Moisture meter and Hardi-plank - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View PlantainPainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Moisture meter and Hardi-plank

Do you think a moisture meter gives an accurate reading on Hardi-plank (concrete board siding). I'm getting readings off the charts and the meter is no cheapie. 8 ft high of siding and the bottom 4 ft is easily past 20% reading. If you go up higher on the siding it still reads 18% maybe at best 14% at the top couple of rows. I'll still send Hardi an email but was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Hardi-plank?
PlantainPainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #2

View AALory's Photo Album My Photos

I never thought it mattered. That stuff is rated for 50 years below ground! As long you caulk all the joins and gaps and apply field coats of primer and acrylic paint, your work is bulletproof.
"Celebrate the Spirit of Craft"
AALory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #3

I wish that were the case. I have seen the paint bubble up on this job- the first 4 rows of clapboard up from the bottom. I took a putty knife (not even a 5-1) and it came right off (to the cement board). There is a major roof run off issue (this house - 14000 square foot roof and no gutters) The house has an 6 foot overhang but I don't think it is enough to combat the splash back. I think water it is getting behind the hardiplank and in the winter freezes and pushes out. Hardi uses valspar (it came pre-primed) which I was never a fan of plus house right on the MA coast and it gets brutalized by weather every year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #4

Morrisville- I went JSC and lived in Morrisville for a little while. The house right across from the entrance to the golf course. last time I drove by the bridge (to 15) was out is it still?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #5

View AALory's Photo Album My Photos

The bridge was replaced quickly with a rental. That's right...it is apparently cheaper for the state to rent a bridge than it is to suck it up and build their/our own.

One worry I have always had concerning the cement board products is the factory primer they sometimes come with. How can anyone determine the length of time that primer has been exposed and to what elements it has been exposed? I have recommended to every HO and GC to apply a field coat of primer and the necessary top coats in order to be sure the coatings will adhere properly.
If you think the issue is water working its way behind the siding, can you apply some caulking to any potential entry points? Be careful with scraping that stuff, those fibers are very bad for you. Good luck. Go Badgers.
"Celebrate the Spirit of Craft"
AALory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #6

View Boden Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AALory View Post

One worry I have always had concerning the cement board products is the factory primer they sometimes come with. How can anyone determine the length of time that primer has been exposed and to what elements it has been exposed? I have recommended to every HO and GC to apply a field coat of primer and the necessary top coats in order to be sure the coatings will adhere properly.
I've been using Pittsburgh Permacrete at the recommendation of my paint guy. When the company won't give you much detail about the mil thickness of the primer or even what kind they use it makes me worry. I've been told that the primer is only good for about 6 months from time of application, I can't verify though. The permacrete goes on well and is good to 35 degrees which is nice.
Boden Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,138
Thanked 1,033 Times in 462 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

InspectorTools Works on concrete surfaces.
NACE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None