Just a little rant - Page 3 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 857
Rewards Points: 1,515
Thanks: 227
Thanked 459 Times in 269 Posts
View PaintersUnite's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwizzard View Post
If you have already put in a couple of hrs work, by taking initial call, drove to potential job, presumably spent 40-60mins on site, typed up and sent email, that's a few hrs work min. My question would be why wouldn't you call or email? Another 10mins is all it would take, its daft IMO not to.

The point made of texting to let the customer know email is sent is genius. I'm going to try that!

There's 5 points of contact, call, meet, txt, email and follow up. By then a rapport should be building and you land the job. ��

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
When the customer hires you within 24 hrs of receiving your proposal, there would be no need/reason to follow up, other than giving them a start date. Also, I find that most clients I deal with (with no follow up), accept my proposal in under 7 calendar days and contact me to schedule the work.

Actual chain of events, from proposal submission to proposal acceptance (in under 24 hours):

Dear Home Owner, Sent By: painting contractor On:Aug 08/09/15 11:31 PM

Please find attached the proposal for painting work in your home.
If you should have any questions regarding the proposal or scheduling the work, do not hesitate to ask.

Also, if you can send a conformation email, assuring me that you have received the proposal, I would appreciate that.

Sincerely,

Painting Contractor

Dear Contractor Sent By: Home Owner On: Aug 08/10/15 10:02 PM

I was hoping the estimate would come in a little lower, but I understand the work to be done is labor-intensive and that you do quality work. So we have decided to move forward and hire you. I was wondering if you could include one small addition for the $1,500. As you know, we have a small foyer. Would it be possible for you to paint that ceiling - if you remember it is really small - while you are painting adjacent in the family room?

Please let me know when you would like to do the work. We can't have any work done in the house next week, but you may start anytime beginning with Monday, August 24.

Thank you. It was a pleasure to meet you and I look forward to a beautiful ceiling. Let me know how to get you the signed contract and the check for $750.

Best,

Homeowner

Last edited by PaintersUnite; 09-06-2015 at 09:28 PM..
PaintersUnite is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #42
PinheadsUnite
 
daArch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: almost there
Posts: 30,724
Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanks: 13,929
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Sometimes I get the feeling that some folks love arguing just for the sake of arguing.

But what do I know? After only a couple of decades breathing on my own, and a few weeks involved with internet forums, I obviously have not a clue.





__________________
"Glazed Donuts Are the Building Blocks of the Universe"

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
chrisn (09-07-2015), DrakeB (09-08-2015), Gough (09-06-2015), PACman (09-07-2015), slinger58 (09-06-2015), Wildbill7145 (09-07-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 857
Rewards Points: 1,515
Thanks: 227
Thanked 459 Times in 269 Posts
View PaintersUnite's Photo Album My Photos
Default

The follow-up is nothing more than the impatient contractor thinking, "I Need To Know". Tom Petty couldn't have written a better song for them.

PaintersUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-07-2015, 02:02 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
TKbrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 203
Rewards Points: 406
Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 52 Posts
View TKbrush's Photo Album My Photos
Default

For myself, i dont call back after an estimate. But my business is very small, no employees. So at this level, i get 9 out of 10 jobs anyway. With most small business's that i know, its all word of mouth work.

I can understand callbacks if one has five plus employees and is keen on keeping work lined up for future schedule. As mentioned, a follow up txt to a proposal seems like a good idea.
In fact txting with customers is very efficient, house address, paint colors, schedules etc.

In a way, that comment about customers saying that tradesmen have not called them back, factors into this subject. I have heard that somewhat often myself. When some folks are busy, they sometimes dont call back...a business owner or customer, as was mentioned.
I have heard a few stories of jobs being done and things get held up and customers not even being able to get a call back from business owners...like established business's w advertising, employees etc.
So, it does happen. I myself, always return every call, just as its a normal thing to do.
TKbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 546
Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanks: 128
Thanked 349 Times in 206 Posts
View GR8painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintersUnite View Post
The follow-up is nothing more than the impatient contractor thinking, "I Need To Know". Tom Petty couldn't have written a better song for them.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers- I Need to Know - YouTube
Best song he ever wrote. This thread is severely played out, thing I'll watch the video.
GR8painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
TKbrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 203
Rewards Points: 406
Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 52 Posts
View TKbrush's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Unfortunately with a "follow up" the potential customer may hear the tom petty song, won't back down...and ya might not get the job.
Actually i think the tom petty song, jammin me, would be the most be the best one haha. Great song

