Not CLOSE talkers, not SOFT talkers, just talkers. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree25Likes

Old 09-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 62
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos
Default Not CLOSE talkers, not SOFT talkers, just talkers.

I admit that working on my own for the most part makes me a talker when I do get to talk to a customer or homeowner which is generally pretty rare in this day and age with everyone so busy. The problem arises when both the husband and the wife (customers) are talkers. Combine that with my opportunity to talk, and, well, I don't get much painting done. I have HO's now that are obviously excited about making improvements to their home........that's the good part. The bad part is that a 2 minute conversation turns into a 1/2 hour or 45 minute deal and this puts me waaaayyyyyy behind for the day.

Today's conversation was about the first computers that came to the local high school in the early 80's and how programs for those computers were written on cassette tapes.

I guess I've never mastered the "paint as you talk" method of production.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (09-28-2016), Sir Mixalot (09-28-2016), slinger58 (09-28-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Building relationships IS work. It's just a different kind of work but very, very valuable.
CApainter, slinger58 and futtyos like this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-29-2016), Wolfgang (10-04-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,224
Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,493 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I've never mastered this. I've had some 'talkers' who can waste a day yapping at you all day long. Some good people, just didn't worry about your time.

Last couple of days I've been dealing with a virtually deaf old man. He doesn't talk much, but does just stand behind you and stare at you working which is worse.

I hate having people watching me work. I don't know what it is, but it bugs me.

I'd rather have talkers. I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (09-29-2016), Gymschu (09-29-2016), SemiproJohn (09-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 234
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
I've never mastered this. I've had some 'talkers' who can waste a day yapping at you all day long. Some good people, just didn't worry about your time.

Last couple of days I've been dealing with a virtually deaf old man. He doesn't talk much, but does just stand behind you and stare at you working which is worse.

I hate having people watching me work. I don't know what it is, but it bugs me.

I'd rather have talkers. I think.
I'm with you, man. If you hired me to do it, just go away and let me do it in peace....

If you don't trust me for some reason, then don't have me do it. Alternatively, if you want to know how I do things so you can learn something, then just tell me. I'll be glad to show you what I'm doing and why and explain it all.
futtyos likes this.
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe67 For This Useful Post:
SemiproJohn (09-28-2016), Wildbill7145 (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #5

It is funny how some people have to watch. They just can't help themselves. The only positive I have gathered from the "WATCHERS" is that they will relay your quality techniques to others. "Wow, you should see how that guy cuts in a wall." "Man, he sure is fast with that roller." "I've never seen anyone be so neat when painting."

It's negative to me in that it is the same feeling I always got when taking a test and a teacher would lean over your shoulder watching what you were doing.
Wildbill7145 likes this.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

For the "watchers" a quick bomb can of primer gets rid of them fairly quickly.... something ALWAYS needs primer..lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
804 Paint (09-29-2016), Gymschu (09-29-2016), thamberg (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,866
Thanked 9,599 Times in 5,451 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

When I was younger, I enjoyed talking with elderly people rather than the boomer, or yuppy homeowners. I really felt I was exercising an important civic duty lending myself as a listening platform for an older individuals life history, worries, sorrows, and hopes.

In my late thirties through my forties, and after moving along to a more industrial environment, I just simply shut down rather than listen to all the blowhard co workers brag about their toys, abilities, and audacious plans.

Now that I'm in my mid fifties, I'm finding the time to listen to more people's personal stories, and concerns, regardless of age, personality, or stature. And the more questions I ask, the more willing people are to share. I wonder if this is a consequence of social media, but it sure makes standing in a long line a lot more bearable.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-29-2016), lilpaintchic (09-29-2016), painterina (10-02-2016), PRC (09-29-2016), slinger58 (09-29-2016), Wildbill7145 (09-30-2016), Wolfgang (10-04-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
RH

Rewards Points: 5,954
Thanked 15,444 Times in 8,111 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
It is funny how some people have to watch. They just can't help themselves. The only positive I have gathered from the "WATCHERS" is that they will relay your quality techniques to others. "Wow, you should see how that guy cuts in a wall." "Man, he sure is fast with that roller." "I've never seen anyone be so neat when painting."

It's negative to me in that it is the same feeling I always got when taking a test and a teacher would lean over your shoulder watching what you were doing.
As a retired teacher I will say that there was usually a reason we had to look over the shoulders of some students at test time.
Gymschu likes this.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #9
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
For the "watchers" a quick bomb can of primer gets rid of them fairly quickly.... something ALWAYS needs primer..lol
Another kind of "bomb" can also be pretty effective in dispersing the looky loos.
Gymschu likes this.

Bill Watterson
Old 09-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #10

Lol! yes indeed....that can be VERY effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
RH (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 16
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Another kind of "bomb" can also be pretty effective in dispersing the looky loos.
As a residential painter, I simply will not pooter in the presence of those who will be writing me a check. Money before gas warfare.
RH (09-29-2016), slinger58 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #12
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiproJohn View Post
As a residential painter, I simply will not pooter in the presence of those who will be writing me a check. Money before gas warfare.
Oh hell no! Never against those with payment capabilities. That action is strictly reserved for children and unwanted pets.

