Job Commences - 4 days later - Customer did not choose all colors - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 09-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,515
View PaintersUnite's Photo Album My Photos
Default Job Commences - 4 days later - Customer did not choose all colors

Job Commences - 4 days later - Customer did not choose all colors.

Yes, there is prep work.
Yes, there are white ceilings to paint.

I already tried to explain to the customer, that I like to go to the paint store the first day, and get all of my paints and supplies. I told her I lose time and money, every additional time I have to run to the paint store. 4 days later, she still is not sure what colors. Now today, 4 days later, after buying the trim paint "BM white dove, semi-gloss" she wants satin instead.

How to you guys handle this in advance?
PaintersUnite is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

Get all approval for sheens and colors in writing before the job starts. Emails are fine for this and easy to keep track of for future use. Help her with the color choices by offering to put up some samples.

We have started jobs without all of the colors chosen, but if there is a change to an existing finish or paint selection and if we have already purchased the paint then we issue a change order to the HO for the value of the paint that we have purchased.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Roamer; 09-08-2014 at 06:16 PM..
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Roamer For This Useful Post:
Brian C (09-09-2014), chrisn (09-08-2014), Delta Painting (09-08-2014), George Z (09-08-2014), MSJ Painting (09-09-2014), PaintersUnite (09-10-2014), phillyholiday (09-09-2014), ProWallGuy (09-08-2014), RH (09-08-2014), ridesarize (09-11-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Troy

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

It's one of my conditions before agreeing to start the job, that all colors and sheens have been chosen. The contract is signed when we begin and all paints, colors & sheens are in the contract, as well as which surfaces will receive each product. I also include a statement about additional charges that they will incur if any changes are made after they sign the contract. Those changes are detailed in a change order, which they sign, and is amended to the original contract.

Stelzer Painting Inc.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
Brian C (09-09-2014), Delta Painting (09-08-2014), George Z (09-08-2014), MSJ Painting (09-09-2014), PaintersUnite (09-10-2014), phillyholiday (09-09-2014), ridesarize (09-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #4
painter extraordinaire

Rewards Points: 1,066
Thanked 1,078 Times in 611 Posts
View Brian C's Photo Album My Photos

Tell the homeowner you have to stop work and go to another job if colour scheme isn't finalised promptly.
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian C For This Useful Post:
Damon T (09-09-2014), PaintersUnite (09-10-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
RH

Rewards Points: 5,704
Thanked 15,412 Times in 8,084 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Usually the colors and sheens are decided and signed off on before we start but we will sometimes begin if we have enough colors locked in to get us a fair way into the project. Often people just need to see the main color before comitting to an accent color.

If we start to get close to the next phase and a decision still hasn't been made then usually just the threat of moving off site to another job is enough to get the HO moving. I'm guessing it's only been a handful of times that we've actually had to pull out and move on. When it has happened, I've sometimes added a fee for delay of work. Just depends on the specific circumstances and the attitude of the customer.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Brian C (09-09-2014), PaintersUnite (09-10-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,599 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos
Default Job Commences - 4 days later - Customer did not choose all colors

Live n learn. Been there many times. (I'm a slow learner)
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 248
View glennb's Photo Album My Photos

if you have started the job and she still hasn't chosen colours then be prepared for a 100 sample pots lol. give her a fan deck and a colour schedule and leave her alone !
glennb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Burn it up on first coat.
No biggie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintersUnite View Post
Job Commences - 4 days later - Customer did not choose all colors.

Yes, there is prep work.
Yes, there are white ceilings to paint.

I already tried to explain to the customer, that I like to go to the paint store the first day, and get all of my paints and supplies. I told her I lose time and money, every additional time I have to run to the paint store. 4 days later, she still is not sure what colors. Now today, 4 days later, after buying the trim paint "BM white dove, semi-gloss" she wants satin instead.

How to you guys handle this in advance?
As everyone says, a contract needs to explain when colors and sheens need be received by you and the results of changes made.

The only observation I am going to make is your explanation to her about YOUR costs and loss time if you have to make multiple trips. Many people (especially the "all about me" types) really don't give a crap about your time and profits. Express it in terms of THEM, how much additional/unexpected/unforeseen labor and material costs her indecision and changes will add to the final invoice.

