Medical cabinets - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Medical cabinets

Got an odd call today to refinish some medical cabinets and book cases. Metal, don't have any real details as of yet other than what they are.

Called the SW rep and he said oil.. Okay but what type we talking here? DTM or some type of acrylic.. or an epoxy? He really didn't have any real solid answers for me. He said, of course, it depends on what they are wanting to do with them. I had already told him they will be using for storing product on, as in bagged items, no chemicals just some supplies they sale on a medical supply website.

Anyone have the foggiest on what to use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,800 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Depends on the current coating. If solvent based, I would probably to an oil DTM if waterborne, then an acrylic DTM.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
nEighter (06-29-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Call an industrial paint store - they'll probably know what would work best for metal cabs/shelving.

I've never done them myself so I have no idea - but my first call would be to an industrial paint supplier.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #4

Was what I was thinking, or along those lines.. and if it is rusted any then using some ChemChromic or the like to reverse the rust. I am getting pics and dimensions tomorrow. Will update the thread then.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
Call an industrial paint store - they'll probably know what would work best for metal cabs/shelving.

I've never done them myself so I have no idea - but my first call would be to an industrial paint supplier.

Thought SW would know, but I didn't talk to an industrial rep. I have all the tools (compressor, D/A sanders, HVLP's) for metal work on site. I think it would be a cool little project.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEighter View Post
Was what I was thinking, or along those lines.. and if it is rusted any then using some ChemChromic or the like to reverse the rust. I am getting pics and dimensions tomorrow. Will update the thread then.

*KEM KROMIC

wouldn't want NEPS catching on to that spelling error! He about shredded Klaw up for it in the past!!!!

phew, that was close!
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Why is this in the zone? I think we have several reps in the open part that would be glad to help.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #8

dunno.. guess I accidentally made the thread under this.. you can move it if you would like RCP.. sorry

Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Myself I would probably spray them with an industrial enamel.
If you were wanting to stay in a WB a DTM.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
nEighter (06-30-2010)
Old 06-30-2010, 01:05 AM   #10

I will have to check on it. I need to call the Industrial Rep tomorrow and see. I will let you guys know what they recommend.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 152
View mblosik's Photo Album My Photos

Kem Kromik is great for rusting metal.....but it must dry for at least 16 hours before applying topcoat. if smell is not an issue, macropoxy 646 is some pretty nasty, tough sh!t!
nEighter (06-30-2010)
Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Myself I would probably spray them with an industrial enamel.
If you were wanting to stay in a WB a DTM.
HVLP or reg pump?

Old 06-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEighter View Post
HVLP or reg pump?
I just use an airless these days I have a graco 3800 or 4800 hvlp that I have not used in a couple years. If I were using an hvlp I would want to have a pot tank for it otherwise you know how it is spraying the undersides.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
nEighter (06-30-2010)

Tags
None