The importance of being bondable - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
centralabpainter

Rewards Points: 80
View centralalbertapaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default The importance of being bondable

Has anyone run into the problem of not getting the opportunity to bid on a big job simply because of something stupid that happened when you were young and dumb?
centralalbertapaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 12:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Get a pardon.
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:43 AM   #3
centralabpainter

Don't need one, A close friend had this problem, missed out on a new school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #4
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

A bond has nothing to do with jail or criminal record. It has to do with your credit and fiscal records. Its basically insuarance against you that you will complete the job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paradigmzz For This Useful Post:
PRC (01-05-2016), thinkpainting/nick (01-05-2016), Wolfgang (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,134
Thanked 4,509 Times in 2,486 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I have to wonder if bonding is different in Canada than it is in the US. Up here I'm pretty sure it's insurance against theft. My understanding is that there are some insurance companies that will bond individuals with criminal records. They're few and far between and depending on your criminal record the premiums can be massive.

Just my understanding, not 100% sure of that.

If you're gonna apply for a pardon, get started on it quick. It can be a very lengthy process. Keep on top of your documentation. One lost document can result in having to backtrack a step which could take months or years. The length of the process can be prohibitive to people even bothering which is sad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigmzz View Post
A bond has nothing to do with jail or criminal record. It has to do with your credit and fiscal records. Its basically insuarance against you that you will complete the job.
I wish it were that simple. Criminal records are allowed to be included in credit reports, although they usually are not. Also, the underwriters can refuse a bond or price it out of reach based on other indications of "character".

EDIT: at least in the US

Last edited by Gough; 01-05-2016 at 10:03 AM..
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
I have to wonder if bonding is different in Canada than it is in the US. Up here I'm pretty sure it's insurance against theft. My understanding is that there are some insurance companies that will bond individuals with criminal records. They're few and far between and depending on your criminal record the premiums can be massive.

Just my understanding, not 100% sure of that.

If you're gonna apply for a pardon, get started on it quick. It can be a very lengthy process. Keep on top of your documentation. One lost document can result in having to backtrack a step which could take months or years. The length of the process can be prohibitive to people even bothering which is sad.
When I got my insurance they fight even ask shout a criminal record.

I was always in the understanding that being bendable meant no criminal record.
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigmzz View Post
Quite right you are and in days of old the GC would carry the bond for us. Those were the days when we actully worked together Here so long as you have the money ( to bid a school) you cany buy a performance bond . You do have to have colleteral ie your house, cash, business

Oh and far as criminal record heck here tons of illegals work on state and federal jobs with no idea where they came from or there background. Again if your fully legit you pay the price most times. If you are worried about your criminal record apply for Governors pardon it happens trust me.

Last edited by thinkpainting/nick; 01-05-2016 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Grammar
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkpainting/nick For This Useful Post:
Rbriggs82 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #9
RH

Rewards Points: 5,750
Thanked 15,417 Times in 8,089 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

No. I have always lived the life of a saint and scholar - while also being incredibly humble.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
CApainter (01-06-2016), SemiproJohn (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #10
centralabpainter

That's how it is on that side of the line, in Canada you need to be bondable.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #11
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Your company should have its own tax id and its own dunn and Bradstreet credit rating. If your a OMS taking your self named company checks and cashing them at the customers banks or the has station, any job you would have to bond on would be beyond your grasp, because chances are you couldnt keep up with the paperwork or have the operating cash to pay a bond months before you start a job anyways.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #12
RH

Rewards Points: 5,750
Thanked 15,417 Times in 8,089 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

In order to get a contractors' license here in Oregon (which is required by law), you have to have insurance and a bond. The size of the bond depends on what type of contractors' license you have. So, if your past history kept you from aquiring a bond, you couldn't legally perform work as a contractor.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
In order to get a contractors' license here in Oregon (which is required by law), you have to have insurance and a bond. The size of the bond depends on what type of contractors' license you have. So, if your past history kept you from aquiring a bond, you couldn't legally perform work as a contractor.
One of the nice things about being a registered contractor in WA state (maybe the ONLY nice thing) is that they have an alternative to paying for a bond. You can deposit a specified amount in a WA saving institution in an "assigned account". Right now, that hardly seems like a big deal, but when we could lock in 10-year CD at 12%, that seemed a sweet alternative to the annual cost of a bond. We got the interest and after dropping our ticket, we got the principal back.
RH (01-06-2016)

Tags
None