Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Let’s talk about primer

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  pjohnson1970 
#1 ·
WHat are your go to primers.. latex , oil, whatever. All manufacturers and applications.

#4 ·
Primers are task specific if you ask me. I’ll match up the primer for the specific results desired, because there really isn’t one “universal” primer that does it all. But the primers that I use the most are:

Stix
Cover Stain
Bin
PPG 6-2
Gardz
Seal Grip
Mad Dog

Ditto. Primers are a tool. Depends on what job needs to be done. I do continue to love my Bullseye 123 for a lot of things though.

#7 ·
Primers are a tool, if there was a primer that did everything great I wouldn't be carrying:
superspec 253 (best feedback from this product spray new drywall)
advance primer
027 (similar to 123)
natura zero voc primer
primelock plus (not sure on quality but better price point than 024)
aqualock (not sure on quality but better price point than N023)
stix
corotech v155 (awesome stuff)
rust scat dtm primers (available in quarts)
rattle cans: BIN, 123, coverstain, rustoleum

#8 ·
I just use paint and primer in 1. On everything. Cuz the labels say I can. JUST KIDDING.

I, too, use whatever is appropriate to stabilize the surface and provide an appropriate foundatin for top coat.
Least aggressive to most aggressive wb to solvent. Mine are not much different from anybody elses....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited)
As stated, different primers for different applications.

Here's a good example, epoxy coatings. Without the correct primer there's a good chance the epoxy will melt the primer. So a single primer for everything just isn't going to exist, per se.

I've switched from MultiSurface primer to Extreme Bond. Double the cost, but it's a good bonding primer that can even be used to hard-to-stick like glass, etc. It's come in handy a few times and it's good enough from drywall, metal, pvc, etc. without having to switch things up and I trust it will create a good strong bond.

That's my 2 cents. We usually carry a gallon or two in the trailer at all times.

edit:
Extreme bond is both interior/exterior. And can be used with hi-performance top coats such as epoxies, urethanes, and even lacquers. Good stuff. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.