MDF Cabinet Painting - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By cocomonkeynuts

Old 11-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
View Rvidallon757's Photo Album My Photos
Default MDF Cabinet Painting

Usually I pass on all MDF cabinetry jobs, just because I am never happy with the end results.
Recently I took on a new cabinetry project for a repeating client that consists of all brand-new MDF doors. My client asked me if they should have used a different material which I didn't want to answer directly because you can tell she wanted validation for her poor choice in material used.

So my question is what can be used besides lacquer (solvent - PPG Speedline)primer that won't raise the wood grain? Client has a condition like COPD and cannot be around such High VOC levels.

I have read BIN shellac primer can be used or it was suggested Sherwin Williams a product which is Sherwood waterborne lacquer?

Also I know of some old school other tricks that can be used but I much not rather skim out cabinets in Bondo, or a 50\50 of wood glue and water.

If anyone has any suggestion or have used SW (Emulsion) waterborne lacquer. please let me know.
There is nothing worse seeing Cabinetry that was done incorrectly. Painters in my area either run from it or destroy cabinetry jobs and half of all my google reviews are clients thinking me for fixing there cabinets or I should say saving!

Rick Vidallon
Southern Innovations Custom Painting
SIpainting.Net
Rvidallon757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 242
View canopainting's Photo Album My Photos

The SW Sherwood coating is probably Kem-Aqua plus, I think the sanding KA sanding sealer is fine, it sands out great, You could even probably shoot a second coat of sealer before two top coats of KA. Ive used it a few times with great results.
canopainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,672
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Raw or primed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvidallon757 View Post
Usually I pass on all MDF cabinetry jobs, just because I am never happy with the end results.
Recently I took on a new cabinetry project for a repeating client that consists of all brand-new MDF doors. My client asked me if they should have used a different material which I didn't want to answer directly because you can tell she wanted validation for her poor choice in material used.

So my question is what can be used besides lacquer (solvent - PPG Speedline)primer that won't raise the wood grain? Client has a condition like COPD and cannot be around such High VOC levels.

I have read BIN shellac primer can be used or it was suggested Sherwin Williams a product which is Sherwood waterborne lacquer?

Also I know of some old school other tricks that can be used but I much not rather skim out cabinets in Bondo, or a 50\50 of wood glue and water.

If anyone has any suggestion or have used SW (Emulsion) waterborne lacquer. please let me know.
There is nothing worse seeing Cabinetry that was done incorrectly. Painters in my area either run from it or destroy cabinetry jobs and half of all my google reviews are clients thinking me for fixing there cabinets or I should say saving!

Rick Vidallon
SIpainting.Net
Is the MDF raw or primed?

futtyos
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
PPD
Girl Boss

Rewards Points: 114
View PPD's Photo Album My Photos

Youíll need to stay far away from the BIN shellac if ur client canít be around strong fumes...thatíll chase anyone out of the house.

I always consider which high build primer to use since MDF has a habit of soaking up primer causing flashing in the paint finish.

Iím working on some MDF panels now & coconut recommended 1wb.200 primer which is a high build fast drying primer. Picked some up & its been fantastic! I will say I always de nib tho...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Perfectly Painted Designs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Diego, CA
PPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,182
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvidallon757 View Post

Rick Vidallon
SIpainting.Net
Lenmar 1WB.200 waterborne undercoater+ cabinet coat.

That undercoater powders up like a dream and doesn't raise the mdf grain much. Cabinet coat sprays great, durable and fast cure.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 11-18-2019 at 09:14 PM..
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
PPD
Girl Boss

Default MDF Cabinet Painting

See- told ya coco had the rec

San Diego, CA
Old 11-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
PPD
Girl Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post

That undercoater powders up like a dream and doesn't raise the mdf grain much. Cabinet coat sprays great, durable and fast cure.

I JUST realized Iíve been putting the 1st & last part of ur UN together & referring to u as coconut...

San Diego, CA
Old 11-26-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
Painting & More

Rewards Points: 576
View A+HomeWork's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post

Who sells these two products?

I'm in a very small market with a couple of choices, but can pick stuff up in nearby OKC.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,182
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+HomeWork View Post
Who sells these two products?

I'm in a very small market with a couple of choices, but can pick stuff up in nearby OKC.

Thanks!

Lenmar and Inslx are BenjaminMoore products. Any BM dealer can order them for you if they don't already stock them.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None