new yorkers? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
View goos3burt's Photo Album My Photos
Default new yorkers?

Hi guys,

Got a question aimed for new yorkers or anyone with knowledge to the subject.

I have been painting for a couple years on and off, worked for a reputable company for about a year until it had a shortage of work and was laid off. Haven't got a certification or anything like that as of yet.

I recently was thinking about starting my own painting business as a solo house painter and as far as my research tells me, you don't need to be licensed or certified in the state of new york to be a residential painter. I plan on working by myself, does anyone have any suggestions or pointers regarding the legalities of going this specific route?

I understand it would help to be licensed and/or certified. What I would really like to know, is it mandatory to be licensed/certified/contractors license in the state of new york to be a residential painter?

Thanks guys

Last edited by goos3burt; 01-30-2014 at 09:48 PM..
goos3burt is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

I'm not from Ny but I would highly suggest you get Insurance as soon as possible.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #3

I am looking into getting general liabilty insurance right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goos3burt View Post
I am looking into getting general liabilty insurance right now.
If you have to deal with lead paint I would also suggest getting your RRP license. You may not have to deal with the lead paint I'm not sure how it is out there, around here tons of homes have it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
goos3burt (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
If you have to deal with lead paint I would also suggest getting your RRP license. You may not have to deal with the lead paint I'm not sure how it is out there, around here tons of homes have it.
I don't think i'd be dealing with lead paint much. So far i haven't needed it or worked a job that my co workers needed to use it.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10
View ProductionPainting's Photo Album My Photos

I lived an worked in Central New York doing a lot of work all over NY for almost 10 years. You don't need anything. But it is a good idea to have insurance.
The only thing I can't say for certain is when you get into the city. I worked around NYC but never on my own so I don't know what's involved.
I did do work on my own from Albany to the western side towards Pa and never had any trouble.
ProductionPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ProductionPainting For This Useful Post:
goos3burt (01-31-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 2,143 Times in 896 Posts
View ExcelPaintingCo's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by goos3burt
I don't think i'd be dealing with lead paint much. So far i haven't needed it or worked a job that my co workers needed to use it.
Rrp certification isn't for using lead paint. It is required training for properly working on homes built before 1978 that may contain old lead paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ExcelPaintingCo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ExcelPaintingCo For This Useful Post:
goos3burt (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Not that you know of? Perhaps... lead concerns everyone when you have to mess with it. Children or pregnant woman around,? Hope you get schooled about it before the time comes you think you need it.
goos3burt (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 12:19 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the useful information. I will look into the rrp certification ASAP. Really appreciate all the help.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10
View ProductionPainting's Photo Album My Photos

No problem. What part of Ny are ya in? I still have some contacts in a few places and my brother is still in CNY.
ProductionPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ProductionPainting For This Useful Post:
goos3burt (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 12:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the useful information. I will look into the rrp certification ASAP. Really appreciate all the help.
If you are the only person you will have working you will need to get certified and then get your license. If you have more than one person one of you will need the license.

Yes check into it asap. You don't need that to bite you in the arse. The fines for not being licensed are pretty high.

Some states have their own RRP rules some states follow the EPA rules so me being from MA (and not planning on working in NY) I'm not sure what the NY RRP rules are or if they have their own separate from the EPA.

Lead paint for use on homes was banned in 1978.

Did you ever have to wear a tyvec suit? Lay out tarps before when working on a home, Seal a room with plastic covering the doors? If so you may have been dealing with lead paints.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:46 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post

Did you ever have to wear a tyvec suit? Lay out tarps before when working on a home, Seal a room with plastic covering the doors? If so you may have been dealing with lead paints.
No offense cdpainting, I wear tyvek suits, cover rooms with plastic, and lay out tarps on many jobs that are not lead areas. Plus if his foreman made him do that for lead he would have been told as to why I think. ]
Old 01-31-2014, 02:46 AM   #13

View MKap's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize

No offense cdpainting, I wear tyvek suits, cover rooms with plastic, and lay out tarps on many jobs that are not lead areas. Plus if his foreman made him do that for lead he would have been told as to why I think. ]
I wouldn't be so sure. I've seen guys sanding down houses in t-shirts, shorts and no mask that I'd bet my last dollar on were lead covered.

