I Should Have Known Better... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
RH

Rewards Points: 10,330
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default I Should Have Known Better...

Had a job about sixty miles up in the mountains coming up. Realized I was getting low on my cutting in brush of choice. Since SW bought out Purdy my regular supplier is only special ordering their brushes. I called SW and they had only one in stock. Against my better judgement I called HD

me - "I'm looking for Purdy brush *** ***, model number 12345678 - 1234, two inch angle-sash."
Note - I was VERY specific as to the brush name AND model number.

Three minutes on hold.
HD guy - "Yeah, we have that one. About six in stock."

I drive across town, go into HD and guess what? The brush I described is nowhere to be seen. I call the clerk I spoke to over to the brush section and tell him I'm the guy who called earlier. Could he please show me the brush I asked for? He looks around and points to to an XL. NOT the brush I asked for. It IS a 2" angle sash and it IS a Purdy but that's as close as it gets.

me- "Can you show me where is says it's a *** ***, model number 12345678-1234?"

HD guy - "Uhhhhh....."

Really p----d off I leave the store and go to my regular supplier who says he can order the brushes and have them for me in three days.
Later I call HD and ask to speak to a manager. I tell him what happened and that this is why I don't care to conduct business with them. His response is, "Have you ever made a mistake?"

HUH???

me - "Yeah, I called you guys thinking I could get decent service."

He goes into a big spiel about how they want to make it right and they can beat anyones' prices and they want to talk with me about what they can do for me. They also say they will order in a case of the brushes I wanted and give the first two to me for free. He then asks what my regular supplier sells them to me for so he knows how much to price them at.

me- "No-no-no, that's not how it works"! YOU tell me what your price is!"

I also tell him that I really like my regular supplier and only checked with them against my better judgement because I was in a bind. Price isn't everything - service is more important and once again they showed me what their service is like. I'm still so mad I don't think I'll even go in for my two free brushes.

So... lesson learned... never again.
PS - HD's price came in a little over $2 more per brush more than my regular guy.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (07-14-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

That is a drag. I buy my favorites buy the box, this will keep you from getting in a bind.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
ezpaintks (07-12-2011), RH (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 AM   #3
RH

I do the same - just thought I had more on hand than I actually did and that was all my fault. Usually SW has enough on hand to get me through until my regular order comes in but they just happened to be low on them. I wouldn't have really minded, or been surprised, if HD had said they didn't have them - it was being told they had them when they obviously didn't that ticked me off.
The "opportunity" here is to remember why I dislike dealing with the local HD's paint department. This isn't my first negative experience with them.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 07-12-2011 at 02:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (07-12-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #4
very senior member

Rewards Points: 56
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

me - "I'm looking for Purdy brush *** ***, model number 12345678 - 1234, two inch angle-sash."

Is this like top secret information??
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
JNLP (07-12-2011), Ole34 (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post

Is this like top secret information??
Nah... just didn't feel like going out to the truck to dig one out and look - or that anyone would care what brush it actually was.
Purdy 2" Pro-Extra Glide U.P.C. #716341015930
It's only the brand and model number of the roller covers I use that are classified info.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 07-12-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Typical box store employee. I avoid doing business with Lowes and Home Depot for this very reason.

Add up your time lost and you aren't saving anything, in fact its costing your business money.

I ordered some shutters as requested by a homeowner a few months back and had the model number from the site. I get to the contractor desk and guess what? We don't have any product with that number. So I pull it up on my phone and show it to him, ummmm duhhhhhh. I can't order it from that number, our computers are on a different system.

An hour later the store manager finally gets it sorted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...

Last edited by straight_lines; 07-12-2011 at 11:23 AM..
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
RH (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

I like their paint.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500
View One Coat Coverage's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchhound
Had a job about sixty miles up in the mountains coming up. Realized I was getting low on my cutting in brush of choice. Since SW bought out Purdy my regular supplier is only special ordering their brushes. I called SW and they had only one in stock. Against my better judgement I called HD

Note - I was VERY specific as to the brush name AND model number.

Three minutes on hold. HD guy - "Yeah, we have that one. About six in stock."

I drive across town, go into HD and guess what? The brush I described is nowhere to be seen. I call the clerk I spoke to over to the brush section and tell him I'm the guy who called earlier. Could he please show me the brush I asked for? He looks around and points to to an XL. NOT the brush I asked for. It IS a 2" angle sash and it IS a Purdy but that's as close as it gets.

me- "Can you show me where is says it's a *** ***, model number 12345678-1234?"

HD guy - "Uhhhhh....."

Really p----d off I leave the store and go to my regular supplier who says he can order the brushes and have them for me in three days.
Later I call HD and ask to speak to a manager. I tell him what happened and that this is why I don't care to conduct business with them. His response is, "Have you ever made a mistake?"

HUH???

me - "Yeah, I called you guys thinking I could get decent service."

He goes into a big spiel about how they want to make it right and they can beat anyones' prices and they want to talk with me about what they can do for me. They also say they will order in a case of the brushes I wanted and give the first two to me for free. He then asks what my regular supplier sells them to me for so he knows how much to price them at.

me- "No-no-no, that's not how it works"! YOU tell me what your price is!"

