New Construction repaint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos
Default New Construction repaint

We bid on a nc interior back in November we already had a full interior and the exterior on another job for this contractor. The job we didn't get we got a call to go fix the other Painters work, I have done this many many times over the past 18 years, I do not know the painter personally but have seen his work and he usually does good work, I have no idea what happened this time but the whole house needs to be repainted, tons of weak spots (supposed to be 2 coats looks like a watered down 1 coat.) All the trim has boogers, runs and was never sanded. At first it was left we pick and choose the worst parts and repaint, how do you pick and choose when the whole house needs it. I found out today right after we started to fix the bad paint on the trim the contractor wants it all done today, well of course some other trim was added so a day is out now we have a few hours to finish up. I hate jobs like this because I know what our estimate was and it wasn't cheap the other guy was a bit higher but had time as we didn't. I feel bad for the home owner he now has to live with it or pay to have it painted the right way. They just moved in 2 months ago.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 6,848
Thanked 15,531 Times in 8,181 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

This sounds similar to when we're asked to come in and get a property ready to be put on the market. The regular realtors we work with are very realistic about money and scheduling and fully prep their clients about what will likely be involved. But every once in awhile we'll get a call from a new one (this happened to us just last week) whose client wants things to look nice and be well done but doesn't want to give us (or simply doesn't have) the time or budget to do it that way. So, you do what you can with what you have and let the HO know how to get ahold of you for additional repaint work in the future.

If you're conscientious you want to do the job right - but sometimes the situation dictates a realistic alternative. But it will still bug the heck out of you.

Bill Watterson

Last edited by RH; 01-14-2013 at 08:00 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
scottjr (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Delco, Pa

Rewards Points: 502
View scottjr's Photo Album My Photos

I am on a job now where the HO just wants a "freshen up" in a few rooms.
I was straight forward with him and gave him an estimate to have it done right and an estimate to have it done the way he wanted it done. He went with not having it done the right way.

He doesn't want the ceiling or trim painted and the previous painter ran the paint on baseboards and ceiling.

I take pride in my work and want everything to look good so it is hard to see green wavy lines on a white ceiling when you are painting the walls blue.

Oh well. Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone cares about the things I do.
scottjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #4

I have left him the contact info I just don't feel right knowing if we had done it in the first place they would not be going through this. I did forget to mention he is a retired painter and looks closely at every cut and weak spots jump right out at him like they did to me. This GC is a great guy and that other painter just lost out on a GC who knows how to schedule the other trades so no one is rubbing shoulders.
I know I have to draw the line with what the GC says for touching up.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjr View Post
I am on a job now where the HO just wants a "freshen up" in a few rooms.
I was straight forward with him and gave him an estimate to have it done right and an estimate to have it done the way he wanted it done. He went with not having it done the right way.

He doesn't want the ceiling or trim painted and the previous painter ran the paint on baseboards and ceiling.

I take pride in my work and want everything to look good so it is hard to see green wavy lines on a white ceiling when you are painting the walls blue.

Oh well. Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone cares about the things I do.
This has been brought up before. Just how much do you "insist" on doing, or throw in as an extra, in order to make what you do look good?

We've all worked where the previous wall paint has been run up onto the ceiling or onto the trim. It drives us nuts. I know some here have some extra white that they use to do some free touch ups in order to make things look better. I understand where they are coming from, and if it's just a tiny bit here and there I may just take care of it too. But on the other hand, if there's a lot of it and the HO can see the need for doing it properly - yet they don't want to pay to me to make it right - then I feel they get what they've paid for.

More than a few times I've had customers call me up a few months later and ask me to come back and paint the trim because after living with it they see how badly it needed to be done in the first place. If I'd touched it up for free that might never have happened. Not knocking those that chose to do this but IMO if the customer doesn't want to pay for it then why should I just throw it in for free?

Bill Watterson
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Delco, Pa

Rewards Points: 502
View scottjr's Photo Album My Photos

I feel the same way Dan. I gave him the option of getting it done right, for a price. He chose not to so its on him.
Time is money....
scottjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 782
View playedout6's Photo Album My Photos

House guest walks in and looks around the room...homeowner says...we just had it painted . Guest thinking to themselves...Hmmm....I certainly would not want that painter !!!

As A rule I try and convince them to do the whole thing...some do and some don't . I also usually end up doing a few of the other guys touch ups even though I should not have to do so . Like RH tells it...time is money and I think we have to kind of weigh the whole thing out in each particular case . Fixing some will pay off for you and on some it won't make a darn bit of difference whatsoever .
playedout6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to playedout6 For This Useful Post:
David's Painting (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
RH

Just make sure you point out these issues to the HO before you begin work. I always want them to know it was there before I do my part so they don't suddenly become "aware" of it after I'm done.

Bill Watterson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
David's Painting (01-14-2013), playedout6 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 AM   #9

View Finn's Photo Album My Photos

While doing the estimate, this is one of the things I look for as well as the ceiling , wall interface, if HO does not want the trim done I build it into the price for doing the walls only. It does not take me long getting round the trim, i still make profit and tge job is left looking good,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:
playedout6 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchhound View Post
Just make sure you point out these issues to the HO before you begin work. I always want them to know it was there before I do my part so they don't suddenly become "aware" of it after I'm done.
I don't have to point anything out to the HO, heck you don't even have to look close to see the mistakes, this is one of the worst NC paint jobs I have ever seen, I will take pics today and post some.

Tags
None