Last edited by TKbrush; 09-07-2015 at 02:42 PM..
TKbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,338
Rewards Points: 158
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Kind of along these lines. The electric supply warehouse across the street from me is getting powerwashed. I know from a customer that put in a bid for them that they are planning to paint it. I also know that there are some pretty bad paint failures that should be corrected, but the owner wants it done as cheaply as possible. Now the question. I am pretty sure that whoever is going to paint it is just going to clean it and slap some Superpaint on it (Superpaint if the building owner gets lucky.), so i'm pretty sure that talking to the painter will be a waste of time. (although i will at least give him the opportunity to tell me to F-off face to face). But would i be getting too pushy and be crossing a line if i contacted the building owner to try to sell him on my paint? They are a locally owned electrical supply that I would assume would be willing to buy from a local paint supplier, but should i and how should i go about contacting them? I have their e-mail address. Would i be crossing a line if i e-mailed them and pointed out that i could be supplying paint for their building?

You guys are on that side of the business and i would greatly appreciate any insight you could give me.

Oh and also. the guy powerwashing it is using some cheap ass all purpose cleaner concentrate they sell at Dollar Tree for a buck a gallon if that tells you what kind of job they intend to do.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited by PACman; 09-08-2015 at 09:59 AM..
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Stretch67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 1,129
Rewards Points: 666
Thanks: 582
Thanked 863 Times in 418 Posts
View Stretch67's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Kind of along these lines. The electric supply warehouse across the street from me is getting powerwashed. I know from a customer that put in a bid for them that they are planning to paint it. I also know that there are some pretty bad paint failures that should be corrected, but the owner wants it done as cheaply as possible. Now the question. I am pretty sure that whoever is going to paint it is just going to clean it and slap some Superpaint on it (Superpaint if the building owner gets lucky.), so i'm pretty sure that talking to the painter will be a waste of time. (although i will at least give him the opportunity to tell me to F-off face to face). But would i be getting too pushy and be crossing a line if i contacted the building owner to try to sell him on my paint? They are a locally owned electrical supply that I would assume would be willing to buy from a local paint supplier, but should i and how should i go about contacting them? I have their e-mail address. Would i be crossing a line if i e-mailed them and pointed out that i could be supplying paint for their building?

You guys are on that side of the business and i would greatly appreciate any insight you could give me.

Oh and also. the guy powerwashing it is using some cheap ass all purpose cleaner concentrate they sell at Dollar Tree for a buck a gallon if that tells you what kind of job they intend to do.
Go knock on the door an ask if u can talk to em. Simple as that.

Understand that its their building an they have every right to choose whatever paint they want. Different strokes.
__________________
I got a post hole digger too! What's that got to do with the weather?
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch67 For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,338
Rewards Points: 158
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceraisanen View Post
Go knock on the door an ask if u can talk to em. Simple as that.

Understand that its their building an they have every right to choose whatever paint they want. Different strokes.
that's kind of the way I'm thinking. If the painter hasn't approached me yet then to heck with him. If I piss him off then so what. He wasn't going to buy from me anyway so i might as well go to the building owner.
But it's beginning to look like another blow and go metal building repaint, so i might not actually want my paint associated with this job.

Or, I could be a real dick and go over and talk to the building owner and tell him that they are not doing the best surface prep. I'll wait and see if they are going to do anything about the 6" of rotting wood around the bottom first.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited by PACman; 09-08-2015 at 11:46 AM..
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 163
Rewards Points: 79
Thanks: 90
Thanked 64 Times in 40 Posts
View BuckeyePainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I remember when I had to "adjust" a price one time. This Indian (the kind that come from India) called me up wanting me to do her bathroom. Remove wallpaper, mud the walls, sand and paint. We set a day and time for me to look at it. This house was in the middle of a huge, newer, high-dollar neighborhood development on the outskirts of town. This house was huge, at least a $1M valuation. Anyways, we look over the job together and I gave her a price. As I'm writing out the contract, she had the guts to say: "I'm a senior citizen. Does that mean I get discount?" Me being nice and dumb say "Sure. I'll knock a $100 off." I had her sign it and I leave. A couple days later, she starts blowing up my phone, while I'm in the middle of a job. I answered it and she wanted me to lower the price...AGAIN! She started getting me mad when she said "My friends all said that removing wallpaper is easy! You're too high! Why are you charging me so much?" I went round and round with her on the phone and finally I got to a point where I just couldn't take it anymore and told her: "If it's so easy, quit wasting my time and have your f***ing friends do it!" and hung up on her. Never got the job or call back and I'm thankful for that!
BuckeyePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BuckeyePainter For This Useful Post:
daArch (09-11-2015), DrakeB (09-10-2015), PACman (09-10-2015), SemiproJohn (09-09-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,338
Rewards Points: 158
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
that's kind of the way I'm thinking. If the painter hasn't approached me yet then to heck with him. If I piss him off then so what. He wasn't going to buy from me anyway so i might as well go to the building owner.
But it's beginning to look like another blow and go metal building repaint, so i might not actually want my paint associated with this job.