I also tell him that I really like my regular supplier and only checked with them against my better judgement because I was in a bind. Price isn't everything - service is more important and once again they showed me what their service is like. I'm still so mad I don't think I'll even go in for my two free brushes.

So... lesson learned... never again.
PS - HD's price came in a little over $2 more per brush more than my regular guy.
All this over a brush? I would not have driven across town for a brush.

One Coat Coverage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to One Coat Coverage For This Useful Post:
ltd (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Shazaam!

Rewards Points: 604
View Different Strokes's Photo Album My Photos

It's over more than just a brush. Home Depot and Lowes are not going to give you good advice, or service in the paint dept. lesson learned.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250
View cappaint's Photo Album My Photos

Dont act like the empty nesters and the college bros that work at your local SW know **** either.
cappaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cappaint For This Useful Post:
ltd (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
Shazaam!

Rewards Points: 604
View Different Strokes's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappaint View Post
Dont act like the empty nesters and the college bros that work at your local SW know **** either.
I will take the service I get from my local paint store any day over what I've dealt with at the big box. And trust me, I'm not a big box hater, they just suck in the paint dept.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Different Strokes For This Useful Post:
Gibberish45 (07-12-2011), RH (07-12-2011), Workaholic (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #12
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Coat Coverage View Post
All this over a brush? I would not have driven across town for a brush.
I can understand your reaction. Unfortunately there are only three places in my town that have paint supplies and HD is one of them.
Initially it was just about the brushes. After that it became an issue of respect. By failing to give me a correct answer to my phone enquiry and wasting my time the clerk disrespected me as a customer. The manager further disrespected me as a professional by trying to convince me that I should actually do MORE business with them because they could save me a few bucks. Hey, so what if your regular supplier gives you a great product, good prices, knowledgeable advice, outstanding service, and a ton of referrals? Buy your stuff from us because we're CHEAPER (they weren't)!
We talk all the time here about how professionalism, quality work, and business integrity are more important than offering the lowest price. Then to see the opposite of that thrown in my face just got to me.

Groucho Marx
Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 530
View Gibberish45's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappaint View Post
It's hit or miss honestly, The 3 closest SWs near me all have extremely knowledgeable employees who also are honest about comparing their products to other paint manufacturers (unlike the reps)

The 3 closest durons are full of dumb asses (except one)

They have the same problem any other company has regardless of what they do, finding personnel who make an effort. It's just harder when the entry level pay is in the single digits.

Think about it, manually matching difficult colors perfectly requires experience and skill as well as knowledge of colors. Would you be willing to perform such a technically difficult feat for $9/hr?
Gibberish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish45 View Post
It's hit or miss honestly, The 3 closest SWs near me all have extremely knowledgeable employees who also are honest about comparing their products to other paint manufacturers (unlike the reps)

The 3 closest durons are full of dumb asses (except one)

They have the same problem any other company has regardless of what they do, finding personnel who make an effort. It's just harder when the entry level pay is in the single digits.

Think about it, manually matching difficult colors perfectly requires experience and skill as well as knowledge of colors. Would you be willing to perform such a technically difficult feat for $9/hr?
I've only dealt with the SW in my town and they actually know their stuff. The guys working there have been around and have good product knowledge and bend over backwards to be of service. I'd deal with them more except my regular supplier (Miller Paints) is even better. Imagine I could go to a Miller in another town and not like them at all. Like you said... hit or miss.
Hey! There might even be an HD paint department out there somewhere that has it's act together... nah!

Groucho Marx
Old 07-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
Heidi Nyline

Rewards Points: 500
View WarlinePainting's Photo Album My Photos

Capaint, I seriously think you need your own forum, website or maybe even a radio show so you can go on endlessly about how much you hate SW. We get it.
WarlinePainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarlinePainting For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (07-14-2011), Workaholic (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #16
ltd

Rewards Points: 174
View ltd's Photo Album My Photos

my hd and lowes are great .good hard working people .they could be sitting at home watching springer waiting on a check but their putting a honest days work for not a lot of money. are their bad workers at the big boxes ?yea just like their are hacks. were painters we should know what we need .here's what i need in customer service in a big box. hey how you doing can you throw this cover stain in the shaker for me? yep no problem. thanks a lot see you later

Last edited by ltd; 07-13-2011 at 05:59 PM..
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlinePainting View Post
Capaint, I seriously think you need your own forum, website or maybe even a radio show so you can go on endlessly about how much you hate SW. We get it.
lol

I am learning a lot about this guy, he hates SW because he does not get a good discount, buys sundries at the dollar store and loves pricing threads. I can't wait for the next layer of the onion to be revealed.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Maybe she will turn out to be a hot red head, so putting up with it will be easier.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 250
View cappaint's Photo Album My Photos

I cant pass up an opportunity to take a dump on SW. That said, I just used Duration interior and it was awesome.
cappaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

After trying out a Corona (Made in the USA) all my Purdy's are dusters now.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (07-14-2011)

Tags
None