Life span of stain on a deck - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
Painting Co. Owner

Rewards Points: 242
View Greg Mrakich's Photo Album My Photos
Default Life span of stain on a deck

A question I get often. In Indianapolis were we have everything from sub zero temps and ice storms to 90 degrees and 100% humidity, I tell people one to three years. They usually kinda freak but that is real a fair estimate. I do very few decks. I kinda hate them. What and how do you tell your clients about the life of their deck stain?
Greg Mrakich is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 492
Thanked 8,613 Times in 4,010 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Same as you. If they have large dogs and heavy traffic, it could be less.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Three years tops. Any paint company that claims more years out of their product is full of it. And they won't pay on any warranty claims anyway. I'm sure there are probably painting contractors that are just quoting what those paint companies say though, because they aren't liable for the product longevity either. Any reputable paint store will back you up on this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 132
Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,796 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I tell people to seal it every other year. No one does that though.

With all the reformulations though, I am about to say no to decks period.

I just looked at a deck we did with the Benjamin Moore semi-transparent hardwood stain. We did the whole deck in 2009, horizontals only in 2012, and it is up this year for a coat on everything. It is looking really good right now. But, the Benjamin Moore product is discontinued, TWP does not have a similar color to the teak color we used.

Cabot Australian Timber Oil has a teak and a mahogany that we should be able to used to get a similar color if needed between the two, but I have no experience with that product.

ArborCoat 623 is the recommended product from BM, but I just do not trust that product on decks yet. Does anyone here?
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
very senior member

Rewards Points: 52
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
I tell people to seal it every other year. No one does that though.

With all the reformulations though, I am about to say no to decks period.

I just looked at a deck we did with the Benjamin Moore semi-transparent hardwood stain. We did the whole deck in 2009, horizontals only in 2012, and it is up this year for a coat on everything. It is looking really good right now. But, the Benjamin Moore product is discontinued, TWP does not have a similar color to the teak color we used.

Cabot Australian Timber Oil has a teak and a mahogany that we should be able to used to get a similar color if needed between the two, but I have no experience with that product.

ArborCoat 623 is the recommended product from BM, but I just do not trust that product on decks yet. Does anyone here?
I did that a couple years ago, it's just not worth the hassle to me.
Toolnut (06-02-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

+1 on buh bye to decks. Not worth the hassle and you can't charge enough. I still do some old customers but even them I am telling this will be the last round. I have a $2000 deck minimum and the rate of incidence on decks (where we have to go back to address an issue of dead plants, stripped capping, etc) is 10x that of anything else I do.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
PACman (05-30-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,392
View Boco's Photo Album My Photos

I have been doing a few failed and small restore and deckover jobs. Comes off real easy then I topcoat with solid body flood. For semi the only thing I use and can get is penetrating oil. 2 years tops but it looks great and is easy to remove and re apply Just no such thing as a maintenance free deck. Don't even get me started on the Trexx.
Boco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boco For This Useful Post:
PACman (05-30-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

I still do decks just really selective about the ones we do. I have one scheduled tomorrow that I cleaned last week. 800 sq of pressure treated with no rails and eight pieces of teak furniture for $1200. Not a bad Saturday for me working alone.

This is year three of this dock revive torture test pretty much sitting on the ground. We mixed with duration satin. 0 paint failure, only places that fell victim to the weed eater. It was completely clean when it was applied, I stripped and neutralized it prior.

Its filthy in this pic but cleaned up nice with a light sh wash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 234
View ElegantPainting's Photo Album My Photos

1-4 years depending on maintenance, traffic, UV exposure, and pets.
ElegantPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:26 AM   #10
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 132
Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,796 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
I still do decks just really selective about the ones we do. I have one scheduled tomorrow that I cleaned last week. 800 sq of pressure treated with no rails and eight pieces of teak furniture for $1200. Not a bad Saturday for me working alone.

This is year three of this dock revive torture test pretty much sitting on the ground. We mixed with duration satin. 0 paint failure, only places that fell victim to the weed eater. It was completely clean when it was applied, I stripped and neutralized it prior.

Its filthy in this pic but cleaned up nice with a light sh wash.

Does this deck get covered in snow and stay wet from sometime in November/December until some time in March or April each year?
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:58 AM   #11
Troy

Rewards Points: 134
Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,122 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default Life span of stain on a deck

I've been on a deck rampage the last year, trying to see what my new pressure washer can do when coupled with the right chems. PowerSolve DSI, (downstream stripper injectable), is pretty amazing stuff. Most of the decks I do are return customers though. It's just not possible to charge enough, often times, to make it worth the potential headaches.

Stripping a waxy or acrylic stain is a lot like stripping wallpaper...ya never really know how easy/hard it's gonna be til you dig in to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
PACman (05-30-2015), PressurePros (05-30-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 02:37 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,048
Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,329 Posts
View benthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

With the Aussie climate I won't touch decks no way

Our climate smashes them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
benthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:47 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 286
Thanked 1,024 Times in 634 Posts
View I paint paint's Photo Album My Photos

Is it common for other painters in your neck of the woods to apply deck finishes, or are most decks left bare?

What types of lumber/composites are typically used there in your part of Australia?
I paint paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
+1 on buh bye to decks. Not worth the hassle and you can't charge enough. I still do some old customers but even them I am telling this will be the last round. I have a $2000 deck minimum and the rate of incidence on decks (where we have to go back to address an issue of dead plants, stripped capping, etc) is 10x that of anything else I do.
I would say that deck staining customers themselves are the biggest victims of the blow and go mentality. But so many paint retailers are marketing their products to this market that everyone that does decks correctly is going to have a hard time getting deck jobs if they bid them so they can make a dime on them. It is the major part of the paint industry were the instant gratification school of thought is and has caused some major problems. I have a hard time selling deck stains because my products are of a much higher quality and therefore much higher priced than the box store stains, and I always tell my customers the truth about things like surface prep and finish maintenance. Usually they don't want any part of it or they flat out don't believe me because of what they are hearing from hack deck finishers and hack sale people. They act like I am the one trying to rip them off, and I'm sure some of you get the same reaction when you give your bids.

I say, let the deck stain fail. 3-4 times if people are that stupid. Let them pay out the nose to get a new deck built every 10 years. I'm not going to change my approach or pricing to compete with the TRUE rip off retailers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (05-30-2015), PressurePros (05-30-2015), Schmidt & Co. (05-30-2015), SemiproJohn (05-30-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthepainter View Post
With the Aussie climate I won't touch decks no way

Our climate smashes them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean you don't use the fantastic Cabots Australian Timber oil products? I thought that was all you used down under. I thought they lasted for ever and ever.lol

Old 05-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #16

I would think the best deck material for Australia would be similar to what they used in the high desert of California. Dirt. Once a year it rained and it cleaned up real nice.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Does this deck get covered in snow and stay wet from sometime in November/December until some time in March or April each year?
We don't get but a few inches of snow a year. It is in a pretty wet location though.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 286
Thanked 1,024 Times in 634 Posts
View I paint paint's Photo Album My Photos

The decks that are on the north face of a house. That have a huge tree(s) overhead. Canopies so thick that never a ray of sunlight reaches the surface, but all the wet blossoms and leaves do as they drop.

Do they make a good deep base solid stain for these clients, available in algae green or mildew black?
I paint paint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None