new const to old repaints.. any one wanna share some advice? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
View scholarlypainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default new const to old repaints.. any one wanna share some advice?

so i started my painting career in new home construction.. then NHC repaints.. which is what i mainly do now..

I just got a lead from a previous customer that wants me to repaint the entire inside of a rental property that is pretty old.. i would guesstimate 80-90 years old.

since im new to this type of home i was wondering if you guys and gals who are more experienced in the "old school" had tips or pointers that i could take into consideration while making my rounds for the estimate.

Thanks a million!
scholarlypainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
speed comes with quality

View nextlevelpaintco.'s Photo Album My Photos

You have the perfect oppurtunity to not only get the job,but charge what you wish.Just listen,in the estimate keep mentioning the facts about lead paint and talk about the proper precautions you should take,I know it does'nt sound like a job getter just yet.But if you keep talking about how you have to take precautions because it is illegal not too and how other paint companys may not do the same wich could then result in a lawsuit,I would say your chances are good for getting the job at the price you want.Remember lead paint,lawsuit,lawsuit,lawsuit
nextlevelpaintco. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
house painter

Rewards Points: 506
View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

yes, i agree, put fear in them first.
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250
View PinnacleResidential's Photo Album My Photos

Customers get scared when they hear lead. Nextlevel is right, we were contracted to paint 6 window frames this summer for a client who had just purchased a 100 year old building. We got triple what we would normally charge because of the lead factor and it only took two days. One day scrape, sand, remove all flakes and remnants, day two paint. They were short days too. Show off some knowledge about the subject and the job should be yours. Take Nextlevels advice. Also, be sure to do a very thorough walk through. Older homes find a way of presenting lots of surprises. A building that old is probably plaster and sheath. Check each and every wall for loose spots. Press those spots too hard with a roller and they will crack away. Also check for other major issues - cracks in gypsum / plaster, sagging areas, etc. These spots will take a lot more time than a quick cut and roll in a new construction. And if it is plaster, double the repair time from what it would be on a typical sheet of drywall because 1, it will take longer, 2, if you screw it up, fixing it is tough.
PinnacleResidential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

ok, you guys do realize that by scaring the HO, you really are telling them why it is illegal for you to do the work too and could face large fines. Unless of course you are certified in lead abatement, which (since it takes at least 2 years) I am sure you all are.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
View Joewho's Photo Album My Photos

Keep in mind that this old house, as a rental, has probably been painted many times already. Any lead has already been encapsulated, so the scare tactic may backfire.

Rental property owners aren't even interested in paying a high price and certaintly not interested in restoration. Restoration would be the time to bring up lead.

Of course, if this were an exterior, you'd have a more legitimate chance to "scare" them with the lead issue.

Pointers to get through a rental property and keep the prices low are to paint walls and ceilings all the same color. Tape the trim rather than cut in. Have some tsp for quick spot cleaning and a spray can of zinnser to cover stains, spots etc.

Inspect thoroughly for clear scotch tape. Use a hammer to pound in nail holes before patching. Don't break the drywall paper, just tap them to make a nice dent that can be patched one time.

Keep some quick drying, fluffy, patching material for last minute patches.

These tips will make the job go super fast, allowing you to price competitively.
Joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextlevelpaintco. View Post
,in the estimate keep mentioning the facts about lead paint and talk about the proper precautions you should take,
But if you keep talking about how you have to take precautions because it is illegal not too and how other paint companys may not do the same wich could then result in a lawsuit,
How many times should he mention it? 20? Tell the HO your concerns in the beginning and maybe throw it at him again when leaving. Most certainly put it in writing when the time comes. But to tell him 20 times gets a WTF, he'll sound like a broken record. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #8

thanks everyone!! i am gonna research the lead paint issue so im prepared to answer questions..

thansk for the heads up on the plaster.. since im used to rock i wouldnt have known..

i appreciate everyone input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewho View Post

Pointers to get through a rental property and keep the prices low are to paint walls and ceilings all the same color. Tape the trim rather than cut in. Have some tsp for quick spot cleaning and a spray can of zinnser to cover stains, spots etc.

Inspect thoroughly for clear scotch tape. Use a hammer to pound in nail holes before patching. Don't break the drywall paper, just tap them to make a nice dent that can be patched one time.

Keep some quick drying, fluffy, patching material for last minute patches.

These tips will make the job go super fast, allowing you to price competitively.
thats good advice! thanks!!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpainting View Post
i was just chatting with sev! Heys cool
This dude is totally sev!
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
house painter

yes, play on their fears,,,,,this is a priority.

definetly bring up lawsuits as soon as you shake their hand,,,,,lead too.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #11
house painter

then maybe fire up a doobie.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:55 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 25
View BADPIG's Photo Album My Photos

I would inform the HO about the likelyhood of running into dryrot and try to wrangle some finish carpentry / replacement type work out of the HO.

Painting an older home presents some level of lead issues and it wouldn't be bad to work in a haz mat fee of some kind, but I wouldn't overdue it.

A compete restoration is likely out of the question being that it is a rental and unless the HO is a perfectionist they aren't going to bite on a full restoration job.

Make the old place look good and hit um up for some basic replacement stuff and a haz mat type fee. Hopefully the total bid should come out a litlle high, yet reasonable to the HO, make the place look nice, and hopefully win you the bid.

Just my .02...
BADPIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #13

the input rocks.. thanks again, keep it coming...
Old 10-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #14

View johnisimpson's Photo Album My Photos

I agree that lead may be an issue but probably a minor one on the interior since it probably already is covered, as JoeWho pointed out. I'd mention it but I have always had a distaste for scare tactic selling.
Also, I wouldn't guess at what level of repaint/renovation they want. Just explain that there are different options and you want to match their expectations to the service you estimate for. Don't guess, let them tell you. They'll tell you whether bottom line pricing or immaculate walls are the deciding factor and you can give them an estimate for exactly what they want. Be sure to explain the potential for some surprises when working with plaster though and good luck.
johnisimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #15

View johnisimpson's Photo Album My Photos

we should all go to their contact page and flood them with questions about spamming the site. http://www.thehardwarecity.com/company/contactUs.htm
johnisimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #16

son of a b**ch i went to the site thinking ... maybe theres some good deals if a member reccomended it..

Spammers need a swift kick in the ass
Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I would inform the HO about the likelyhood of running into dryrot and try to wrangle some finish carpentry / replacement type work out of the HO.

Painting an older home presents some level of lead issues and it wouldn't be bad to work in a haz mat fee of some kind, but I wouldn't overdue it.

A compete restoration is likely out of the question being that it is a rental and unless the HO is a perfectionist they aren't going to bite on a full restoration job.

Make the old place look good and hit um up for some basic replacement stuff and a haz mat type fee. Hopefully the total bid should come out a litlle high, yet reasonable to the HO, make the place look nice, and hopefully win you the bid.

Just my .02... 10-08-2008 07:20 PM
WTF are you talking about
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None