New Construction Q...Six Sides of a Door? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 02-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

I'll piggy back on this thread and ask how often you guys coat six sides of a door on new construction. I do mostly re-paints but I still do a fair amount of new work. Only been asked to six side twice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

Sorry to move this painto
I though it deserved it's own thread
carry on...

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
3rd Generation Painter

Rewards Points: 75
View jackrabbit5's Photo Album My Photos

I do six sides. Read the finishing instructions for ANY new door and they'll tell you that all six sides must be finished, failure to do so will void the warranty. Weather or not failing to finish all 6 sides actually causes any problems with the door is irrelevant, it's my a$$ on the line if something goes wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jackrabbit5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Don't do new construction, actually have been asked once to paint six sides of interior doors.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
"Member"

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by painttofish View Post
I'll piggy back on this thread and ask how often you guys coat six sides of a door on new construction. I do mostly re-paints but I still do a fair amount of new work. Only been asked to six side twice.
Its a must! ...ever warranty your work?
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
FT painter/FT dad

View Rich's Photo Album My Photos

painting all sides is a must as far as paint manufacturers go

we all know not everyone does it every time, but for those who do...they have less to worry about now don't they?

in theory, we all should do it everytime a new door is painted
Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 514
View GMack's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit5 View Post
I do six sides. Read the finishing instructions for ANY new door and they'll tell you that all six sides must be finished, failure to do so will void the warranty. Weather or not failing to finish all 6 sides actually causes any problems with the door is irrelevant, it's my a$$ on the line if something goes wrong.
That is absolutlely right. Moisture can still get in other places so doing six sides I think is questionable in what it really accomplishes but you do it to cover yourself . . . That being said, you know what burns me up? You're doing pre-primed doors that manufacturer says must be painted on all six sides. Well, I guess that doesn't apply to them because many times the tops and bottems of pre-primed doors are not primed. In this case the painter, who would otherwise simply spray (with paint) the doors, now has to take the time to brush primer on the tops and bottems . . . Just another thing to make sure you are charging for!

Mack
GMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10
View candlerpainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default I always paint six sides

I am constantly asked to at least prime top and bottoms of all doors. I hold it up in the middle and my helper hits both sides with sanding sealer. Usually. Sometimes I use poly, primer. Sometimes I buy those little metal foam applicators and hit the bottoms at the end of the job.

I always have to prime the tops and bottoms of most all windows too. I usually use sand and sealer and that usually satisfies the builder. They check these areas too, as do I.

Hope this helps.
candlerpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #9

View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

Not a problem slick, Sounds like a "better to be safe than sorry" issue rather than a coatings failure issue. Like insurance, you gotta have it IN CASE S**T. It is funny that most pre-primed doors are not six sided. Don't worry, the painter will take of it.

painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None