Mud flaking off - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lightningboy65

Old 11-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18
View MrWink's Photo Album My Photos
Default Mud flaking off

Recently painted a home. Noticed while cutting in ceiling lines and inside corners, the mud was flaking off. The mud only flaked above the tape, leaving the tape exposed. Brush and work pot were a total mess. Luckily, the homeowner didn't want me to fix it.
Here's some history on home. Built 3 years ago. Was built during a Michigan winter. Flats and butt joints did not flake, only corners.
I have never experienced this before. I have always painted in the Southeast. My only guess is that temperature may have something to do with it?
MrWink is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 66
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Anyone's guess. I've seen GC's force drywall guys to do work in temps below zero and then fire up a kerosene turbo heater in hopes of it drying properly. I never had much confidence in painting over joints and seams finished in conditions like that. The only time I recall mud actually flaking off was when I was painting restaurants and the hot mud was literally still wet and the GC insisted that we paint over it to get the job done and the restaurant open.

At the ceiling level, it's always possible that the house if it's a truss built home, has lifting in the winter when the wood of the trusses shrinks a bit and then expands in the summer months with all the humidity. This can cause issues with the mud and tape wanting to pull off. Is the insulation in the house adequate? Could also be some moisture migration going on if the insulation was done poorly or inadequately for the region.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 958
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

I would be willing to bet all of the problems were on corners and wall ceiling interfaces that were adjacent to exterior walls. The butt joints don't seem to suffer as much, maybe because the mud is thinner and the more open areas get the heat better, IDK. Even when heated with space heaters these areas often will not be warm enough for adequate curing of the mud. It's my bet the mud froze at some point before curing. I have seen this happen more than once.
Fman and jennifertemple like this.

Last edited by Lightningboy65; 11-09-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None