My website/ Need your opinion - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 10-25-2008, 01:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View mjkpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default My website/ Need your opinion

Here is the deal-

My wife owns her own company and built her own website kimberlylynnphotography.com. She was nice enough to help me and my partner put together a novice website for our part time painting company. In fact, she put together the site while I cracked open beer after beer!!!!!!

anyway-

My partner and I are both full time high school teachers and coach the high school baseball in the spring so we are limited with the amount of work we can take on and complete. We have tried every avenue to grow this business into something bigger and better by hiring and subbing out work. The fact of the matter is that it's more advantagious for use to do it ourselves after school and on weekends. Therefore, we are part time painters.

After my wife initially put the website up, we received some great feedback and booked quite a bit of work locally as a result of people searching for a painter in our area. We just added some changes that I thought might help

My question is:

Can you guys take a look at the site and give me some CONSTRUCTIVE critisism? Meaning- if you have any suggestions that may help me out please let me know and I won't be offended. Again, I didn't pay for this site and I'm not looking to have this big time website. I just want a few of you guys to say "Hey Mike you know what might work better- badda bing badda boom

Here is my site
www.mjkpainting.com

Thanks guys
mjkpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 02:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000
View JNLP's Photo Album My Photos

Alot of everything is leaning to the left. Maybe center things a little better. Also make your images clickable to enlarge them. Those images are pretty tiny & show no detail on my 1440x900 screen. All look like thumbnails.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:14 AM   #3

You have an image of each of you. Maybe trim them up to be the same size. Throws it off balance having one larger than the other.
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250
View Mantis's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with what JNLP said. Also, I never understood why people have a welcome page. It serves no purpose other than to make the person viewing click the "enter" link to see the page they wanted to see in the first place. I would remove the welcome page and just let your About Us section be your index. Also, go through and optimize your images. For example, your banner image on your info.html is a 2 meg 3000x2082 pic scaled down, via html, to 532x376. It would be neat to turn that into an imagemap where each individual image in that banner could be a seperate link, so people could click and see a larger version of the image. I would add some navigation butons on the top and a sitemap on the bottom to give viewers something to click to go to other pages on your site, right now they have to click their back button to return to the main page.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mantis; 10-25-2008 at 02:33 AM..
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250
View cole191919's Photo Album My Photos

I suggest searching through the internet for some sample website templates. They are free, and not only can either show you how you can display your website, but can also give you tips and guides to how you should coordinate your site.

Basically, I would suggest you make your site more appealing to the eye and easier to navigate. Simple suggestions:

- Make your links at the top of the page as opposed to the bottom.
- Make you pictures enlargeable for people to see more detail when interested. Some of your "before and afters" are remarkable - SHOW THEM OFF.
- Take away the black background: everything is easier to read and gives a calmer presentation if its on a white or light colored background.
- Your home page is confusing. You have a welcome page and then a home page with plenty of pictures, but nothing but links at the bottom. Show off those awesome pics, show off your "about us", your "interior", your "exterior". Your website is not only a source of confirmation, marketing, and information - but a way for you to show prospective customers you really want their businesss.
cole191919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Are you guys licensed for mold removal?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole191919 View Post
I suggest searching through the internet for some sample website templates. They are free, and not only can either show you how you can display your website, but can also give you tips and guides to how you should coordinate your site.
Yep! Sometimes grabbing up a free template & editing it to your likings works great. Already set up working well, just swap out text, images, colors, etc. Here's a few free ones.

http://www.freewebsitetemplates.com/
http://www.templateworld.com/free_templates.html
http://www.freshtemplates.com/web_templates/index.htm
http://www.dreamtemplate.com/templat...Templates.html
http://www.websitetemplates.org/

There are MANY other great sites like those out there. Just do a search for "free webiste templates".
Old 10-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks JNLP, I need to get a website as well.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None