New cedar siding primer - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default New cedar siding primer

On new smooth cedar lap siding what primer do you use? Oil or water base?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
On new smooth cedar lap siding what primer do you use? Oil or water base?
Not a whole lot of cedar lap in these parts but I use oil primer for that kind of work.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #3

Yeah: That's what I have used in the passed, I'm thinking about going with water base this time, just wondered about what you all thought/

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Everything is moving towards water based, with them phasing out oil they will have to deliver a equal product.
I have always been worried to use a water based on cedar and redwood and such because I never wanted to risk the failure.
They are doing good things with the WB products these days though.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Everything is moving towards water based, with them phasing out oil they will have to deliver a equal product.
I have always been worried to use a water based on cedar and redwood and such because I never wanted to risk the failure.
They are doing good things with the WB products these days though.
Yes they are, that all I use. Hate oil base now. it is as good or better.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,802 Times in 2,488 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Its a good idea to clean the wood first even if it is new construction. Since it will be covered by paint, you can use an acidic cleaner (brightener). This will help control your tannins. I also strongly recommend going with a primer that will hold back future tannin bleed. Oil primer, to me, still gets a better bite on wood but the real issue is getting something that works well on cedar.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
johnpaint (07-19-2009)
Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

To bad VP is gone. He has lots of experience with this.

Oil based for me. Afraid to be a water based guinea pig.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

we have tried quick dry oil on new cedar and it doesn't hold and has pop off on us a few times in the last 5 yrs or so we have gone back to the slow drying oils and the still seem to work the best.

I hate working with them but they work, they penetrate and hide tannins period.

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 882
View jacob33's Photo Album My Photos

I have used fresh start acrylic from benjamin moore with good results. You have to leave it a couple days after you prime it but it always seemed to control the tannins and bond real well.
jacob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,532
Thanked 9,578 Times in 5,438 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

This site recommends oil base stain block.http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/prime.php
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
Its a good idea to clean the wood first even if it is new construction. Since it will be covered by paint, you can use an acidic cleaner (brightener). This will help control your tannins. I also strongly recommend going with a primer that will hold back future tannin bleed. Oil primer, to me, still gets a better bite on wood but the real issue is getting something that works well on cedar.
This sounds like a good idea I have to power wash the house anyway.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250
View Rick the painter's Photo Album My Photos

Go with the BM 094 John.Its not what it once was though,its like trying to spred clay.Combine that with a rough surface and its a bear to brush on.Its real annoying to me that our oil products are getting ruined.
Rick the painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #13

Thanks guy's, your a lot of help.well get her done so it will last.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #14
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I have read some articles claiming that acrylic primers are always better, since they grab better (but the same articles also do admit oils penetrate more). I still lean towards the conventional wisdom of oil first. 094 is nice, 100 is much tougher to brush. I have been using 094 on railings with limited success so I am experimenting with PeelBond and BM 100 a little more this season. The PeelBond is not being used on fresh cedar though

Last edited by DeanV; 07-21-2009 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: clarification
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #15

My rep just told me today use peel bond on it. I think what I'm going to do is wash it with brightner, and use peelbond.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:36 AM   #16
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 140
Thanked 8,641 Times in 4,033 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Slow drying oil primer is the way to go. I've tried just about everything else over the years and always ended up with bleed through problems.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfgang For This Useful Post:
MAK-Deco (07-21-2009)
Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #17
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

I've never heard of a wb successfully blocking tannin bleed. Perhaps they will someday. I'm sorry but my reps have told me many things that aren't that helpful. Peelbond from what I've read is good for wood that has coating failure and for chalky surfaces. But I have'nt seen anything saying it is good for new wood with tannin issues.

TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #18
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
I have read some articles claiming that acrylic primers are always better, since they grab better (but the same articles also do admit oils penetrate more). I still lean towards the conventional wisdom of oil first. 094 is nice, 100 is much tougher to brush. I have been using 094 on railings with limited success so I am experimenting with PeelBond and BM 100 a little more this season. The PeelBond is not being used on fresh cedar though
we have gone all 100 this season hate the dry time but not one problem... I have made notes to see how it holds up over time.

some fences we did with cover stain three years ago one new cedar I have some spots that are popping down to fresh wood. I talk to some other guys at my store and they have had cover stain pop pff cedar as well.
I have had success with WB sticking to cedar but not covering bleed.

The Following User Says Thank You to MAK-Deco For This Useful Post:
DeanV (07-21-2009)
Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #19
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I have been questioning 094 lately as well. The only thing I was wondering with 100 is, would it seal the wood so tight that there is no point to putting acrylic stain on the wood as opposed to paint?
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #20
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
I have been questioning 094 lately as well. The only thing I was wondering with 100 is, would it seal the wood so tight that there is no point to putting acrylic stain on the wood as opposed to paint?
that is a good point all tho the 22 new cedar fences we did this year the top coat was satin finish paint as per Associations specs.

I am tho basically treating solid color stain (ProVt) as a flat paint these days anyways.

Tags
None