Liquid Mask in Northern Climate - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,002
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,196 Posts
View Paint and Hammer's Photo Album My Photos
Default Liquid Mask in Northern Climate

Anyone have first hand experience with liquid mask in cold northern climates? (Canada) I know Aaron uses it a lot, but he's freakin' surrounded by palm trees.

I'd like to know how it performs as a long term primer up here?

NOT a popular product. I bought a gallon at SW. (they only had one gallon) Rep says its not a big seller. (probably price)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

What do you mean "long term"? I've never seen it used exterior if that's what you mean. I'm sure people do it, I just don't remember ever hearing about it.

Is good stuff when used properly. The cost can really be offset with the speed. Mainly on French doors is where I see it used the most.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

We primarily use outside,but I'm not sure why you are using it as a primer???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 508
View TheRogueBristle's Photo Album My Photos

Even If I have French doors I never spray it-- I just dont want to use it as on the entire surface as a primer. Not that I've had bad experiences with it on bare wood, but I just don't trust it as a primer. I usually brush it thick in one coat on the panes, wiping any globs that might get onto the muntins with a dry cloth. Then I'm free to spray prime and two coats.

I've never tried usin git outdoors in cold temperatures. I guess I would be glad to know if it works well as a primer on bare wood. It could change how I use the product.
Paint and Hammer (02-14-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
View JoseyWales's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueBristle View Post
Even If I have French doors I never spray it-- I just dont want to use it as on the entire surface as a primer. Not that I've had bad experiences with it on bare wood, but I just don't trust it as a primer. I usually brush it thick in one coat on the panes, wiping any globs that might get onto the muntins with a dry cloth. Then I'm free to spray prime and two coats.

I've never tried usin git outdoors in cold temperatures. I guess I would be glad to know if it works well as a primer on bare wood. It could change how I use the product.
Most french doors are already primed..Many have plastic already on the glass.You need to give the GC crap for buying un-primed french doors.. haha
JoseyWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,002
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,196 Posts
View Paint and Hammer's Photo Album My Photos

Yes, long term, yes out doors. (in appropriate temps of course)

Older Craftsman style homes with lots of rails in the windows.

Not using it as a 'primer' per say anywhere other than its intended purpose (windows), but it would be the first layer after the rails have been scraped and sanded.

...and that's my question. Its says its formulated to be applied to bare wood. (not if a stain is intended)

Just curious if its priming qualities.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
View JoseyWales's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint and Hammer View Post
Yes, long term, yes out doors. (in appropriate temps of course)

Older Craftsman style homes with lots of rails in the windows.

Not using it as a 'primer' per say anywhere other than its intended purpose (windows), but it would be the first layer after the rails have been scraped and sanded.

...and that's my question. Its says its formulated to be applied to bare wood. (not if a stain is intended)

Just curious if its priming qualities.
Just give it a light sand with a sponge before spraying the window if you're worried about the priming qualities....I usually spot prime with a good acrylic primer first on the bare wood before using the liquid mask on the windows.I'm not really into new construction,but I usually just brush the stain on new wood intead of spraying.

Liquid mask is used if you have to spray out a whole house.
JoseyWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 264
View Ace Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Used it years ago, had problems removing it. I love the 3M maskers.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75
View vandy's Photo Album My Photos

used it to do a bunch windows here in Chicagoland area. Most of this was done around Thanksgiving and it was cold outside.
Of course, we were using it inside and didn't have any issues. As advertised.
vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vandy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 396
View Veith@toast.net's Photo Album My Photos

As I remember it works best on the removal end in the shade. Where if it was in sun /hot it could be a bear. I have used it once on a repaint work great. Still looks great the last time I drive by it at 35mph
David

Veith@toast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

Tags
None