need a good long lasting clear coat - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View phildvr's Photo Album My Photos
Default need a good long lasting clear coat

we stain and clear coat a lot of doors here and have used Minwax spar oil base for years. The stain seems to fade under the clear coat the sun is brutle here. I need to find a better spar what do you guys use?
phildvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Shazaam!

Rewards Points: 604
View Different Strokes's Photo Album My Photos

A little advice buddy. The "search" button kinda sucks but it's better than getting slack for asking a question that was already asked two threads below yours. https://www.painttalk.com/f2/better-o...windows-14210/
The Following User Says Thank You to Different Strokes For This Useful Post:
6126 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Pretty much covered there. I'm a big Sikkens fan. Door & Window would be my recommendation. Seems to do the best around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
6126 (06-23-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
View phildvr's Photo Album My Photos

I'm just not too forum savy but I will figure it out
phildvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 374
View propainterJ's Photo Album My Photos

Do you get Mccloskeys Spar Varnish there?It's the best Varnish I know of
propainterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
World Champion

Rewards Points: 150
View HeadHoncho's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1
Pretty much covered there. I'm a big Sikkens fan. Door & Window would be my recommendation. Seems to do the best around here.
I can't stand Sikkens Door and window. Drys too dang slow!

One morning I sampled it... I put 1 coat on stained alder and let it sit all day long, guess what it was still wet and gooey. Next morning I checked it again, soft now not wet. I could scrape it off with my nail soft... like wax! Basically after 3 days it was starting to harden. Then the can says 3 coats???

I guess if I could find someone who wants to pay a fist load of money to use this stuff, then I would probably start to like it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HeadHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Paint Store Owner

It is a softer coating, it doesn't dry rock hard like a floor poly. Dependable on temp and humidity for drying, that is a drawback for sure though. As far as getting people to pay for it, @ $25/qt or so they better be or don't use it.

6126 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHoncho View Post
I can't stand Sikkens Door and window. Drys too dang slow!

One morning I sampled it... I put 1 coat on stained alder and let it sit all day long, guess what it was still wet and gooey. Next morning I checked it again, soft now not wet. I could scrape it off with my nail soft... like wax! Basically after 3 days it was starting to harden. Then the can says 3 coats???

I guess if I could find someone who wants to pay a fist load of money to use this stuff, then I would probably start to like it!
You need to know the product.Read up on it and understand that it is not a wiping stain or a spar varnish.
We offer 2 systems for doors.The quick & cheap is minwax strip,stain & 2 coats clear in 1 day.The other is Sikkens Door & Window.Takes 3 trips

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
6126 (06-23-2011), Rcon (07-04-2011), Rick the painter (06-23-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
It is a softer coating, it doesn't dry rock hard like a floor poly. Dependable on temp and humidity for drying, that is a drawback for sure though. As far as getting people to pay for it, @ $25/qt or so they better be or don't use it.
would it be compatible with a drying agent/accelerator?

TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #10

Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Epiphanes. Done.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Paint View Post
would it be compatible with a drying agent/accelerator?
Good question that I don't know the answer to lol. I know that most of their products they don't like anything added to them. Off the record you might get an "ok" to add something, but I honestly have no idea.

TJ Paint (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Why would you want to?

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
Why would you want to?
i dunno

TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 160
View StevenH's Photo Album My Photos

Minwax Spar Varnish is just Polyurethane with UV inhibitor which is highly subject to UV damage. I wont be surprise if you start to see hair line crack in less than 3 weeks.

I looked at Sikken spec sheet, its an alkyd varnish with UV inhibitor. Which is an excellent varnish for those who want only clear finish for exterior with no color to the wood. it's less amber tone than Epifanes .

Epifanes varnish is the boat industry standard.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...+Clear+Varnish
Problem with Epifanes varnish is that its made from Phenolic resin which contains more ratio of oil ( tung oil, ) which makes it dark amber color. Like the color of co-cola.

It does not matter which varnish you use because they need to be maintained every 3-4 years.
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 712
View robladd's Photo Album My Photos

I have had excellent results with these products.
Attached Images

robladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #16
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
Minwax Spar Varnish is just Polyurethane with UV inhibitor which is highly subject to UV damage. I wont be surprise if you start to see hair line crack in less than 3 weeks.

I looked at Sikken spec sheet, its an alkyd varnish with UV inhibitor. Which is an excellent varnish for those who want only clear finish for exterior with no color to the wood. it's less amber tone than Epifanes .

Epifanes varnish is the boat industry standard.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...+Clear+Varnish
Problem with Epifanes varnish is that its made from Phenolic resin which contains more ratio of oil ( tung oil, ) which makes it dark amber color. Like the color of co-cola.

It does not matter which varnish you use because they need to be maintained every 3-4 years.

Sikkens makes a Marine grade finish as well. It does have an amber tone. The Door & Window product is also available in 4 colors. You can do multiple coats of color, like Aaron did to reach a desired depth. Or a single/double coat of color followed by clear. You can also intermix the colors, or stack coats of different colors. Its by far my favorite Sikkens product, and the only exterior clear that I stock in my stores. Ever since I started using this product, not much else has impressed me.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 160
View StevenH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
Sikkens makes a Marine grade finish as well. It does have an amber tone. The Door & Window product is also available in 4 colors. You can do multiple coats of color, like Aaron did to reach a desired depth. Or a single/double coat of color followed by clear. You can also intermix the colors, or stack coats of different colors. Its by far my favorite Sikkens product, and the only exterior clear that I stock in my stores. Ever since I started using this product, not much else has impressed me.
What exactly is their 4 colors? Is it toners like Minwax polyshade? Except it nots polyurethane.

Last edited by StevenH; 06-23-2011 at 12:11 PM..
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
What exactly is their 4 colors? Is it toners like Minwax polyshade? Except it nots polyurethane.
006 Light oak, 078 Natural, 045 Mahogany, 009 Dark Oak, all colors in a Satin Finish. They also have clear Satin and High Gloss.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #19
World Champion

Rewards Points: 150
View HeadHoncho's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61
You need to know the product.Read up on it and understand that it is not a wiping stain or a spar varnish.
We offer 2 systems for doors.The quick & cheap is minwax strip,stain & 2 coats clear in 1 day.The other is Sikkens Door & Window.Takes 3 trips Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m1J-CoNgm4
When did I ever state that I don't know the product?

HeadHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None