Bill Watterson
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
SemiproJohn (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Oh hell no! Never against those with payment capabilities. That action is strictly reserved for children and unwanted pets.
Ahh, the children "watchers." They can be an interesting breed. Seemingly watching quietly yet secretly wanting to pick up that brush and roller and give it a whirl. Had a customer whose kids 4 and 6 "just wanted to help the painter. Let them paint something." I did. And they proceeded to paint the clear coated oak doors, or at least parts of them until they got bored 5 minutes later.
SemiproJohn likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
chrisn (10-01-2016), journeymanPainter (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 224
View Betheweb's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I admit that working on my own for the most part makes me a talker when I do get to talk to a customer or homeowner which is generally pretty rare in this day and age with everyone so busy. The problem arises when both the husband and the wife (customers) are talkers. Combine that with my opportunity to talk, and, well, I don't get much painting done. I have HO's now that are obviously excited about making improvements to their home........that's the good part. The bad part is that a 2 minute conversation turns into a 1/2 hour or 45 minute deal and this puts me waaaayyyyyy behind for the day.

Today's conversation was about the first computers that came to the local high school in the early 80's and how programs for those computers were written on cassette tapes.

I guess I've never mastered the "paint as you talk" method of production.
I have that problem with Sherwin-Williams. I can spend hours there. For some reason, my wife doesn't share my fascination with rheology profiles.
Betheweb is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Betheweb For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-30-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 04:34 AM   #15
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Being that I am by myself most days, I don't mind a short conversation with clients( as long as they are going out the door). Then I proceed to talk to myself all day. Nothing better than cranking the music in an empty house and my mom always told me it's ok to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer.
CApainter (10-01-2016), lilpaintchic (10-01-2016), painterina (10-02-2016), SemiproJohn (10-02-2016), slinger58 (10-01-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 104
View painterina's Photo Album My Photos

I too would prefer to be left alone and carry one with my monoloque all day. Or listen to 18th century composers.

Every (quiet) painter seems to have some memorable clients who are avid talkers. Off the top of my head is a retired man who knows a lot more than I do about almost anything, and he is always eager to share. I noticed when he talked, if his wife was there, she would silently go to another room. I guess I was one of his new favorite friends. It was in a way an almost perfect conversation --one man talked, the other listened and learned (and worried about the half-painted door at the same time..) One day he talked passionately about his collection of the native American Indian baskets and their history --some were rare and beautiful, highly sought after art items...

On a different note, I'm reminded of another client who is seemingly taciturn. In the morning, he opened the front door and said "Good morning L." That was it for the day. His wife is talkative, but he seems to be a man of few words. He is an elderly lawyer.
painterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 16
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterina;1286841[B
]I too would prefer to be left alone and carry one with my monoloque all day. Or listen to 18th century composers. [/B]

Every (quiet) painter seems to have some memorable clients who are avid talkers. Off the top of my head is a retired man who knows a lot more than I do about almost anything, and he is always eager to share. I noticed when he talked, if his wife was there, she would silently go to another room. I guess I was one of his new favorite friends. It was in a way an almost perfect conversation --one man talked, the other listened and learned (and worried about the half-painted door at the same time..) One day he talked passionately about his collection of the native American Indian baskets and their history --some were rare and beautiful, highly sought after art items...

On a different note, I'm reminded of another client who is seemingly taciturn. In the morning, he opened the front door and said "Good morning L." That was it for the day. His wife is talkative, but he seems to be a man of few words. He is an elderly lawyer.
Although I have never used music in a home with occupant/s present, I did do some work a couple of years ago in a house whose owner listened to classical music all day. I must say, I enjoyed that immensely and found it very easy to work under its "spell" AND mentally stimulating, which is an unusual occurrence for me when painting.
CApainter, chrisn and slinger58 like this.

Last edited by SemiproJohn; 10-02-2016 at 02:42 PM..
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SemiproJohn For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,866
Thanked 9,599 Times in 5,451 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

How about singing. Does anyone here sing at work? I save my best falsettos for the ladies. The boomers seem to dig it more than the millenials.
Gymschu likes this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Although I have never used music in a home with occupant/s present, I did do some work a couple of years ago in a house whose owner listened to classical music all day. I must say, I enjoyed that immensely and found it very easy to work under its "spell" AND mentally stimulating, which is an unusual occurrence for me when painting.
Jazz has the same affect..; )
Old 10-04-2016, 02:04 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 104
View painterina's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
If I have an urge to listen to music when homeowner is home, I'd turn the volume down, just a little louder than conversation in library.

I like the sound of orchestral instruments. And the different states of mind evoked by music --cheerful, elated, grandiose, melancholy, yearning, depressed.. Sometimes when I heard homeowners' kids practicing piano, I stopped and listened. One afternoon a homeowner (a music teacher) played some Chopin's nocturnes at his leisure. The piano sound was so huge and warm, like in the concert hall, I stood still in the next room and enjoyed immensely.

The composers are long gone, their emotive expressions still here, hitherto mute and hidden, relived in many others once more..
painterina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to painterina For This Useful Post:
SemiproJohn (10-04-2016), Wolfgang (10-04-2016)

Tags
None