Or, I could be a real dick and go over and talk to the building owner and tell him that they are not doing the best surface prep. I'll wait and see if they are going to do anything about the 6" of rotting wood around the bottom first.
They have spent two days painting a 18"x50' metal stripe safety red over medium blue. They are going to have to put a fourth coat on to cover the blue. That is unless they think the building owner is blind and can't see that it is almost purple in spots. To bad they won't use my Cali that would cover in two coats no problem. The building they are doing shouldn't be more that a two day job, but for some reason they just have to use the cheapest red paint they can find and save a couple bucks a gallon. Gotta bank that cash right? Who cares that it is taking so long? Labor is cheap right?
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Roamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 1,109
Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanks: 87
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKbrush View Post
For myself, i dont call back after an estimate. But my business is very small, no employees. So at this level, i get 9 out of 10 jobs anyway. With most small business's that i know, its all word of mouth work.

I can understand callbacks if one has five plus employees and is keen on keeping work lined up for future schedule.
As a small company like yourself following up on bids is doubly important. Since you are likely responsible for doing all of the painting, bidding, writing up estimates and closing the bid you should be spending some of that time following up to save you from the rat wheel of doing multiple bids in order to get the work in the first place.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roamer For This Useful Post:
chrisn (09-11-2015), daArch (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,373
Rewards Points: 764
Thanks: 4,849
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
As a small company like yourself following up on bids is doubly important. Since you are likely responsible for doing all of the painting, bidding, writing up estimates and closing the bid you should be spending some of that time following up to save you from the rat wheel of doing multiple bids in order to get the work in the first place.
It kinda depends. If he's having consistent work that he's not having to chase anyways then he'd probably still be doing all the bids even if he was landing a few more jobs. In cases like that, I can totally understand not calling back. Though, you could argue if that's the case he could be charging more and bidding less and following up instead to make more money in less time. Hard to say.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
WestCoast99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 103
Rewards Points: 104
Thanks: 17
Thanked 47 Times in 26 Posts
View WestCoast99's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman
They have spent two days painting a 18"x50' metal stripe safety red over medium blue. They are going to have to put a fourth coat on to cover the blue. That is unless they think the building owner is blind and can't see that it is almost purple in spots. To bad they won't use my Cali that would cover in two coats no problem. The building they are doing shouldn't be more that a two day job, but for some reason they just have to use the cheapest red paint they can find and save a couple bucks a gallon. Gotta bank that cash right? Who cares that it is taking so long? Labor is cheap right?
Ultimately most users of this forum are painters and painting contractors. I'd hate to have some paint rep/retailer walk over to my customer and tell them that I'm doing it all wrong. Especially if the paint company person hadn't picked up a brush/blueprint/ or paint pump in any meaningful way in recent times. I do not intend to offend here, but the point is these other guys are tasked with doing a job, they are out in the sun slogging away at it, and they are getting it done. It might not be perfect or the most efficient process but it's their blood and guts in real labor hours churning out the work (and the lowest bid/price for the owner!). To think about reviewing another company's construction work from an air conditioned storefront window upsets me. Maybe tell the contractor that a better product/tinted
primer would improve production. Going to the owner of the building is in poor taste - unless you offer to crawl up the scaffold and do the job yourself.
Go easier on the painters. We're potential customers after all.
WestCoast99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WestCoast99 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (09-11-2015), clermontpainting (09-11-2015), PACman (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 546
Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanks: 128
Thanked 349 Times in 206 Posts
View GR8painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Is this thread still going...I was planning on attending the funeral services.
GR8painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GR8painter For This Useful Post:
daArch (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,338
Rewards Points: 158
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast99 View Post
Ultimately most users of this forum are painters and painting contractors. I'd hate to have some paint rep/retailer walk over to my customer and tell them that I'm doing it all wrong. Especially if the paint company person hadn't picked up a brush/blueprint/ or paint pump in any meaningful way in recent times. I do not intend to offend here, but the point is these other guys are tasked with doing a job, they are out in the sun slogging away at it, and they are getting it done. It might not be perfect or the most efficient process but it's their blood and guts in real labor hours churning out the work (and the lowest bid/price for the owner!). To think about reviewing another company's construction work from an air conditioned storefront window upsets me. Maybe tell the contractor that a better product/tinted
primer would improve production. Going to the owner of the building is in poor taste - unless you offer to crawl up the scaffold and do the job yourself.
Go easier on the painters. We're potential customers after all.
That's basically the way i really feel. I don't want to insult someone. But i kinda think the painters are losing their butts on this job because the paint doesn't cover for 5hit. I pretty much just went over and said hello and I'm across the street if you need any thing. Kept my mouth shut about everything else.

