Low rent apartmentcomplex painting. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-29-2015, 04:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View Hayward's Photo Album My Photos
Default Low rent apartmentcomplex painting.

Hi guys I'm from rockford,il. I have been slacking on getting my own online sales business started, so i've been painting apartments with a friend who has had a contract for 20 years at a apartment complex with 1200 apartments.

It's all all one and two bedrooms that rent for $550-650 month, he has to buy the paint, they pay him a flat rate. I make $10/hr on a check, this painting is all one color, just semi-gloss trim and bathroom.

Is $10/hr fair or should a contracter basically spilt the wage with you if work side by side with him?(this is no high tech gig, just roller and brush)

I have been doing this very undesirable job for two years with 0 perks.I do not know eaxactly how much they pay and what the split is.

Last edited by Hayward; 12-29-2015 at 04:33 AM..
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Pay is hard to determine. Your friend is the boss you are a helper so no you should not be splitting the money unless you become partners. Most painters wont offer much more than a job and [paycheck.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-29-2015), Gough (12-29-2015), lilpaintchic (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Hi guys I'm from rockford,il. I have been slacking on getting my own online sales business started, so i've been painting apartments with a friend who has had a contract for 20 years at a apartment complex with 1200 apartments.

It's all all one and two bedrooms that rent for $550-650 month, he has to buy the paint, they pay him a flat rate. I make $10/hr on a check, this painting is all one color, just semi-gloss trim and bathroom.

Is $10/hr fair or should a contracter basically spilt the wage with you if work side by side with him?(this is no high tech gig, just roller and brush)

I have been doing this very undesirable job for two years with 0 perks.I do not know eaxactly how much they pay and what the split is.
Is this actual wages, or is he paying you as an "independent subcontractor"? If it's the latter, your self-employment tax would be 15.3%. That would make your net $8.47. If he's actually paying you as an employee, then he has more costs to consider: bookkeeping, w/c insurance, etc. How these are all handled has a big impact on your argument that you should "split" the income per unit.

Last edited by Gough; 12-29-2015 at 06:59 AM..
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-29-2015), Gymschu (12-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

Fair is what ever you and the guy agreed on your rate would be. There is no way your share should be = to his. He is the one that found the job, does all the book work, and has to answer to the costumer when things don't go right. Are you prepared to pay him for jobs that lose money, pay for equipment needed for running the company or pay him for the behind the scene work that is involve with running a company he does when everyone else goes home? He takes all the risks therefor his rate of pay should be higher then his employees.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gracobucks For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-29-2015), Gough (12-29-2015), lilpaintchic (12-29-2015), PACman (12-29-2015), PressurePros (12-29-2015), SemiproJohn (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 42
Thanked 1,066 Times in 595 Posts
View driftweed's Photo Album My Photos

I'm from your area. Yes that's fair for an apartment painter. Max is $15/hr. Good luck finding that though.
driftweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 764
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos

Like has been said, fair is what you agreed to. If you don't like it, you can go flip burgers for about the same amount of money. Pay is what you can get, not what you deserve. If you feel you should be paid more, ask him if he can pay you more. If he says 'no,' you either suck it up or move on if you think there's greener pastures.

But unless you're taking the same risks he is, and paying for the products or equipment that's being used, no way in hell you deserve a 50/50 profit split. That's not to say a profit share wouldn't be fair, but you'd be looking at a *much* smaller percent. And keep in mind if you do a profit share and the job goes pear-shaped, you might just not get paid for it. So think carefully before you agree to that.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrakeB For This Useful Post:
Gracobucks (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

You got to use your current job as a stepping stone to ur next
Move on and up
Myself. I've never bothered to say 'good bye ' much less try and negotiate. It's blind poker as far as I'm concerned.
You find a better gig and take it. Simple.
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat........
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
Hayward (01-02-2016)
Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Let's just put things in perspective.. let's say you own an online business. Selling coffee mugs, let's say.
You're working on all sorts of stuff to be able to sell these mugs and you have a lot of orders to fill so you hire someone to help fill orders. Their job is to wrap mugs, box them and put the prepaid postage sticker on them and give it to the mail man.
Each mug costs $10. Shipped.
So you think the guy who gets paid to wrap the mugs gets $5 for each mug he wraps?
Sure, no problem! And that is how a business folds in under and hour....

Last edited by lilpaintchic; 12-29-2015 at 07:58 PM..
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 24
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

If you're making $10 an hour painting low end apartments with rents that low, count yourself lucky. If you're not liking it, move on to something you do like.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 764
View goga's Photo Album My Photos

Two years of no desire is a bit much for nervous system of oneself. Is there an alternative of income besides this one? If not, it makes no difference what we think, want or wish for. It is a paycheck, food, close and gas to move around. If we need it, we have to work for it, can someone get better pay and more desirable work atmosphere, yes, yet have to work on skill set and attitude towards those who pays the wages and keeps ones living going.. even at the minimum, it is still living.
goga is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goga For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 07:37 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 388
View Scannell Painting's Photo Album My Photos

You need to move on to a better job at painting. You have probably already learned too many quick, sloppy tricks to get into paying work. Get in with a high end contractor, learn the trade & work your way up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scannell Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scannell Painting For This Useful Post:
Hayward (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4
View Hayward's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
Like has been said, fair is what you agreed to. If you don't like it, you can go flip burgers for about the same amount of money. Pay is what you can get, not what you deserve. If you feel you should be paid more, ask him if he can pay you more. If he says 'no,' you either suck it up or move on if you think there's greener pastures.

But unless you're taking the same risks he is, and paying for the products or equipment that's being used, no way in hell you deserve a 50/50 profit split. That's not to say a profit share wouldn't be fair, but you'd be looking at a *much* smaller percent. And keep in mind if you do a profit share and the job goes pear-shaped, you might just not get paid for it. So think carefully before you agree to that.
Well the thing is there is very little money spent on equipment, I'd say the taxes he pays for business are equal to what i pay in taxes(percent) I know he pays like 6K a year for insurance. Personally If i didn't want to work 80 hours a week and could keep up with demand by employing someone 40 hours a week i'd be more generous. I understand if someone has a carpet cleaning biz with exspensive equipment or lawncare with exspensive uquipment of even paining with a company van,ladders,etc, this is just showing up with a 5 gallon bucket of paint and a few tarps. Basically $10/hour is fair for a simple job but basically should exspect a high turn around at that rate, i can't believe i'm still doing this actually.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 44
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos

If the online sales thing is your true passion then you need to be working evenings and weekends to get it up and running. Paint 40hrs to keep the bills paid and hopefully the sales will slowly start to pick up where (eventually/maybe) it could be good full-time money.

The trades--any job really--can feel like you're in a rut most of the time. I'm no life coach, but I do know that you need to find a way to enjoy life everyday--regardless of vocation or wage.

If you're still young and not too tied down--consider completely hitting the reset button on life. I was blessed to get a great job with the fire dept. at 19 years old, but kinda wish I could have been in the Navy or other branch of service first. $10 an hour is a looong road--especially if you don't see it going anywhere else soon. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
radio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to radio11 For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (01-04-2016), lilpaintchic (01-03-2016), PRC (01-03-2016)

Tags
None