If You need to Use a Chemical Paint stripper - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kmp
  • 1 Post By CApainter

Old 05-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,253
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos
Default If You need to Use a Chemical Paint stripper

What is your preferred product?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,276
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

I prefer to have somebody else do it. I do so little of it but when I do I have used peel away. Nasty work.
Holland likes this.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 950
Thanked 9,539 Times in 5,405 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Anything with Methylene Chloride. It's toxic and to be avoided, but works better than any other chemical I know.
Holland likes this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

I tried this stuff on a couple wooden garage doors last week and it worked pretty well.

In general, I agree with CA that the regular MC formula strippers work best. Iíve never had much luck with citri strip type products.
But this stuff is a non- MC formula. It seems slightly less toxic than MC, and actually worked fine. Being able to spray it on helps also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
CApainter (05-19-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 114
View celicaxx's Photo Album My Photos

I've used oven cleaner a bit. It's not ideal in that supposedly it will basically swell the grain up on wood. But I think for paint grade stuff you'd probably be OK. It's dirt cheap, $1 a can at Dollar Tree. I have some methylene chloride, but I've never used it yet. I know the oven cleaner trick from cars, people use it to strip paint when redoing an engine bay. Also people use it on gun stocks as well, but when reading about it there people have had the wood swell/raised grain issue. I think it'd probably be one of the safer things you could use in say, a house with a dozen layers of latex trim paint you want to make nice (well, nicer) again, as far as inhaling it, though it's lye and could still eat your fingers off, so definitely need good gloves when working with it. I've only used it a really limited amount, and never in a "professional" capacity, just on my own hobby stuff, but I have seen it work.
celicaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to celicaxx For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 166
View Vinyl 54X's Photo Album My Photos

Don't know the brand it was a varnish & marine stripper. Wear gloves and mask it get's hot quick.
Vinyl 54X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Methylene chloride is on a very short list to be banned by the EPA. I think 2020 is the year it is going to be pulled from the market completely.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None