Need advice on tools and first bid!!! Newbie - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By lilpaintchic
  • 1 Post By lilpaintchic
  • 2 Post By goga
  • 2 Post By ParamountPaint
  • 1 Post By TKbrush
  • 1 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By ThreeSistersPainting
  • 1 Post By ThreeSistersPainting
  • 1 Post By Painting Practice
  • 2 Post By CApainter

Old 05-24-2017, 01:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
View artisticrat's Photo Album My Photos
Default Need advice on tools and first bid!!! Newbie

Advice needed!! (I wasn't sure where to post this, figured this is an ok spot)
1.should I buy a used sprayer(some local painters selling 4-10year old models for $200-500) or buy a new titan 440(comes with gun,tip(idk size probably somewhere midrange like a 515) and 50' line + 4 additional tips(special until 5/31) for $825 out the door from a buddy who manages SW store 65miles away)?

2. When it comes to bidding my first official job, I feel confident with my $ (will make$27.80/hr after everything cost wise for the job) but should I drop my price before I send the bid off in hopes of quickly securing the job, or stay firm unless the homeowner gripes about price?
artisticrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

As for the pump, personally, I'd buy the new 1 if you can afford it.
As for the bid, no idea what you "should" do. If you know what it's gonna take to do the job, if your numbers are well thought out and are all inclusive then I'd go with it. Don't be afraid of numbers if they're right. Your market will tell you soon enough where you stand and you can adjust when you have more information. If you always 2nd guess yourself and manipulate the bid just to land the job you're gonna have a hard time growing. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
getrex and artisticrat like this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

And welcome to pt!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
artisticrat likes this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 764
View goga's Photo Album My Photos

I would drop the price to $27.79/hr just to be safe on the "lower price", sleep well mentality, if it bothers you)

On the other hand, to make $27.79/hr there is no a real need to go through all the trouble you are going through to do it on your own, but it all depends..
slinger58 and ParamountPaint like this.
goga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 212
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

You should probably immediately increase your price to make at least $50, but the school of hard knocks is often the best.

If you are looking to be in this for the long haul, buy the new sprayer. It should last a few years without trouble and you will have a better handle on things by then.
Rbriggs82 and lilpaintchic like this.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 406
View TKbrush's Photo Album My Photos

A regular 3" brush, roller, pan, drop coths, 4ft ladder....painting is a trade where you can start without a thousand dollars.
Chela likes this.
TKbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 110
Thanked 15,597 Times in 8,234 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKbrush View Post
A regular 3" brush, roller, pan, drop coths, 4ft ladder....painting is a trade where you can start without a thousand dollars.
Licensing, insurance, bonding, setting up as a legitimate business (in my case an LLC), all cost me considerably more than a thousand. Though I know that in some states you can get going for just the cost of the items you mentioned - but that might not be the wisest way to proceed.
lilpaintchic likes this.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 450
View ThreeSistersPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome!

I was in your spot last January when I decided to start my own painting outfit (Though I didn't launch till May 2nd).

1) If your unsure of making a pump purchase whether it be used or new, maybe you should rent/borrow one for the first job. Otherwise I would refer the New Titan 440, $825 is a smoking deal. I bought mine last year for around $1k.

2) I used Time and Materials for my bids as I didn't know what it would cost me to paint per square foot when I started. You should be getting your material at a Pro rate and should be at least charging shelf price (around here material mark up is 10-20%). Your TIME is where your overhead, fees, permits, whatever costs you may have need to be added in PLUS the wage your looking for (You pay taxes on any income your business makes so you should calculate your state and federal taxes into your bid as well).

I personally spent around $5k for my license, insurance, bond, sprayer, ladders, van insurance, etc. if that number scares you, I made double that my first month in business..
Eagle Cap Painter likes this.
ThreeSistersPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 450
View ThreeSistersPainting's Photo Album My Photos

As far as being concerned about your pricing, you need to be confident about what you present to the homeowner. You'll run your numbers probably 5 times before you settle on your proposed price. I know that when I give a customer a proposal packet that it's the best price I can offer.
radio11 likes this.
ThreeSistersPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 402
View Painting Practice's Photo Album My Photos

I bought a cup gun instead of an airless first because: I could rent an airless and give it back filthy for 50 bucks. The paint stores love to lend out sprayers if you buy up their paint. And because it allows me to offer specialty finishes. At first I would rent an airless a half dozen times a year so it made sense. When I bid, if I am less than sure what I might encounter I figure it roughly by the day instead of hour. I can then have bad days or good days without freaking out by the hour if things are getting sticky. I think if you are calculating hourly anything less than 40 is probably too low, then again every job is different. I have friend rates, family rates, and "I don't like you" rates, among others.
Vylum likes this.
Painting Practice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 406
View TKbrush's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Licensing, insurance, bonding, setting up as a legitimate business (in my case an LLC), all cost me considerably more than a thousand. Though I know that in some states you can get going for just the cost of the items you mentioned - but that might not be the wisest way to proceed.
There you go kids...whatever he says
TKbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:42 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 212
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Sure, why not? Give it the old college try for a bit and report back in 6 months.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:12 AM   #13
RH

Rewards Points: 110
Thanked 15,597 Times in 8,234 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
There you go kids...whatever he says
Yep.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,066
Thanked 9,678 Times in 5,515 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

The beauty of painting is, you don't need anything that requires a power source other than your back. It may be shocking for some, but painting has been accomplished with little more than paint, a ladder, brush, bucket, and roller.

All the fancy stuff, like airless sprayers, festool extractors, and Hootsuite, can all come later once you've accomplished a reputation, and the need presents itself.
Wildbill7145 and Brushy McGee like this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None