Landscape fabric for power washing wood houses - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 380
View Veith@toast.net's Photo Album My Photos
Default Landscape fabric for power washing wood houses

Witch type are you using? When you are powerwashing a house. I have seen some refernce here about it and have one coming up that is high dollor home.
Thanks
David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veith@toast.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Are you talking about past the 10 foot of plastic sheeting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 380
View Veith@toast.net's Photo Album My Photos

I amite I am not sure. I have seen some threads here referring to a landscape fabric for catch paint chips when you power wash a house.
David

Veith@toast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
RCP

Landscape fabric is not allowed.

I am not sure how well it work anyway, the stuff that I use in the garden, the water does not really go thru it very quickly. I have seen a type of fabric/netting used for shade that might work.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,056
View Jason@API's Photo Album My Photos

I use that landscape fabric. I dunno which brand, other than I got it at Lowes. I use it to catch debris when pressure washing roofs. Great stuff. The key to getting the water to flow through it is getting it wet with the hose first. Let it soak up some water, this will also keep it from blowing around on a fairly windy day. Tent steaks or dead tree limbs to hold it to the ground works good or a few gallons of paint, whatever you have available for the surface your on.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-17-2010 at 11:08 AM..
Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Is preparation for an exterior repaint considered renovation? EPA wasn't being specific to the trade other than renovating.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is preparation for an exterior repaint considered renovation? EPA wasn't being specific to the trade other than renovating.
I would think that would be considered "disturbing the surface" but I'm so confused with this I'm thinking about staying out of the pre 78 homes for a couple of years. On average we were doing around 12-20 a year.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
nEighter (05-18-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

I believe it has to be over a certain percentage compared to the total surface area. If its under this threshold, then EPA rules don't apply. But many if not most pre 1978 homes probably do require scraping an area greater than this threshold.

What I want to know is, how do you tape down plastic sheeting on grass to follow this new regulation? And how do you deal with all the bushes, trees, etc in the way of laying down plastic?

TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Paint View Post
I believe it has to be over a certain percentage compared to the total surface area. If its under this threshold, then EPA rules don't apply. But many if not most pre 1978 homes probably do require scraping an area greater than this threshold.

What I want to know is, how do you tape down plastic sheeting on grass to follow this new regulation? And how do you deal with all the bushes, trees, etc in the way of laying down plastic?
TJ...you've have been gone awhile!! do a search for RRP and you will see this topic discussed to no end!!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
I would think that would be considered "disturbing the surface" but I'm so confused with this I'm thinking about staying out of the pre 78 homes for a couple of years. On average we were doing around 12-20 a year.

I haven't yet looked up EPA's definition of "renovation" but I was thinking of the use of the fabric for general use on siding with chipping paint, not specifically for homes older than 78.

So, your saying that renovation is the process of tearing/removing then replacing. And this is in line with chipping/pealing paint? As if one is removing paint and replacing? That would make sense if in fact EPA looks at surface preparation in this manner as "renovating".

Now, are we saying that painting contractors have to be certified renovators to remove paint off of ANY home? Or is this only for RRP issues on homes older than 78?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
TJ...you've have been gone awhile!! do a search for RRP and you will see this topic discussed to no end!!
I did read the EPA literature on this. I basically get the process. I mean they want everything covered with plastic, and dust minimized. Inside, its pretty easy to tape down and seal everything off, although it takes time. But outside, I don't understand how one would "tape" plastic down on grass and over all the different landscaping.

TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Paint View Post
I did read the EPA literature on this. I basically get the process. I mean they want everything covered with plastic, and dust minimized. Inside, its pretty easy to tape down and seal everything off, although it takes time. But outside, I don't understand how one would "tape" plastic down on grass and over all the different landscaping.
They don't care!!! use blocks,stakes,rocks,whatever & Make sure it's 6 mil "white" plastic.

The Following User Says Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
TJ Paint (05-17-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
RCP

Sorry TJ, I just assumed you meant on a pre 78 home!

Tags
None