Either way, do you really want to start a business and invest in rrp work? Sounds like a quick way to go broke if you have no experience.
MKap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,142
Thanked 1,035 Times in 463 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Our company provides RRP Certification Clasess 3 times a month. We are in Stratford CT. If you need to attend a class PM me and I will give you the dates. Good luck and wish you success.
NACE is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NACE For This Useful Post:
goos3burt (01-31-2014), ltd (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

More than liability ins, I feel workers comp has more value.

Liability insurance is a scam and really doesn't cover your ass if you damage a HO's "personal" property, automobile, and other typical objects painters can damage.

Workers comp covers YOU if you are injured.

Speaking of Liability Insurance, once more I implore people to take the time and READ that freaking policy THOROUGHLY. Many folks do not fully understand where they are NOT covered. The exclusions are disheartening.

Case in point: With the typical boilerplate policy they all use, if you spill paint on that multi thousand dollar oriental area rug, you are NOT covered (personal property), but if you spill paint on that 35 / S.F. Home Depot installed wall to wall playroom carpet, you ARE covered (real property). Moving an heirloom 18th century Louis XV bureau and break it's leg? Not covered. Scratch the formica on a built-in counter? Covered.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
More than liability ins, I feel workers comp has more value.

Liability insurance is a scam and really doesn't cover your ass if you damage a HO's "personal" property, automobile, and other typical objects painters can damage.

Workers comp covers YOU if you are injured.

Speaking of Liability Insurance, once more I implore people to take the time and READ that freaking policy THOROUGHLY. Many folks do not fully understand where they are NOT covered. The exclusions are disheartening.

Case in point: With the typical boilerplate policy they all use, if you spill paint on that multi thousand dollar oriental area rug, you are NOT covered (personal property), but if you spill paint on that 35 / S.F. Home Depot installed wall to wall playroom carpet, you ARE covered (real property). Moving an heirloom 18th century Louis XV bureau and break it's leg? Not covered. Scratch the formica on a built-in counter? Covered.

Very good points Bill. Our Ins covers more of our tools for us than the customers personal property. Plus check your deductible. We pay extra for a lower deductible.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
None taken. I know some of you do dress up like that when your working, We also seal off room we are painting if they have kids or pets.. I was just tossing those out there as some possibilities that he may have been dealing with lead paint.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKap View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. I've seen guys sanding down houses in t-shirts, shorts and no mask that I'd bet my last dollar on were lead covered.

Either way, do you really want to start a business and invest in rrp work? Sounds like a quick way to go broke if you have no experience.
We see that much to often around here. I am just glad our local inspector is usually on top of that.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #19
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Yes Dave,

Liability covers stolen or destroyed tools and equipment more than mistakes and damage.

Those who have invested a lot in tools, definitely should have them covered (not sure "liability" insurance is the only option).

But for me, I wonder if it would cost me $2,000 to replace ALL my wallpapering tools with new. Hell, if I took delivery of a HO's wallpaper and it was destroyed on the way to the job, I would not be covered because the paper was not mine. I did not pay for it.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Yes Dave,

Liability covers stolen or destroyed tools and equipment more than mistakes and damage.

Those who have invested a lot in tools, definitely should have them covered (not sure "liability" insurance is the only option).

But for me, I wonder if it would cost me $2,000 to replace ALL my wallpapering tools with new. Hell, if I took delivery of a HO's wallpaper and it was destroyed on the way to the job, I would not be covered because the paper was not mine. I did not pay for it.
Our ins agent told us we could get a separate policy to cover just our tools.(We would need to submit all receipts at time of purchase) We have 20k in tool coverage weather it's on the job site, in the van or stored at my house. We do insure our big sprayer separate as well.
I just don't know if they give replacement value or depreciate the used tools. I have to check into this since we have to up our coverage from 2.5 mil to 5 mil. (requirement for a GC we are trying to hook up with) I will ask him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
goos3burt (01-31-2014), Gough (01-31-2014)

Tags
None