My Paint Store - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 138
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos
Default My Paint Store

I recently have taken the reins to paint store and am in need of your help. My father is a contractor and he and i decided to open up a paint store in Georgia a couple of months ago. Any advice you as the professionals could give me to better my service and products? I know this question is market/area specifix but what works best for you. What vendors would you love to have in the store? O currently carry PPG (Silken touch, Pro master, vinyl Flat, Acri shield, acro pro and Permanzier) Along with the majority of the Benjamin Moore line. As for sundries I carry Wooster and crawfords top gun and also carry old masters stains.
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ElTacoPaco For This Useful Post:
PRC (12-19-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 204
View harmonicarocks's Photo Album My Photos

Here is a list of some of my favorites from my local Ben Moore dealer:

Beaver Creek rags
Affordable sanding sponges
Superior Sealants (White Lightning and Bolt)
Big Stretch Caulk
Good selection of mini-rollers including Whizz micro-fiber
3M tape
Lots of good advice
Old 12-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 764
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos

Big Stretch is from Sashco, they have several excellent caulk products.
I stock 3M and FrogTape and like them both (for different applications)
ProRoller is easy to work with, made in the US from US sourced materials, inexpensive, and my painters love them.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 286
Thanked 1,024 Times in 634 Posts
View I paint paint's Photo Album My Photos

I'd like it if my paint store carried more (or any) 12'', 14'' and 18'' roller sleeves.

Perhaps they don't because there is no market for them.

Nevertheless, I'd like options larger than the standard 9''.
I paint paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Troy

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Are you at all concerned about your lack of knowledge in this trade now that you have your own paint store? No disrespect, but a good paint store will have the answers that painters need, and judging by the amount and content of your questions in the last week, I'm curious how you'll handle this. What do you do when someone comes in and asks a question? You said you carry BM products, but asked a pretty basic question regarding the differences between 2 particular BM paints.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (12-18-2015), Wildbill7145 (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 162
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Condom's every paint store need's em...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 34
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Painting View Post
Condom's every paint store need's em...
In the 12", 14", and 18" sizes.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,440
Thanked 9,568 Times in 5,430 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I think i's great someone is interested in opening up a business. I suppose if you have a good business aptitude, it will carry you through, despite the little knowledge you have about products. Besides, all of your contractor customers will know more than you anyways.

I'd probably start by offering some popular brands without making huge commitments to manufacturing distribution. See what sells. Build relationships with your customers. And don't bash SW so much.

Good luck!
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (12-19-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I think i's great someone is interested in opening up a business. I suppose if you have a good business aptitude, it will carry you through, despite the little knowledge you have about products. Besides, all of your contractor customers will know more than you anyways.

I'd probably start by offering some popular brands without making huge commitments to manufacturing distribution. See what sells. Build relationships with your customers. And don't bash SW so much.

Good luck!
Ha! Haha!

Just let them bash you.

Most of the time it's the bullies' victims that gets in trouble first! Always the second guy in a football or hockey altercation too.

But seriously, learn from your good knowledgeable customers. You'll learn pretty quickly which ones they are.

Last edited by PACman; 12-19-2015 at 12:01 PM..
Old 12-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
RH

Rewards Points: 5,522
Thanked 15,391 Times in 8,070 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

As for caulk, Tower Tech II is my preferred. Great product IMO. Like the Elmer's wood putty and Seafin makes a good line of clear coat products. Wooster and Corona brushes, Super Fab (Wooster) sleeves, Werner ladders, Graco Sprayers, and Zip Wall Systems, are a few other quality products and lines that seem to be offerred in good stores.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
Are you at all concerned about your lack of knowledge in this trade now that you have your own paint store? No disrespect, but a good paint store will have the answers that painters need, and judging by the amount and content of your questions in the last week, I'm curious how you'll handle this. What do you do when someone comes in and asks a question? You said you carry BM products, but asked a pretty basic question regarding the differences between 2 particular BM paints.
I previously worked at SW for 4 years at a 50/50 Co tractor and DIY store so i know more about SW. Since my old store was not much commercial heavy I do admit I dont have that mich experience in that realm. But hey we all start of somewhere. At this moment I am trying to feel out the market and trying to drive more contrqctors on since I believe I have my DIY base established.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElTacoPaco For This Useful Post:
stelzerpaintinginc. (12-19-2015), The Cutting Edge (12-31-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #12

