Obama hopes U.S. will paint roofs white - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View NE MPLS's Photo Album My Photos
Default Obama hopes U.S. will paint roofs white

http://green.yahoo.com/news/afp/2009...ritainchu.html

If this subject is already under debate I apologize. I just thought it was interesting.
NE MPLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

I want to get on that band wagon. Green and it sounds easy. How hard is spraying out a roof?
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah NEPS he was trying to make it illegal for cars to be painted a dark color in California

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

I read that this morning too. I am game to paint some roofs white. If you think about it, a roof has lots of surface area that you would think we can use for a better purpose than to shingle it and radiate the heat. Seems so logical to "bottle" up that energy and use it elsewhere or at least coat the roof white and ease the AC units. Try taxing me on radiant energy from the sun. People are creatures of habit and since we have always shingled a roof, we don't use our thinking caps to innovate a new adaptive way of roof material. What kind of product would we use? Elstromeric?
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #5

Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

Up here in the frozen tundra ( Mn) the dark roofs help for 8 months of the year!
BrushJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 192
Thanked 8,658 Times in 4,040 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushJockey View Post
Up here in the frozen tundra ( Mn) the dark roofs help for 8 months of the year!
Spray one side white and the other side dark...then just flip them for the seasons.

I gotta feeling the next 4 years is gonna be real interesting......
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

I just wish they would tell me what to eat. I hate doing all that thinking everyday

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
tsevnami

View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushJockey View Post
yah same here. They also have these new windows that qualify for energy star tax credits for $1500 because they don't let the sun heat your house up. Well here we build houses specifically for solar gain because of our sweet winters.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

I was just thinking about this the other day too. Collecting that heat and USING it. Solar panels (either photo-voltaic or heat collectors) would gather the energy from the sun while shading the roof.

Have I told you all about my home made solar water heater? three coils of 1" black irrigation hose on the roof. I can take an outdoor shower from late April til late September. Have also connected it to the clothes washer. If I could figure out a way of using the electric water heater that died last summer as a holding tank for night use, I would.

Bender, eat lots of red meat, cheese, and chocolate. The stuff you hear about fish and vegetables is just propaganda from the fish and vegetable lobbyists

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25
View lugi's Photo Album My Photos

Paint it white and get the green stuff under the table. LOL...
lugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Im on it brother

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None