New - power washer purchase - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 09-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos
Default New - power washer purchase

Hey everyone,

Looking to upgrade our power washer. Have a cheapie from Home Depot. Actually got it on the fly because our old one broke and we were in the middle of a job.

Long story short, looking to buy another one. Yes, I already searched the forums and read a bunch of old threads about washers, external unloaders, etc.

Jury is still out which brands are actually worth it. I understand Cat pumps are best, but cost a lot to fix and may or may not be worth the additional money to get.

I'd say we use the power washer maybe once every week or once every two weeks, depending on work load. So it isn't a lot, but I don't want a small unit because if we do get large jobs I like to have the capacity. Capacity is what it comes down to, without stupidly spending large amounts of money when not necessary.

My choices currently are:
Graco - GForce II 4040
Price: Approx $1,800.00

Mi-T-M - Job Pro 4000
Price: Approx $1,600(ish).

I'm basically going to be using this to clean roofs prior to elastomeric coatings, stucco, and concrete floors (garages, etc.).

I'm planning on getting a good surface cleaner attachment, possible northern tool wet sand blasting attachment, washing broom attachment (4 nozzle head). Basically, clean stuff faster.

Interested to hear the thoughts on the units and between the two which might last me the longest and do the best job.

Note: Couldn't find out if the Graco had an external unloader. The Mi-T-M apparently does, according to them. Both are belt driven and I believe are both 4gpm with 4,000 psi.

Thanks again!!
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

We've had good luck with Mi-T-M washers. Be sure and turn off the gas switch when transporting the sprayer. Switch should be off unless you are using it. If it is left on while transporting then oil and gas tend to slosh together and gum up the works. We've had a number of machines succumb to this problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roamer For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 138
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos

You can never go wrong with Mi-T-M Washers! Could you give us more info on that 4k PSI Unit since there are many variations of it? For example is it the Aluminum series that Mi-T-M offers? Does it have the Honda unit and an AR Pump? Or is it the CA series with the isolation plate to reduce vibrations (highly beneficial) It could also be the CA 4004 IMGTL with a general pump and an external bypass Lastly send me a Private message and I can let you know how to get the CBA Beltdrive with the general pump at an amazing price!
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,468
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

I don't know about the units you are looking at, mine is from Northern Tool. I have a 13 horse Honda engine on mine, one of the reasons I bought it, and it runs real strong all day long. I have had it for 15 years and only changed the oil and plug. I use it like you about once a week in the summer. I have the non mark yellow heavy duty hose as well.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 20
View Paint Chip's Photo Album My Photos

I have the mi-ti-m 4000psi belt driven with general pump and Honda engine. Very happy with it.
Paint Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paint Chip For This Useful Post:
ElTacoPaco (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

You probably can't go wrong with either unit. I really liked my BE pressure washer and have heard good things about Pressure Pro as well.

Last year I built a custom direct drive pressure washer with a Honda engine, 5gpm @ 3000 PSI and Udor pump. Because I use it infrequently I went the direct drive route because it's a lot lighter and I was worried about getting it into my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:03 AM   #7
Troy

Rewards Points: 10
Thanked 2,561 Times in 1,126 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Congrats on your upcoming purchase! Both are fine machines. Both could serve you well for years to come, given the amount of use you stated it would receive. You're deciding between 2 belt dive 4GPM, 4K PSI rigs...there's no loser. Probably either would come with the Honda GX390, (awesome workhorse).

One suggestion as far as surface cleaners though. People often think bigger is better, but a good rule of thumb is you need 1 GPM for every 4" of surface cleaner, so you could get up to a 16" and still achieve optimum results. Anything bigger and you'll end up having to move very slow. The best 16' surface cleaner on the planet is the Whisper Wash Ultra Clean, just FYI. Russ at Southside Equipment I think still has the best price around for it.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #8

Thanks all. Sounds like a majority favor or at least say mi-t-m. Seems like it might be a more trusted purchase.

Next year I'd like to be doing a stucco job a week, that'd the goal. So getting a unit now to keep up or be able to handle it is what I am after.

Here's the unit I was thinking about.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10
View Allsurface's Photo Album My Photos

New - power washer purchase-imageuploadedbypainttalk.com1473947093.968862.jpg

I've had this guy for about 15 years. 9 hp 3000 psi
I only use it about 10 times or less a year though. We have heavy winter so it ends up staying in the shed and freezing.
I was never really good on maintaining it. In about four years ago I had to replace the pump, and that was about $ 270 delivered.
And I swapped them out about half an hour. I paid about 1800 Canadian at the time.
I'm going to guess that most of the inner workings of all of these high-end pressure washers are the same. But whichever one you choose I would find out how readily available the pump is and what it costs so you don't have to buy another pressure washer when something happens.
Allsurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 20
View Paint Chip's Photo Album My Photos

That's the rig I have. Very nice machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcoyote View Post
Thanks all. Sounds like a majority favor or at least say mi-t-m. Seems like it might be a more trusted purchase.

Next year I'd like to be doing a stucco job a week, that'd the goal. So getting a unit now to keep up or be able to handle it is what I am after.

Here's the unit I was thinking about.
Paint Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paint Chip For This Useful Post:
woodcoyote (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Chip View Post
That's the rig I have. Very nice machine.
Well that's some good news right there.

Going to call the mitm rep and see what he says about attachments and stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodcoyote For This Useful Post:
ElTacoPaco (09-16-2016)

Tags
None