Looking for Advice re: Asbestos Tiled Home - Needs Paint! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
View rkearns10's Photo Album My Photos
Default Looking for Advice re: Asbestos Tiled Home - Needs Paint!

Hi Everyone,

I hope this post finds you all well. - The reason I'm reaching out is that I'll be painting my parents home here in a few weeks and am seeking some guidance/recommendations regarding their siding material. I'm not sure as to the specific name for this stuff, but I do know that it is very old asbestos shingle. I've attached some pictures to better depict what I'm dealing with, but for the most part they are intact and clean, aside from some areas with a mild degradation of the exterior paint and some spider crap/gunk.

I'm aware that this stuff is fairly easy when it comes to taking paint, and this is great considering I'd rather not disturb the tile by removing it, nor want to undergo the massive safety project it might require to remove asbestos tile.

So, my few questions are as follows:

1) Regrading prep: I've seen a few recommendations tossed around... some say pressure washer on the lowest setting, others say a long scrub brush with some green soap cleaner... any thoughts here? Is it necessary to hit every inch of shingle coverage, or simply just the areas that look dirty? I take it there's no real scraping to be done to the shingles themselves either?

2) Re: Priming.... I've also seen recommendations out there for both priming and NOT to prime given the nature of the material taking a good coat. - I would assume not priming is risky, but just wanted to hear everyone out on this front as well.

3) I've read that acrylic based paint is the best finish here, is this correct?

Just looking for some insight by folks who've tackled a project like this before, with best results and speed in mind, as always!

Again, pictures below, and I really do appreciate any help whatsoever ya'll might offer. Thanks so much!!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Advice re: Asbestos Tiled Home - Needs Paint!-1.jpg  

Looking for Advice re: Asbestos Tiled Home - Needs Paint!-2.jpg  

Looking for Advice re: Asbestos Tiled Home - Needs Paint!-3.jpg  

Looking for Advice re: Asbestos Tiled Home - Needs Paint!-4.jpg  

Looking for Advice re: Asbestos Tiled Home - Needs Paint!-5.jpg  

Looking for Advice re: Asbestos Tiled Home - Needs Paint!-6.jpg  

Looking for Advice re: Asbestos Tiled Home - Needs Paint!-7.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 5,696
Thanked 15,407 Times in 8,082 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com .

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php .

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Groucho Marx
Closed Thread