charge him a consultation fee and give him the letter, worst case scenario you give an expert opinion and make a few bucks.

Just don't put anything in writing you don't agree with.

Oh and have the fee credited to his bill if he DOES in fact use you

Real Life Steve Austin the Bionic Man
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
SeHablaEspañol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Painter View Post
Charge him a consultation fee and give him the letter, worst case scenario you give an expert opinion and make a few bucks.

Just don't put anything in writing you don't agree with.

Oh and have the fee credited to his bill if he DOES in fact use you
I just wanna get rid of him dude, I was thinking of charging him but nah I just want him away from me and my company, I don't trust the guy at all, I just want to know if that kind of letter is really necessary or he is getting the money and getting the cheapest painter later on, and put money on his pocket... I wanna know if that kind of thing is correct or am I being too paranoid...
><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztecPainting View Post
I just wanna get rid of him dude, I was thinking of charging him but nah I just want him away from me and my company, I don't trust the guy at all, I just want to know if that kind of letter is really necessary or he is getting the money and getting the cheapest painter later on, and put money on his pocket... I wanna know if that kind of thing is correct or am I being too paranoid...
He could be trying to overfinance for the repairs, but if he does, he owes someone the money he borrowed anyways.

He'd be diggin his own grave. I'd almost be tempted to let him, just do the letter and watch him get in even more over his head

Calls will stop, and all you're doing is giving a letter, either that or call a lawyer that specializes in restraining orders / harassment suits see if you can do anything about it

The Following User Says Thank You to BC_Painter For This Useful Post:
AztecPainting (05-13-2010)
Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
SeHablaEspañol

Thanks for the advice, I actually panic today when he told me that he will come and pick it up at my house and needed my address, I literally told him to F off and I wasn't gonna do it and still was going on and on... Anyway, I'm just too paranoid I guess...
><
>
Old 05-13-2010, 02:30 AM   #6

It just occurred to me, he COULD possibly be trying to sue the original painters for damages for repair rather than a bank loan. ( or is trying to get out of paying his painter )

Usually cost to repair stuff like that is used for settlements, not for securing financing.

If anything the bank maybe LESS likely to lend money due to the state of disrepair?

I wouldn't get involved......

Tell him you can't help him out, give him some stern warnings and then block the number if necessary, report back how that goes and whether we need to go through our rolodexes for a good lawyer :p

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BC_Painter For This Useful Post:
AztecPainting (05-13-2010), [email protected] (05-13-2010)
Old 05-13-2010, 02:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds like a setup. Dude just program his # as don't answer. And if he switches up the number.. just keep track. This guy is out for something. Anytime anyone pushes you and pushes you.. there is something REALLY wrong with what is going on even if you don't see it.. you have to know your intuition is telling you to stay away for a reason. Don't do it man.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nEighter For This Useful Post:
AztecPainting (05-13-2010), brushmonkey (05-13-2010), Capt-sheetrock (05-14-2010), chrisn (05-13-2010), [email protected] (05-13-2010), jonnythecutter (05-14-2010), vermontpainter (05-13-2010)
Old 05-13-2010, 02:51 AM   #8
SeHablaEspañol

I was thinking on the sue thing already, but he just specified to me about getting money from the bank, man if you are a developer and have a real estate company you are able to get $6400 dollars from your bank account somehow without bugging people but I just didn't trust that guy at all, he gave me a bad vibe... He also asked me if I spoke english the first meeting I had with him after we talked on the phone twice before.
><
>
Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #9
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

run forest run!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp run.bmp (18.8 KB, 49 views)
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 98
Thanked 8,625 Times in 4,022 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Luis, your gut instincts may well be correct. The warning sign to me would be; why if you had the highest bid does he want a letter from you to give to a lender? Thinking maybe he gets your letter, gets the money, goes with the cheapest bidder, and pockets the rest. (Of course a developer/realtor would never do anything like that....LOL.) Ask yourself why this individual can't get a high bid letter from someone else. The whole situation does smell.

I would never risk my business, reputation, etc., in anything that smelled of fraud. I know there are members here who will advise you of being careful about burning bridges, but some you need to just blow up. I've done that with a few over the years and have never regretted it.

I'd just tell the guy that the subject concerning this is closed and there is no further need of discussion concerning it and that you'd appreciate it if he would abide by your request.
AztecPainting (05-13-2010), Capt-sheetrock (05-14-2010), nEighter (05-13-2010)
Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #11
RPS
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 250
View RPS's Photo Album My Photos

I would shake this guy. He seems desparate. Recommend he finds someone else to look at the job and write a letter, like a paint rep. Tell him its somthing you dont practice. I would not work for this guy. He may be in trouble with the bank.
RPS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RPS For This Useful Post:
AztecPainting (05-14-2010)
Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

I have had calls like this before but never harassment.That have asked me to give a professional opinion on the other contractors work along with my proposal to fix all the issues. I simply tell them I would be happy to give them a proposal but I do not get involved in any legal or business matters involving other companies.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
AztecPainting (05-13-2010), [email protected] (05-13-2010), jonnythecutter (05-14-2010), nEighter (05-13-2010), Wolfgang (05-13-2010), Workaholic (05-13-2010)
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 150
View Jay123's Photo Album My Photos

Tell him to come on over to your house....then answer the door in heels and a mini-skirt, full make-up etc...

Then in the deepest voice you can muster..."Aztec isn't home, but that doesn't mean we can't have a good time baby!"
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jay123 For This Useful Post:
AztecPainting (05-14-2010), jonnythecutter (05-14-2010), nEighter (05-13-2010), Schmidt & Co. (05-13-2010)
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #14

View Jay123's Photo Album My Photos

He will either go running away never to bother you again, or....you'll have something even more interesting to post about him.
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay123 For This Useful Post:
nEighter (05-13-2010)
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #15

View Wallnut's Photo Album My Photos

get yourself a cheap tape recorder. When he calls tell him "I'm very sorry for your situation but at this time im not intrested in getting involved." record all of the calls and let him know that you will be recording any calls. DONT DEAL WITH REAL ESTATE AGENTS!! THEYRE DIRTY SHADY CREEPS!
Wallnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wallnut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

I would call the police department and tell them about his constant calls and that it is interupting your business, have them give him a call and see if they can get him off your as+. He might need a little intimidation himself.
Lambrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
SeHablaEspañol

He hasn't called me all day today, but he did last night and never left a message, anyway I didn't answer, he always block his phone number so that's another reason I used to answer his phone calls because I thought it might of been someone else, today is being a good day so far I guess, no phone calls at all from this guy, I think he already got it after all of this cause I told him to f.. himself and I wasn't gonna do any kind of business with him ever cause he was too pushy and shady and put me over the edge... Well let's see what's next... I guess my instincts are correct and it just seem too weird to me, thanks guys for the words of support!
><
>
Old 05-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #18
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn
run forest run!!
...funny how often this quote ends up on this forum...
And yes, I agree; Run, Forrest...Run!

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slickshift For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Trust your gut and shake this guy.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 250
View Rick the painter's Photo Album My Photos

Hes a shade ball lose the guy! Hell its May!
Rick the painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick the painter For This Useful Post:

Tags
None