Loving the Kovrd Roller Tray Bags - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 08-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 800
View 804 Paint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Loving the Kovrd Roller Tray Bags

At first I thought they looked gimmicky, but I tried one and can't imagine going back to not using them.

First, they are great for organization. Every tray I have gets mated with one of these covers, so a tray, frame and a couple of sleeves gets stored in each one and they get stacked in the truck or the shelf. Time to roll? Grab a bag and your extension pole and you're ready to go.

Second, they are great for moving the tray around the room. They open up to a "mini drop" with a handle. I roll left to right so the tray goes on my left and I pull it around the room as I go. You don't have to worry about any paint that might have dripped down the side of your tray, etc.

Third, and the best part, they are great for storing a full pan of paint and wet roller + frame. The obvious is using them from day to day on a job still in the same color, but what's even better is when you constantly find yourself in the same paint (i.e. ceiling paint). I finished up a job last Monday and had ceilings to roll on another job later in the week. I zipped up the bag with ProMar400 Flat in a Big Ben tray with an 18" roller in it, and actually got to around to painting the ceilings on the next job much later than I expected: Saturday evening. I had never let the paint stay in the tray that long and was a little nervous, but everything in the tray was 100% wet, even the "let off ramp" or whatever you call it. No goobers whatsoever. Totally impressed.

I know most painters use garbage bags to store paint trays for the next day or the way home, but they almost always end up being messy and in the end wasteful. These retail at about $17 which is high so I wait for SW to have a sale on them and usually get them for around $11 or $12.

http://www.kovrd.com/products/
804 Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 804 Paint For This Useful Post:
The 3rd Coat (08-20-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks. I just watched the video. I'm gonna have to get a few.

Can you fit a Handy pail tray with no problems?

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah, I don't use trays all the time but when I do the Kords are great. I'm continually surprised at how well they seal and keep your rig wet, even with fast drying paints like Aura.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNt A PaInTeR View Post
Thanks. I just watched the video. I'm gonna have to get a few.

Can you fit a Handy pail tray with no problems?
Not sure which one you mean. It should fit any 9" tray I would think. I have a deeper 9" tray (not sure how makes it) and it fits well. Also fits the Wooster Big Ben 18" shallow trays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Yeah, I don't use trays all the time but when I do the Kords are great. I'm continually surprised at how well they seal and keep your rig wet, even with fast drying paints like Aura.
No kidding. I mean 5 days for a rig to stay wet is just ridiculous.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 804 Paint View Post

Not sure which one you mean.
This one here.
Attached Thumbnails
Loving the Kovrd Roller Tray Bags-forumrunner_20140819_150316.jpg  

|
|
|
|
|
Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNt A PaInTeR

This one here.

Yeah, same ones I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Loving the Kovrd Roller Tray Bags-image-3964271229.jpg  

Old 08-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Quote:
Yeah, same ones I use.
Yeah. And we both shop at H-E-B too.

|
|
|
|
|
Old 08-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
RH

Rewards Points: 7,108
Thanked 15,560 Times in 8,204 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Guys that use trays are such wimps.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH
Guys that use trays are such wimps.

It feels weird to me to use one, I was trained on a bucket. I gotta admit though, they do load the roller faster/better, and the coolness of the bags seals the deal a lot of times. No more wet rags, or trash off the screen. Just zip it up and don't worry about it.

I doubt if I'll ever convert totally, but definitely been digging the pans and bags lately.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 185
View Shakey0818's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds way expensive for 1 bag.If ya like a zipper so mush you could always use a suit bag when u buy a new suite.I use garbage bags and press them down tight in the pan to get rid of most of the air.when painting apartments i used to empty all the paint from the 18 in tray and add about 6 oz of water and just bag them.They would still be good to go in 6 months if stored in a cool dry place.

I wonder how many times u can use and wash/scrub ddry paint out of them before u need a new one.Seems like a great idea but IMO it is way over priced.
Shakey0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #11

I haven't seen the need to scrub dry paint out of them. They seem to be like the spray plastic for multiple coats, the dried paint doesn't flake off like you might think. Some of ours are pretty splattered up inside, and its not a problem so far.

It is kinda like paying twenty bucks for a garbage bag, but there cool. Looks a little spiffier on site too. For some reason they make me feel a little less cheesy for even using a pan
Old 08-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey0818 View Post
Sounds way expensive for 1 bag.If ya like a zipper so mush you could always use a suit bag when u buy a new suite.I use garbage bags and press them down tight in the pan to get rid of most of the air.when painting apartments i used to empty all the paint from the 18 in tray and add about 6 oz of water and just bag them.They would still be good to go in 6 months if stored in a cool dry place.

I wonder how many times u can use and wash/scrub ddry paint out of them before u need a new one.Seems like a great idea but IMO it is way over priced.

It's more about it becoming part of a system that works for the type of work you do. It's storage for my rigs when dry or wet. Everything is together right when I need it. Pull it out, dump paint in, use to pull rig around the room, even off the drops. Done for the day? Zip it up and put it in the corner of the room. No time wasted getting a garbage bag out. And the next day instead if dealing with a messy garbage bag and a tray that probably has paint on the bottom of it now, you just unzip and are right back in it. Done with the job and can't get out of the paint on site? Same thing. Zip it up, stack it in the truck and get to it when you can.

The bags are built well and can be had for $12. They last as long as you take care of them.

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com
The Following User Says Thank You to 804 Paint For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #13

The pulling it around the room thing is a big deal for me. One thing I have always hated about pans in the awkward mobility. I want my paint right there all the time, and it takes two hands to pick up a pan and move it.

There are other ways to move a pan easily I'm sure, but sliding them around on those slick bags works pretty good.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #14
Dry as Rye

Rewards Points: 340
View Csheils's Photo Album My Photos

I do not see the benefit of this product for myself.

For those who are adamant in boxing and straining their paints, I do not see this as beneficial, nor consistent with the claims of the benefits of uniformity in finish or adding to productivity. How can you allow your paints to sit "airtight" overnight, without re shaking, but worry about straining and boxing all of your material?

I sweep my trays back into the gallon, and wrap my sleeves in plastic. To each their own, but a uniform approach to every day generates productivity. I prefer not to add to my overhead when I don't need to.

Csheils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csheils
I do not see the benefit of this product for myself.

For those who are adamant in boxing and straining their paints, I do not see this as beneficial, nor consistent with the claims of the benefits of uniformity in finish or adding to productivity. How can you allow your paints to sit "airtight" overnight, without re shaking, but worry about straining and boxing all of your material?

I sweep my trays back into the gallon, and wrap my sleeves in plastic. To each their own, but a uniform approach to every day generates productivity. I prefer not to add to my overhead when I don't need to.

Because boxing all your material at the beginning allows you to compartmentalize your paint into different locations, such as in a bucket or a tray, and not have to worry about those being different later on. Stir each individual compartment and they will all be uniform. You only have to box paint once, and hopefully only strain once if your pot discipline is good.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but that doesn't make sense.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #16
Dry as Rye

Spraying v rolling, perhaps?

Old 08-20-2014, 01:06 AM   #17
Dry as Rye

Quote:
Because boxing all your material at the beginning allows you to compartmentalize your paint into different locations, such as in a bucket or a tray, and not have to worry about those being different later on. Stir each individual compartment and they will all be uniform. You only have to box paint once, and hopefully only strain once if your pot discipline is good.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but that doesn't make sense.

Make sense of it for me, Jmays.

I am not understanding the benefit of stirring a tray when I can shake a gallon.

Tags
None