They didn't show yesterday and it was an absolutely perfect day for exterior painting. I know they were expected because all of the employees parked away from the building. I suspect they had another exterior job that they could actually make some money on and they went there yesterday. I have a feeling they will probably work on this building this weekend.

I asked you guys for your opinions on this and a am grateful for the input. I have seen many sales people that would have been ultra aggressive and would have probably pissed them off.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #57
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,373
Rewards Points: 764
Thanks: 4,849
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast99 View Post
Ultimately most users of this forum are painters and painting contractors. I'd hate to have some paint rep/retailer walk over to my customer and tell them that I'm doing it all wrong. Especially if the paint company person hadn't picked up a brush/blueprint/ or paint pump in any meaningful way in recent times. I do not intend to offend here, but the point is these other guys are tasked with doing a job, they are out in the sun slogging away at it, and they are getting it done. It might not be perfect or the most efficient process but it's their blood and guts in real labor hours churning out the work (and the lowest bid/price for the owner!). To think about reviewing another company's construction work from an air conditioned storefront window upsets me. Maybe tell the contractor that a better product/tinted
primer would improve production. Going to the owner of the building is in poor taste - unless you offer to crawl up the scaffold and do the job yourself.
Go easier on the painters. We're potential customers after all.
Just to throw my loose change at this, as I've mentioned before on this site, right or wrong (especially in regards to construction best practices and application) is not a relative question. It doesn't matter if it's me sitting in an air conditioned store, some guy who's never painted in his life, or a life-long painter- if we see you painting with the handle of the brush and holding the bristles, we're right and you're wrong no matter where we're sitting. It's a fallacy to think only people who are painters can know the best practices for the field, especially considering what absolute jokes some painters are. One of the local painters just tried to put exterior satin house paint on bare, unprimed, new treated lumber deck. I wouldn't sell it to him, and had to take 20 minutes to educate him on why. Should I just have stayed quiet and let him do it because I'm in the A/C and he's in the sun? I don't think so.

Not trying to be rude. In general, I agree- I wouldn't say anything to the building owner, either. But the reason I wouldn't say anything isn't because I'm just a lowly salesman who's not allowed an opinion, it's because I don't think it's right to undercut contractors like that.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrakeB For This Useful Post:
Gough (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #58
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 857
Rewards Points: 1,515
Thanks: 227
Thanked 459 Times in 269 Posts
View PaintersUnite's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8painter View Post
Is this thread still going...I was planning on attending the funeral services.
Like someone said; "Sometimes I get the feeling that some folks love arguing just for the sake of arguing".

Would have been nice to end this thread with a Tom Petty song!
PaintersUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
TKbrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 203
Rewards Points: 406
Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 52 Posts
View TKbrush's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
As a small company like yourself following up on bids is doubly important. Since you are likely responsible for doing all of the painting, bidding, writing up estimates and closing the bid you should be spending some of that time following up to save you from the rat wheel of doing multiple bids in order to get the work in the first place.
I hear ya, but everything seems to go ok. When people need jobs fast and cant wait, i refer other painters. So being its just me and time...jobs come and go.
I have never done multiple bids...i guess i am on a slow and steady level.
TKbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com