SW bashes our store frequently lol
Mainly because they did not like the fact that we sell BM and were threatend that we would stop buying from them.
Oh and they also pull the "you know you would be helping your opposition card" all the time on the bigger accounts and have let all the stores know in the area while also opening a SW storefront 5 miles away from me
So I am ready for the battle
The Following User Says Thank You to ElTacoPaco For This Useful Post:
PACman (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Also do you happen to know the difference between Ben and ultra Spec EXT? Raw materials? Pretty label? Cost? (Really similar) I am trying to decide wether to drop one since god knows how many skus I have and duplication of product will be my downfall
Old 12-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,004 Times in 641 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

I can't tell you specific chemical differences between US exterior and BEN exterior, but I have used a lot of both. If I owned a paint store, I'd carry US, skip BEN. It's good, but, I'd just stock Regal exterior. Save space.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kdpaint For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-19-2015), Fatnub (12-27-2015), I paint paint (12-19-2015), The Paint Lady (12-29-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoPaco View Post
Mainly because they did not like the fact that we sell BM and were threatend that we would stop buying from them.
Oh and they also pull the "you know you would be helping your opposition card" all the time on the bigger accounts and have let all the stores know in the area while also opening a SW storefront 5 miles away from me
They're a lot nastier then any of the painters realize. They were talking 5hit about me and my store and they didn't have a clue who I was and they have never been in my store. They just automatically start the 5hit talk when a new store starts up. I actually have had the local PPG store refer customers to me and visa versa. If I don't have something and can't get it, where do you think I am going to refer customers too? Not the store that talks 5hit that's for sure!

Old 12-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 764
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos

I don't sell US EXT right now, but a few things I've picked up just from talking to other dealers, customers, and just familiarizing myself with products:

Ben should have better color holdout
They're both listed under MPI category # 15 (http://www.specifypaint.com/APL/pain...r.asp?ID=15000)
Neither should be used on unprimed wood
Both are mildew resistant
Both are very low VOCs
Ultra Spec is higher solids content, should be a bit more durable and higher hiding
Recoat times are the same

But the best thing, like I said on the other forum, is to talk to your BM rep with this kind of question. That's what they're there for.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrakeB For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #17
Troy

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I previously worked at SW for 4 years at a 50/50 Co tractor and DIY store so i know more about SW. Since my old store was not much commercial heavy I do admit I dont have that mich experience in that realm. But hey we all start of somewhere. At this moment I am trying to feel out the market and trying to drive more contrqctors on since I believe I have my DIY base established.

My reply came off way more harsh than intended. I admire your zest for knowledge. Hope your business is a success.
The Following User Says Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,440
Thanked 9,568 Times in 5,430 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I don't get the sense you would spend a lot of time and energy bashing SW, despite having worked there for four years. Besides, it appeared to me that the store you're referring to was the one you worked at that sold both SW and BM products to DIY and contractors, or do I have that incorrect?
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
I don't sell US EXT right now, but a few things I've picked up just from talking to other dealers, customers, and just familiarizing myself with products:

Ben should have better color holdout
They're both listed under MPI category # 15 (http://www.specifypaint.com/APL/pain...r.asp?ID=15000)
Neither should be used on unprimed wood
Both are mildew resistant
Both are very low VOCs
Ultra Spec is higher solids content, should be a bit more durable and higher hiding
Recoat times are the same

But the best thing, like I said on the other forum, is to talk to your BM rep with this kind of question. That's what they're there for.
To bad all he told me was that Ben is made with better raw materials
I might chunk the Ben amd Keep ultra spec and stock a small amount of Aura Ext make Regal my go to
Amazing how many people conpletely disregard the US because of the label DIYs and Contractors
Old 12-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #20

Quote:
My reply came off way more harsh than intended. I admire your zest for knowledge. Hope your business is a success.
I am a growing and learning boy

Tags
None