Loosing a client mid project - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 1 Post By jennifertemple

Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos
Default Loosing a client mid project

Have you ever had a client/customer pass away during a project? How did you handle the balance of the job and payments?

It happened to my old painting company. It was about 2 years ago we were working in a gut/remodel job. The home owner asked everyone to take a week off so the heat guys could get the heat going and the place warmed up (Temps at the time were zero or below). 3 days into our week off I was reading the news paper and my jaw hit the floor. The husband passed away from a massive heart attack. Of course we reached out to the wife who blew off all of the contractors.

We tried and tried to get in contact with her but no reply, same with the other contractors. She did owe us money. We waited as long as we could (45 days) for her to reply in any sort which she didn't. About 3 months later we found out she up and left after her husband dies. We did get our check almost 8 months later. The house was never completed.

This is a tough situation to be in.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 24
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

That is a fear of mine as I work for a LOT of elderly customers. The closest I came to an "event" such as yours @Epoxy Pro, was when a client died suddenly about a week after I re-did some oak floors for her. Another uncomfortable scenario is when a client is diagnosed with cancer or another terrible disease and you feel awkward continuing work in their home as they are facing the fight of their lives.
Epoxy Pro likes this.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,170
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

If its a big job, Im sure theres a lien clause. If its a smaller job, I say just walk away and call it a loss.

I had a boss pass away that owed me money. I just wrote it off. One of our mutual friends actually asked me if I got paid for painting his garage, and I said no, and he paid me for it, even though he had paid my boss for it. This is when I was working for peanuts and it was all under the table though. I wasnt about to ask his widow for money....
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 235
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

I'm thinking that's just another good reason to get a deposit, plus progress payments throughout a project..

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
jennifertemple likes this.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,296
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

I'd figure that the survivors had enough on their plate with the death and the funeral that the work is the last thing on their mind. Consider the job most likely done and- with condolences- let them know you are free to finish up when they're ready.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 192
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

I would just send condolences. The death of a spouse is about the biggest nightmare a person can get! Contractors are the last thing on their mind and sending a bill to the newly deceased will look heartless. (The person receiving said bill is bound to think "what kind of monster is this? Have they no concept of decency?) One could try sending the bill to the executor of the estate, that is who is responsible for finalizing all accounts.
Gymschu likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."

Last edited by jennifertemple; 03-13-2019 at 11:08 PM..
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None