Metal Roof - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
Paint Nerd

Rewards Points: 250
View michfan's Photo Album My Photos
Default Metal Roof

Anyone have much experience painting metals roofs? I have a rather large barn roof that a customer wants us to bid. Also, they have a grain bin as well. I have easy access to a SW store, so that is more than likely what brand I would use. I need some recommended proven products to try. The roof does have a decent amount of rust, so it will need some prep and then probably one coat of primer and two coats of finish. I just figured some of you guys on here have more experience in the industrial area than I do. Residential is my expertise!
michfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75
View jr.painting's Photo Album My Photos

I would use Bond Plex. That is some good paint and works very well. Just my opinion though.
jr.painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
View oakley's Photo Album My Photos

If you talk to manufacturers reps, they generally try to over-engineer roof systems due to the beating they take. I have seen people use acrylics over an oil primer, linseed-oil based paint over oil primer, and cheap fibered aluminum coatings. You may see 2-4 years out of these systems. The last roof I was involved in was 2 coats of general purpose epoxy and a finish coat of aliphatic urethane. While it costs probably 5 times as much (minimum), some manufacturers will say it will last 12-15 years.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Out here in farm country we wire brush to remove loose rust and apply Insl-X Rust Arrestor. You can then apply your prefered latex top coat. Yes I have used it on my own tin roof, my neighbors and a 10,000 sq ft comercial job. (we did rusted bolt heads and any rust spots on the metal siding) It works. Here's a link.

http://www.nextag.com/INSLX-IN11971-...83/prices-html

Benjamin Moore owns Coronado Paints which owns Insl-X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (08-27-2012)
Old 09-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
Out here in farm country we wire brush to remove loose rust and apply Insl-X Rust Arrestor. You can then apply your prefered latex top coat. Yes I have used it on my own tin roof, my neighbors and a 10,000 sq ft comercial job. (we did rusted bolt heads and any rust spots on the metal siding) It works. Here's a link.

http://www.nextag.com/INSLX-IN11971-...83/prices-html

Benjamin Moore owns Coronado Paints which owns Insl-X
BM has a rust converter also which comes in a gallon jug kind of.. I use it with somewhat good results.

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

You know, metal roofs are not that hard to replace. It may be cheaper to replace it. Won't put money in your pocket though.

Mak, I'd bet it is the same thing, since they own Insl-x

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75
View cullybear's Photo Album My Photos
Default aluminum paint

SW has a good aluminum paint that we use on barn roofs here in Iowa,it lasts a long time and is not real expensive
cullybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #8

View spectrum's Photo Album My Photos
Default Paul from Spectrum

I agree with Oakley. We have done many standing seam metal roofs in the Aidrondack Mountains that are now pushing 15 years and look great.
  • Wet sand blast
  • One coat SW Recoatable Catylyzed Epoxy primer
  • Two coats Catylyzed Aliphatic Urethane (Corothane)
Your customer will love everything about this roof finish except the cost.

We just completed a roof using elastomerics, not real sharp and shiney looking, but a great system for barns and silos. Lower cost .
  • Wet sandblast to remove most rust, especially scale.
  • One coat Kem Bond or Opti Bond or Recoatable Epoxy primer.
  • Two coats Uniflex (available through SW, also called Kool Roof)
Using a teather and chicken ladders, or better yet, work out of the bucket truck.
spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10
View pintex's Photo Album My Photos

Silver brite by sherwin.
pintex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

I would def talk to a rep about this. But maybe not an SW rep, a PPG rep maybe. Lot of rusty roofs around here. Do you use the waterblasting (pw hooked up to a bucket of sand) method or something fancier to prep it? How do you paint it? Spray or roll?
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #11

View spectrum's Photo Album My Photos
Default Paul from Spectrum

We use a simple bucket of sharp sand and a 4000 PSI Simpson Water Shotgun. This does a real nice job, very fast and NO dust or chemicals, just water and sand.

We always spray our finishes on metal roofs. Not only is it faster, but you end up with a uniformly applied DFT, and no unsightly brush and roller marks.
spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #12

View ricaroofers's Photo Album My Photos

If the roof has some amount of rust, then you might really need to apply a primer and some finishing layer to restore the roofing. You might need to apply something about the leakage if there is.
ricaroofers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 154
View optimal's Photo Album My Photos

I would go with Pro-Cryl Universal Primer from SW. It is a rust inhibitive and designed for both construction and maintenance applications. It is used as a primer under water based or solvent based high performance top coats. It is priced high but it is a product that will get the job done. I use this product on commercial jobs and i have never onced had to go for a call back as long as you prep rite.
optimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
Paint Nerd

Rewards Points: 250
View michfan's Photo Album My Photos

Just a heads up here. You might wanna check the date of the OP before you post
michfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to michfan For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (02-09-2010)
Old 02-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintex View Post
Silver brite by sherwin.
^This I have sprayed thousands of gallons of it, and it holds up well. For the house I may would use something different, but industrial farm I would go with silver brite every time.
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #16

View ecenur's Photo Album My Photos

I would go with SW to paint a metal roof. And I would definitely paint with spray and not roll just because, it leaves a nice clean surface, looks way better which makes satisfied customers .
ecenur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenur View Post
I would go with SW to paint a metal roof. And I would definitely paint with spray and not roll just because, it leaves a nice clean surface, looks way better which makes satisfied customers .

I know its an old post but, really? =^=

I dont think the store has that many spray cans.

I got nothin' else....
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 500
View caulktheline's Photo Album My Photos

caulktheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
You know, metal roofs are not that hard to replace. It may be cheaper to replace it. Won't put money in your pocket though.

Mak, I'd bet it is the same thing, since they own Insl-x
Very true bikerboy.I had sw. rep come and look at a metal roof that needed plenty of prep plus renailing in some areas and the price he quoted me just for mats. was alot more than brand new sheeting with a baked on finish?Go figure!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 500
View MonPeintre.ca's Photo Album My Photos

I have experience with metal roof. We did one last year. Scraped the loose paint. PW with degreasser. Scraped some more loose paint. Sprayed devoe devflex (primer+2 coat).
Got a call this year from the client....the paint is peeling again.
I refunded 6k and told her she should sandblast or change the roof. The client was very impressed with my professionnalism.
So, no I dont have any good advice for you. Sorry....

Residential and commercial painters in Montreal
MonPeintre.ca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None