And sometimes, some people will have no problem. Some people just like to coddled and willing to pay for your patience. (they are rare and nice to run across)

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Exactoman (09-10-2014), PaintersUnite (09-10-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Burn it up on first coat. No biggie.
The good thing, you went from a semi finish to a satin finish. satin will be much more kind, I'll take that switch all day long. On a big job definitely worth the wasted paint, god forbid u make a issue about the hundred bucks or so and lose the advantage u get with satin vs semi.

a small job though. And my money. I wouldn't want to eat that. Specially if it was tight.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10
View Hankdog's Photo Album My Photos

Always have a written contract with as much detail as you can get. I like the idea of a provision for extra charges if they make changes. If someone knows it will cost them to change something, then they will be careful upfront and they won't want to change anything on you.
Hankdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
The good thing, you went from a semi finish to a satin finish. satin will be much more kind, I'll take that switch all day long. On a big job definitely worth the wasted paint, god forbid u make a issue about the hundred bucks or so and lose the advantage u get with satin vs semi.

a small job though. And my money. I wouldn't want to eat that. Specially if it was tight.
Sure, and if the color was SW666 Babyvomit I would be more inclined to argue, but an extra gallon of White Dove is sort of like having a few extra napkins in the glove box. You might not use it today, but you're gonna use it in the next few weeks.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bender For This Useful Post:
Exactoman (09-10-2014), Rbriggs82 (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 234
View Exactoman's Photo Album My Photos

I totally agree with daArch here. Why tell them it'll cost YOU more money? I'll tell them it'll cost them more money, because you had your hours in your estimate fine tuned to only going to paint store once, now by having to go back and forth multiple times I'd throw another 3-5 Benjamins on that bill. Kids today only learn if you mess with their paper man!

Sent from my iPad using PaintTalk.com
Exactoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 22
View Sovereign Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I 100% agree with Roamer, he is spot on. Especially in our society of custom coloring (and I have no clue why spell check marked color spelled wrong when its not).

Everything should be done in writing, if the customer is unsure, she needs more time to decide and you need to put that job on hold and move on to another until she has decided.

At this point what I would do since you did not put that in writing is try and convince her that the materials were already bought and are not returnable. Feel her out to see her reaction, then go from there. This is a situation that you won't be able to please both parties ie: you and her.
But if the paint is returnable, then I would return it for her, suck up the loss and next time place language in your contracts that pertains to purchasing materials and all material purchases are final after customer sign off.

Been there, done that, but in my case, the job was already completed with the first choice the HO made, was out of town when I was on the job, came home and did not like how the colors looked.
He did threaten to sue as alot of angry and confused people do, this is what made me put that kind of language in my contracts.

But working for one lady in a real estate flipping situation, I have the luxury of the customer buying the paint, so if she messes up, its her problem.
Sovereign Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 234
View Exactoman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign Painter View Post
I 100% agree with Roamer, he is spot on. Especially in our society of custom coloring (and I have no clue why spell check marked color spelled wrong when its not).

Everything should be done in writing, if the customer is unsure, she needs more time to decide and you need to put that job on hold and move on to another until she has decided.

At this point what I would do since you did not put that in writing is try and convince her that the materials were already bought and are not returnable. Feel her out to see her reaction, then go from there. This is a situation that you won't be able to please both parties ie: you and her.
But if the paint is returnable, then I would return it for her, suck up the loss and next time place language in your contracts that pertains to purchasing materials and all material purchases are final after customer sign off.

Been there, done that, but in my case, the job was already completed with the first choice the HO made, was out of town when I was on the job, came home and did not like how the colors looked.
He did threaten to sue as alot of angry and confused people do, this is what made me put that kind of language in my contracts.

But working for one lady in a real estate flipping situation, I have the luxury of the customer buying the paint, so if she messes up, its her problem.

Uh...unless you buy the wrong color....it's ALWAYS the customers fault. The customer ALWAYS buys the paint, it's included in the bid. AND, regardless of whether or not the customer is in town, out of town, whatever, if he chooses colors, I apply em, and he doesn't like em, he sure as f$&k can't sue, but he can pay me to apply colors to the walls until he likes it.
Include whatever you all want in your bids, about timeliness of hos choosing paint, whatever, but the bottom line is that it shouldn't take a sales genius to convince an ho that when you buy a paint, if it's tinted, then it's not returnable.
This problem here is very resolvable, by the op taking an interest in helping to choose the paint. Others have said this, but painting is much more than just painting. Some agree, others do not, but it is about building a relationship, and being available to transform these people's homes. Don't act like you are getting inconvenienced, instead, help them to understand this process. When you do that, they will see all that goes into it, and will be more understandable when their bill reflects that.

Sent from my iPad using PaintTalk.com
Exactoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
As everyone says, a contract needs to explain when colors and sheens need be received by you and the results of changes made.

The only observation I am going to make is your explanation to her about YOUR costs and loss time if you have to make multiple trips. Many people (especially the "all about me" types) really don't give a crap about your time and profits. Express it in terms of THEM, how much additional/unexpected/unforeseen labor and material costs her indecision and changes will add to the final invoice.

And sometimes, some people will have no problem. Some people just like to coddled and willing to pay for your patience. (they are rare and nice to run across)
Ain't the the truth.

Here is what happened. I told her, as a courtesy, I make ONE trip to the paint store for the paint. Every time after that, is a $35.00 charge.

She had all the colors picked out the next day.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

My agreement goes to Roamer in this particular thread.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
My agreement goes to Roamer in this particular thread.
Great post, only, I want nothing to do with choosing colors or helping.
I make it the customers 100% responsibility.

I am a painter, not an interior designer.

Tags
None